Netflix - Ireland & UK, working for anyone?

After talking with WD tech support. I have been informed that netflix will be available on the WD tv live hub on the next firmware update. However they were unable to tell me when this update will be available., but it will be soon.

Unfortunately, someone in tech support isn’t paying attention.  Netflix will never be available on the Live Hub for the UK/Ireland.  At this time it is only available on the SMP.   And, unfortunately, when I say “at this time,” I don’t mean until a firmware update. 

Any idea how to get the SMP to connect to Netflix in the UK ? I keep getting a message saying it is unable to connect.

I’d like to ask about the WD TV Live Plus. I bought this last august in the USA where I tested it against Netflix and it worked.

Now I’m in ireland and have been anxiously waiting the launch of Netflix.

Shocked and disappointed that Netflix does not work on the device.

Please WD, give us an update!

MrFroggy wrote:
Any idea how to get the SMP to connect to Netflix in the UK ? I keep getting a message saying it is unable to connect.

Are you sure that you have the NEW Live Streaming player?

slacey wrote:

I’d like to ask about the WD TV Live Plus. I bought this last august in the USA where I tested it against Netflix and it worked.

Now I’m in ireland and have been anxiously waiting the launch of Netflix.

Shocked and disappointed that Netflix does not work on the device.

Please WD, give us an update!

I think that you will find that the LIve Plus will only work in the States / Canada and will never work in the UK.

WD should put out a general notice saying which players can and definitely can’t get Netflix.

This knowledge base answer does imply that only the NEW Live streaming player is compatable.

Critical: Only the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player supports Netflix in the UK and Ireland. Other devices (including the _ WD TV Live Hub Media Center _) are not compatible.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8696

That’s what it says on the box. WDTV live streaming media player. It’s been updated to the latest firmware. Can access BBC iPlayer without any problem but can’t connect to Netflix.

MrFroggy wrote:
That’s what it says on the box. WDTV live streaming media player. It’s been updated to the latest firmware. Can access BBC iPlayer without any problem but can’t connect to Netflix.

Have you tried resetting the unit?

Yes I have tried resetting it, rolling back to previous firmware and upgrading to the new one again but nothing’s solved the connection problem. I keep getting a message that says unable to connect to Netflix. Whereas I have no problem accessing Netflix on my computer, tablet, phone.

MrFroggy wrote:
Yes I have tried resetting it, rolling back to previous firmware and upgrading to the new one again but nothing’s solved the connection problem. I keep getting a message that says unable to connect to Netflix. Whereas I have no problem accessing Netflix on my computer, tablet, phone.

You could try ringing the WD support line. They may be able to help. If they can’t get you working they may have to replace your player.

Cheers. Although I doubt there is anything wrong with the SMP as all the other apps work fine and I can stream perfectly from my NAS. I think there is something wrong with the netflix app. Can you access netflix ?

I am in ireland and it works for me on the STREAMING version… See my earlier post about firmware/timezone setting… Not sure if that makes a different

maybe post the p/n that is on the back of the device , mine is WDBGXT0000NBK

MrFroggy wrote:
Cheers. Although I doubt there is anything wrong with the SMP as all the other apps work fine and I can stream perfectly from my NAS. I think there is something wrong with the netflix app. Can you access netflix ?

Yes I can. Where are you located in the UK and where did you buy your Live streaming player. What message (if any) do you get when you attempt to access Netflix.

glennroche wrote:

hi

i sent back my Media Hub and got the Streamer version instead.

I have NetFlix working now. BBC iPlayer does not work however. I can choose a program but then it just throws back an error with little detail.

Should BBC iPlayer work in Ireland ?

Which part of Ireland (northern or southern). Can you stream it on a PC? What does the message say?

South East England / Surrey. Bought the SMP online at Pixmania.com
Error message is as follows : Unable to connect to netflix. Please try again or visit www.netflix.com/tvhelp
Then in the bottom right corner of the error message box there is the number 502.

Mine is WDBGXT0000BK-EESN

MrFroggy wrote:
South East England / Surrey. Bought the SMP online at Pixmania.com
Error message is as follows : Unable to connect to netflix. Please try again or visit www.netflix.com/tvhelp
Then in the bottom right corner of the error message box there is the number 502.

I should talk to WD support. With the new Live streaming player you should be able to stream from Netflix in the UK. I believe that your device is not giving the correct info to Netflix. It does not matter that the other apps stream OK. WD Support should either give you further info or send you one that works. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8696

I don’t have that EESN … Maybe Support might know what that refers to , mjne is just WDBGXT0000NBK-01

I am in the Republic of Ireland, with netflix working but not BBc iplayer… But yes that’s probably restricted from us here in the republic

MrFroggy wrote:
Mine is WDBGXT0000BK-EESN

Is that  WDBGXT0000NBK-EESN?

glennroche wrote:
I don’t have that EESN … Maybe Support might know what that refers to , mjne is just WDBGXT0000NBK-01

I am in the Republic of Ireland, with netflix working but not BBc iplayer… But yes that’s probably restricted from us here in the republic

It would be restricted if you are in Southern Ireland. It geo-locates your ISP.