MYCloud Home "Offline"

Thanks for the feedback!

Mine is running as well, Led is still blinking slow but some times I can hear some noises as if the disk is being read/written…

I should have about 4TB of files, Most important ones are backed up but still a pian if I have to hard reset and set everything properly…

I’ve opened a case as well and looking forward to hear from WD

Hi all.
Similar as others, mycloud home was available yesterday but suddenly shown as “offline” today. Does anyone can assist me to solve the issue?

3 Likes

Same problem: my device suddenly went offline this last week. I can access on the website, but not through WD Discovery anymore.

PS: I uninstalled and re-installed WD Discovery but nothing happens. The My Cloud Home utility has disappeared from the WD Discovery “More” section, too.

1 Like

So WD got to the point where they think the unit is no longer usable, which honestly is not great after 4 years. Luckily I always back up everything so I was easily able to restore on to another device but this is the end of the line for me in using the WD My Cloud Devices as they just aren’t reliable enough.

I was also able to see errors in the log files which could be accessed using the instructions at My Cloud Home: Collect On-Device Debug Logs

I used this method:

http://yourunitsipaddress:33284/cgi-bin/logs.sh

Update: I pulled the drive out of the enclosure and loaded into an external hard drive unit. Windows reported 25 partitions on the drive and had a bit of a hissy fit to start with. I used PowerShell > diskpart to remove all the partitions and then reformatted to NTFS. Not sure how reliable it will be but I can use it as backup storage so doesn’t matter too much if it fails.

1 Like

somebody help me! My Cloud Home offline and i don’t know how to fix

1 Like

if it’s outside warranty just forget it and buy another decent NAS.

1 Like

Hi,

Did the logs reported any errors?
I was not even able to extract the Logs and Customer support is not the best so I just gave up. ( I don’t had must trust in mycloud home at this point to be very honest.

I disassembled the unit, removed the disk and formatted in my Windows PC - no errors detected so It seems the disk was not the issue.

The 6TB disk will now be used on the Sinology NAS I’m buying shortly.
No more WD products for me (apart from disk drives).

1 Like

@anon9438741 Yes there were some errors I could see in the logs. I tried the disk in an external housing and it had a lot of paritions on it, I deleted them all with diskpart in Powershell and reformatted the drive. It worked for a couple of days and then somehow made my whole system hang one day so I’ve now discarded it.

I have pulled drives out of older cloud drives that had failed which have been working OK so hopefully you have more luck with yours.

Does anyone know how to fix the offline problem? Thank you.

1 Like

“Does anyone know how to fix the offline problem? Thank you.”

you get a NAs drive that actually works and doesn’t fail due to shoddy software updates.

I have the same problem with WD MyCloud Home showing as “Offline”. I have an open support ticket with WD, but no sign of any resolution yet.

Judging by the number of “Offline” issues being reported on this forum, it is inconceivable that they could all be caused by bad configurations at the User end. There is clearly something fundamentally wrong at the WD end (and I’m assuming it’s software not a hardware issue).

For heaven’s sake WD - get this sorted out. It is your hardware and your software. If you don’t know what to do, then hire people who do !!! Your reputation is dissolving by the minute.

1 Like

having the same offline issue despite doing a 4 second and 40 second reset. the light still pulsates and shows up on my router as “wired device”. so WD did something to get all these “offline” issues.

Not all MCH “Offline” have the same cause, each user should try to get the debug_logs.zip or tar files and analyze the content. There is an option right from the MCH web app under settings.

Nobody should be using the 4TB and 6TB SMR HDD from the MCH for use in another NAS as these drives are not recommended for NAS use in the first place. WDC ended up paying quite a few customers in a class action for these so called ‘NAS’ SMR drives- but that settlement has come and gone, each SMR HDD was compensated for about $17.

In many cases, the home user should considered themselves lucky as perhaps you two were in getting more than 2 to 4 years out of this SMR-MCH setup. Good job if you had lots of backup but even better job if you had known how to clone these HDD onto proper NAS capable CMR drives so that they could still be usable in a MCH.

1 Like

Same here.

In like the 3-4 past days, device says it’s offline.

Network good,drive good.

I think it’s something that they broke in update.

Hope day fix it soon before I have to extract the hard drive from there.

Someone find a solution?

Anyone who is having the MCH 6TB able to extract the media files from the device?

Yesterday morning I copied a video from MCH to my PC correctly.
At lunch I wanted to watch it and MCH were no longer visible in the net. Great!
So it is offline with static LED light (I guess it is working OK, no blinking)
I have it in static IP, but I see its address reserved in the router page, but the name of the device is blank, so it is NOT there.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have the same situation. My MyCloud Home has been showing for some time just “Device Offline”, impossible to access. WD Support just ran me through rebooting it, then rebooting router, no change. They guided me to getting log files which were sent to tech support in US, who reported back that “no corruption and drive failure errors were found”. I cannot even see any files through local network access (as many users appear to have been able to do in previous posts). The drive is mapped in Windows, but shows nothing. Data recovery process is expensive (WD’s recommendation) and is not necessary if the drive is apparently ok. Any ideas? I’m thinking of dismantling it, removing disk and either putting disk in a USB connected disk caddy or replacing the disk in a clean new version of MyCloud Home - at least to access all my data there (which unfortunately I do not have backed up). All of this is a bit tortuous process to do. Anyone with some bright ideas of how to resolve?

3 Likes

You are lucky if logs say the disk is OK.
I was in the same situation as you, but my logs were impossible to get, so I decided to dissasembly the unit and put the disk in my PC. All partitions are there, but I can’t access, so I guess I’m lost.
You can, though, see this thread for help: [SOLVED] My Cloud Home PCB burned! How to extract data out from HDD? - #87 by joiecito

Thanks for that. I’m working through all that thread! Looks like some useful stuff there. thanks

1 Like