Netflix - Ireland & UK, working for anyone?

glennroche wrote:

Thanks BBBBBrandon

I however bought the WD TV Live Hub because it says that Netflix is supported ( I know it says US)

See http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/AAG/ENG/4178-705154.pdf

and I assumed it would be made available as soon as Netflix is available in Ireland and now Netflix is  available in Ireland.

Can you tell me if there are plans to release an update so that Netflix is supported in Ireland on the WD TV Live Hub

If not ; I will return the product and swap it for one of the WD devices that do support NetFlix

thanks
glenn

Hi Glenn,

Only the new 3rd Gen WD TV Live (aka streaming media player) supports this.

It really is not satisfactory that the Live Hub, costing over £200 on Amazon will not do a job that a streaming device half the price will do. Like many others, I bought this device in the expectation that I was future-proofing. It really is not good enough from WD. No Netflix without having to buy another device!!

Plodalong wrote:

It really is not satisfactory that the Live Hub, costing over £200 on Amazon will not do a job that a streaming device half the price will do. Like many others, I bought this device in the expectation that I was future-proofing. It really is not good enough from WD. No Netflix without having to buy another device!!

Why did you assume that you were ‘future proofing’. What gave you that idea?

However perhaps somebody from WD could explain why the hub cannot support Netflix, I’m sure its not a secret. Is it the DRM / internal chip issue?

Hi RichUK. I guess I am guilty of assuming that as Netflix features prominently on the US product info page for the hub, I assumed it followed that Netflix would subsequently work when launched in UK and Ireland. Obviously I was wrong. Unfortunately I can’t afford to keep updating devices. Like you I will be interested to hear the reasons why it isn’t supported.

I would really like to know the reasons why i cannot get netflix on my WD live TV hub. The service is avaiable on my ageing iphone 3gs, its available on the nintendo wii! . For some reason its not on whats suppose to be a media hub purchased two months ago! Pathetic.

Lots of rumours and reasons, but no official details of why its not on the WD Tv live hub! IT MAKES ME SO MAD.

1 Like

I assumed the same !

I too am in Ireland and am unable to connect to Netflix. Same problem as a few others - upgraded to new firmware, but when I try to open the Netflix app I get “unable to connect to netflix. please try again or visit www.netflix.com/tvhelp”.

Hoping for a quick fix… I just bought the streaming player today with Netflix in mind!!

Fiona

I am in England. Set up my Live streaming media player … and it refuses to connect to Netflix. However iplayer works a treat.

For those having trouble connecting: What happened when you contacted Netflix? I remeber similar issues when Canada went live back in the day, so i’m wondering if maybe a switch didn’t get thrown or something somewhere along the pipeline.

bluecherry74 wrote:

I too am in Ireland and am unable to connect to Netflix. Same problem as a few others - upgraded to new firmware, but when I try to open the Netflix app I get “unable to connect to netflix. please try again or visit www.netflix.com/tvhelp”.

Hoping for a quick fix… I just bought the streaming player today with Netflix in mind!!

Fiona

Did you contact Netflix?  You will need to contact them. 

Netflix seems to suggest that the device, in this case the live streaming media player, needs activating. However I cannot find the required code to do so. All the other services work flawlessly so I am ruling out a firewall issue. The only thing I yet have to try is a factory reset post firmware update.

Are you saying that you got Netflix to work on your Live media streamer ?

hi

i sent back my Media Hub and got the Streamer version instead.

I have NetFlix working now. BBC iPlayer does not work however. I can choose a program but then it just throws back an error with little detail.

I am not sure if this makes any difference but when I switched on the hub, I set the Region/Timezone BEFORE downloading any firmware updates…

To activate it, all i had to do was type in login details from NEtflix …

Should BBC iPlayer work in Ireland ?

glennroche wrote:

Should BBC iPlayer work in Ireland ?

• *> I don’t think so… BBC is UK specific - the release notes specificly state “BBC (UK Only)” and Netflix (UK and Ireland). If BBC worked in both I figure they would have noted it the same way as Netflix…

I just got off the phone with Netflix support. They told me that they don’t currently support the WD TV Live Streaming Player, they only support the WD TV Live Air. 

Still no joy getting the app to work which is frustrating because i bought it mainly for Netflix. :confounded: Does anyone have any more info on what the problem might be?

Thanks

Fiona

Only just spotted your post - I did change region/timezone but AFTER download the new firmware.

Is it possible to roll back?

not sure about rolling back… If that is the problem it seems a big bug on WDs side… Sure there is nothing peculier about ur broadband… Are you using wireless… Would using ethernet cable help. ?

I thoughti saw a reset option but not at home to check

glennroche wrote:
not sure about rolling back… If that is the problem it seems a big bug on WDs side… Sure there is nothing peculier about ur broadband… Are you using wireless… Would using ethernet cable help. ?

I thoughti saw a reset option but not at home to check

I don’t think there’s anything weird about my broadband. I’m with UPC and can access Netflix on my PC and Android phone no problem. I tried changing the DNS settings in the WD TV but that didn’t work.

I am using wireless, but I can’t see that being the problem… I’ll take the player upstairs tomorrow and check with ethernet just to be sure.

I did reset the player, but that doesn’t revert it back to the older firmware unfortunately, it just erases all your personal settings.

Try the instructions in: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/ for rolling back  your firmware. After you roll back,  you will need to upgrade again in order to use the service. 

bluecherry74 wrote:

I just got off the phone with Netflix support. They told me that they don’t currently support the WD TV Live Streaming Player, they only support the WD TV Live Air. 

Same thing.  The “AIR” was WD’s Pre-release name.   It’s now officially known as the “WDTV Live Streaming Media Player,” or as we call it, the SMP.

Apparently NetFlix never updated their documentation.