Netflix HD Streaming - Turn OFF

Is there a way ,or can you investigate a future release too, disable HD streaming from Netflix on the WDTVLIVE+ ? My location limits my bandwidth to 1.5Mbps down and this causes the WDTV to deny movies that are HD. My PC streams them fine as the imbedded PC Netflix player detects bandwidth and streams appropriately from Netflix. My WDTVLIVE+ always selects HD streams no matter what, which has prevented me from watching more than half of my queue content.  

Thank You

WD TV LIVE + // fw ver - 1.03.39_B

Welcome to the forums.

That’s a pretty good idea, but you should post it in the Ideas section (tabbed above) for consideration.

Offhand I’d say it was pretty remote they will consider it (since the trend nowadays is towards MORE bandwidth, not less) but you never know.

That’s interesting, but isn’t “adaptive streaming” supposed to throttle the quality depending upon bandwidth?  Or does that only work within format?  That is, if it starts with HD you are stuck with HD, no way to toggle to SD when bandwidth drops?

horizons1 wrote:

That is, if it starts with HD you are stuck with HD, no way to toggle to SD when bandwidth drops?

What I am experiencing is not only exactly that, but I have no “adaptive streaming” on the WDTV. ON/Off or adaptive is what I need.

Right now if the title is offered in HD, HD is all I get. Result is any title offered in HD I cannot watch; I only get a message stating the title is not available after attempting to play it. And there is a lot offered in HD.

The TiVo does this; it has a “Quality Meter” that shows at the beginning of the stream, and if bandwidth isn’t sufficient, it will downgrade itself and resume.

Don’t know if the WDTV does this, because now I have 40mbps internet connectivity, so there’s no shortage of supply.

On my computer, Netflix will adapt my stream to my playable bandwith.  I did see Netflix attempt to do this, once, on my WD TV Live Plus, but I was impatient and closed out the movie and then replayed at the higher bandwidth.

bill_s wrote:

On my computer, Netflix will adapt my stream to my playable bandwith.  I did see Netflix attempt to do this, once, on my WD TV Live Plus, but I was impatient and closed out the movie and then replayed at the higher bandwidth.

What FW ver? I have NEVER seen this on my WDTVLIVE+. I have even dogged my BW to see if I was on the edge of the limit switch (during  - boot, selection into Netflix and Movie selection) with no avail.

http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevicesDetails?pdid=324

WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player

Play movies, photos, and music from your home network and the Internet. Instantly access thousands of movies and TV shows from Netflix.

• Select from your Netflix queue, recommended movies, new arrivals, and more using the on-screen menus.
  • Supports Netflix adaptive streaming, so movie quality will seamlessly adapt to available bandwidth.

richUK wrote:

http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevicesDetails?pdid=324

Supports Netflix adaptive streaming, so movie quality will seamlessly adapt to available bandwidth.

It is NOT doing that for me. It always selects HD (which I assume being the movies selected in que have the HD tag and any movie showing an HD tag will not play). My PC works flawlessly, WDTVLIVE+, not the case. My BW down is 1.5mbps maximum on a good day. I average 1.2 and like I stated, bogged my connection by running multiple downloads while running Netflix incase it was on the edge of the adaptive selection to no avail. I run a wireless N dongle (Buffalo) and even cabled in - did not make a difference. I will gladly down rev my FW if someone can tell me a ver that works for them.

Any other suggestions?

WDTVLIVE+ 1.03.43_B

Buffalo WLI-UC-GNHP Dongle

Buffalo WZR-HP-300NH Wireless Router

Quest 2WIRE gateway

Quest (good luck in boondock usa getting bandwidth) DSL

Back when I had 1.5Mbps AT&T DSL, my Live Plus would definitely adapt the stream and it never even attempted to load the HD stream.  That was back with the initial firmware and possibly the first online update (not the Betas).

Now, I have an 8Mbps Cable service and HD streams fine, meaning I never really see / notice any adaptive streaming.

If adaptive streaming is broken in the Betas, that certainly needs to be addressed.

I wish I had a way to test this for you.   Unfortunately, I have 40mbps Internet and HD is perfect.  

If anyone knows how to put a “Rate Limit” function on a FiOS Actiontec 424 router, I’d be happy to try…

Well, I have tried about everything I can think of. Currently I have the WDTV demilitarized to rule out firewall issues when negotiating with Netflix. Still I cannot stream any video that is offered in HD. I can only suspect it is because the negotiation as this only happens with HD optioned streams. All I get is, “Sorry, this title cannot be watched instantly at this time. Please try again later or play a different title.”

Hmmm.   Can you provide some exact examples ( Title / Episode / etc.)

That doesn’t sound like a bandwidth issue.   That sounds like something different.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Hmmm.   Can you provide some exact examples ( Title / Episode / etc.)

That doesn’t sound like a bandwidth issue.   That sounds like something different.

Hearts in Atlantis

Clash of the Titans (original)

Cool World

Street Thief

Fay Grim

The Contractor

Seven Days

The Hunted

Control

I can stream these on my PC, but not on the WDTVLIVE+…

“Sorry, this title cannot be watched instantly at this time. Please try again later or play a different title.”

PROBLEM DISCOVERED

The problem lies in the Qwest 2WIRE DSL modem. I jumped on my neighbors AP who has the same service as I do, different DSL Modem and I have no issues.

Now to find out what is up with the 2WIRE. Any suggestions would be helpful so as not to have to purchase a new Gateway.