Netflix - Ireland & UK, working for anyone?

MrFroggy wrote:
South East England / Surrey. Bought the SMP online at Pixmania.com
Error message is as follows : Unable to connect to netflix. Please try again or visit www.netflix.com/tvhelp
Then in the bottom right corner of the error message box there is the number 502.

This one

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/11166469/art/western-digital/wdbgxt0000nbk-wd-tv-live.html

Yes, missed the N.

when i contacted tech support at WD they checked and were adamant that there will be an update to the WD live TV Hub, to allow full operation of Netflix.

Netflix has only been out for less than a week. Tech support  insisted that  the next firmware update will include Netflix and he double checked with other tech support staff regarding this situation.

Yes that’s the one. Was going to buy from another online retailer but they were out of stock.

I just received mine from pixmania yesterday, same model number as your and keep getting the same error 502 message too :frowning:

For those who have got a working unit, where did you buy it from ?
Seankel, is it just Netflix which is causing you troubles ?

Yeah just Netflix not working. Iplayer, Facebook, YouTube all working.

I got mine from pixmania.ie. (which is working)

Same issue here. WD TV Live Streaming arrived from Pixmania the other day. Netflix app gves the 502 error, no opportunity to sign in. Xbox, iPhone, Mac can all access Netflix perfectly. Contacted Netflix tech support who had no answers beyond the standard power cycling etc. I am in Ireland btw.

The Wd Tv can access the US Netflix if you use certain DNS settings, this leads me to suspect that the issue may be some kind of geo lock. 

Will contact WD support by phone on monday.

Was thinking along the same line. The problem is that nothing guarantees that a replacement unit won’t have the same problem.

I based in northern Ireland so should be running of the uk service.

mabe if people compared the first part of their IP address it might show a pattern … Just a thought …

I still believe it is your WDTV. I assume that all of you can access Netflix on your computer so it should have nothing to do with your IP. Ring WD and get them to sort it out.

Yeah can access Netflix from iPad and laptop. Def gonna give them a call on Monday.

Well … I have changed the SMP DNS address and Netflix is now working … this is rather strange.

MrFroggy wrote:
Well … I have changed the SMP DNS address and Netflix is now working … this is rather strange.

What DNS settings did you use?I think I tried Google DNS at some point but it didn’t work.

I’m still getting an error, even after rolling back to the previous version, setting my date/time, and then upgrading to current  version of software. Will play about with DNS settings a bit and if that doesn’t work I’ll give WD customer support a call. (But I do love to get things working by myself!!)

Using tiscali DNS : http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/dns.htm
Go to network settings, change automatic to manual, type in the DNS address you have chosen, then when you are done turn the unit off then on. See if this works. It worked for me. Managed to connect to netflix. I have even reverted to my original DNS and it is still working.

You may also want to try this http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291573

Just rang WD tech support. Technician had no idea Netflix was even a feature on the device. His only suggestion was to sent the box back to Pixmania and get a replacement. Since neither Netflix or WD can identify the cause of the problem getting a replacement box seems pointless.

Okay, Netflix UK/IRL is working for me now.

1. I changed the DNS to give me acces to the US Netflix using Unblock US (208.122.23.22) 

2. I logged in using the account I had already created on the UK/IRL Netflix.

3. Then I changed my DNS settings to Google (8.8.8.8) - restarted the WD TV, opened the Netflix app and this time it logged me straight into the UK/IRL Netflix storefront. 

2 Likes