MyCloud transfer rate?

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what the maximum file transfer rate is for the mycloud?

I have found when streaming movies, if i keep it below 20gb it is ok. Just trying to find where the bottle neck is

Cheers

For info, mycloud is connected to virgin media router which is 2.4ghz or 5ghz. Streaming to Sony Bravia which is connected to router via 5ghz

The max transfer rate depends on a number of factors including the hardware used at both ends, and the hard drive itself. Because your using WiFi the transfer rate is limited to what ever the theoretical max WiFi throughput is for your WiFi router and WiFi client. But in the end one never gets the advertised max WiFi speeds for a number of technical reasons. If at all possible always use wired connections between devices.

To start with make sure to connect the My Cloud to a Gigabit port on a Gigabit capable router. Beyond that when using WiFi you need to consult your router’s specifications and your smartTV’s specifications to see what specific WiFi connection mode and speed they’re capable off.

Some examples using a first gen single bay My Cloud.
Using a USB 2.0 AC1200 WiFi adapter to a My Cloud connected to a Gigabit capable router (WiFi 1900 Mbps capable):
29.02MB/s read/19.84MB/s write

Using a computer’s 1GB network (Ethernet) connection to the My Cloud:
105.6 MB/s read/41.00 MB/s write

When it comes to streaming media there are additional factors to consider if one is having streaming issues. The encoding of the media may play a factor. The media streaming server may play a factor. Using something like Plex may play a factor if the Plex Media Server is on a different device than the My Cloud.

If one uses the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right) they may find additional posts discussing max read/write speeds with the My Cloud devices.

Hi Bennor

Thank you for your reply.

Does this quote mean that i can connect my TV directly to my MyCloud? I thought it had to be connected directly to the router via ethernet and then connection was only possible via wifi?

Also here are my stats for the 2 connected devices

The My Cloud and the computer were both connected to the My Cloud even though I didn’t explicitly state it in my prior post. One can connect a My Cloud directly to a computer, but normally one connects the My Cloud to a network router.

What those screen captures show is the capability of the network connection (Speed) for the two devices. Not the actual network speed. Yes the My Cloud network port is Gigabit capable but one never see’s that max speed due to the hard drive within the My Cloud having a read/write speed significantly lower than 1000 Mbps and a number of other technical reasons. Same goes for the WiFi. There are various factors (encryption being one, network overhead being another) that reduce the WiFi’s actual speed versus it’s theoretical speed.

What you should do is run some speed tests using speed test software (not online websites that only test broadband speed) to test your local network’s actual read/write speed to the My Cloud. Various software out there like Crystal DiskMark (https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/) that can give one a general idea of the actual read/write speed to a My Cloud.

If the smartTV is Ethernet capable try using that rather than WiFi. If the smartTV is a far distance away from the WiFi router, try moving it closer and see if the issue persists.

How is the smartTV connecting to the My Cloud? Is it using a DLNA client app within the smartTV OS to access the DLNA (Twonky) Media Server on the My Cloud or a third party (like Plex) media server running on the local network? Or is the smartTV using a file manager type app to browse the local network and connect to the My Cloud using NSF or SMB?

And in your first post you indicated “… if i keep it below 20gb it is ok”. What are you keeping below 20gb? (Note that “gb” typically means Gigabytes.) The size of the media file being streamed? Where are you controlling (keeping below) what ever it is that is more than 20gb?

Edit to add: and just for comparison’s sake there are other discussions, like in the link below, showing read/write speeds others are getting with the single bay My Cloud devices.

Thank you so much for all this info.

I will decipher over the coming days. The speed test stuff is very interesting.

Just for info…yes the size of the 4K movies are in question. As an example, 60gig file size would not play without glitching, 20gig movie file size would be fine. To test the TV i connect a USB3 ext hard drive and the 80gig movie plays no problem.

Cheers…i will also have a look at the other posts :smiley:

Are you using a 1st or 2nd generation My Cloud? When I stream my music, videos etc. I prefer using my 2nd generation My Cloud. It performs better than the 1st generation.

My home network is setup with a Linksys EA 9500 MU-MIMO and I have a Linksys wi-fi extender RE9000.

If you haven’t done so already you may want to dig through the Sony Community website to see if there is any suggestions there. For example there is the following post from a few years ago about being unable to stream 4k media (from the Sony UK community):

It may come down to the TV itself and what it supports. If the TV is older, its possible that it won’t be able to support high bitrate 4K video streaming over WiFI but would work using a USB external hard drive attached to the TV’s USB port.

Hi Cat

Looking at the P/N number it ends “00” so i think it is a Gen 1 :frowning:

Hi Bennor

I will indeed be digging into that forum too. I think also i need to learn a bit more about bitrates and what load that puts on the network.
For instance…what network speed is required to stream a video with a 22000 kbps bitrate. Thats what it says in the properties of my 30gb movie file.

It varies when it comes to 4K files. A gigabit connection is plenty to stream one 4K stream. The problem on home networks is there often tends to be more than one person using the connection/network at a time. For example while your streaming 4K to a WiFi connect smartTV someone else in the home may be using WiFi to surf the net, watch Youtube, stream their own content, etc. As more and more WiFi devices are connected and using data that can impact everyone who is trying to use high sustained data streams. Generally using a Gigabit Ethernet connection (and switched networking ports) this isn’t as much of an issue unless you have a several people all streaming 4K content at the same time.

One typically will need to review the actual detailed specifications of their network hardware to see exactly where a bottle neck might be occurring. Just knowing you the smartTV connected at 5Ghz isn’t enough. You need to know the specification of the WiFi on both the router AND the TV. Is that 5Ghz Wireless N? Is it Wireless AC? Or something else. If Wireless AC then what is the speed of that connection? Example you have a router capable of AC3000 but the TV is only capable of AC1200. The WiFi connection to the TV will be limited to the AC1200 speed (same if things were reversed). Worse still is if one is using older Wifi hardware on one end, like the router being WiFi AC capable but the TV only supports WiFi N. One can learn more some of this at this link.

Then there is WiFi interference and congestion one may have to contend with. If one lives in a city environment or has neighbors close by, one may need to adjust their WiFi network settings to avoid WiFi interference or congestion. Sometimes just changing the WiFi channel is enough. Or moving the WiFi client device closer to the WiFi router. But again it takes investigating to figure out what the exact issue is.

As previously indicated, one never see’s the advertised speed of WiFi hardware for a variety of reasons. This is why currently its best to use Gigabit Ethernet (or better) wired connections if at all possible.

Cheers Bennor

It looks like I have some reading to do.

Thanks for your input it’s appreciated :+1: