MYCloud Home "Offline"

Sadly, I’ve been offline for over a year. I got the email that I needed to update by 3/13, so I have been feverishly trying to get both WDMyCloud and MyCloud Home online. Finally got WD MyCloud working last week with a “refresh” guided by tech support. Access achieved and able to download my videos and pictures. As for My Cloud Home. I had it up for about 3-4 days. Tech support had me going through an array of things including replug the internet connection, change the power source, unplug/restart 6 times. Well, My Cloud Home firmware updated to current version. I was able to set up the local access/dashboard. I tested out downloading files. Then “POOF” as of last Friday my device went offline AGAIN. I sent in the device logs that I was able to access prior to it going offline again. They are telling me there is an error in the system, replace my device and I need to get help with data recovery. I was able to access prior to this past weekend. Frustrating! Any insights to what can be done to get back online would be greatly appreciated. I don’t want to get through this data recovery process.

Sight, finally it’s me.

someone find a solution ? I got Offline for a day already and most of my photos are there.

There may be a bit of wishful thinking in this thread for those wishing their data could last a long time - may be it could, but don’t count on it, that is why backups are so important if one remembers that most of these devices have a 2 year warranty and that does not warrant against data loss.

Expect any consumer product, statistically, to last for the duration of the warranty. You might be lucky enough to get an outlier that will far outlast the warranty, or you might be unlucky enough to get an outlier that will fail in months, but most products will last slightly longer than the warranty.

HDD Average Life Span Misses 3-Year Mark In Study of 2,007 Defective Drives (arstechnica.com)

So, basically, if you want a kind of NAS storage, you have to buy TWO, one for using it and another one to backup it, then.
Or go Blurray route and buy hundreds of them for backup TB of data.

1 Like

You made comments on how to extract the files using Ubuntu USB Stick and the Springfield recovery Python script. Is this recommended for the home user?

I guess so, but none of those tricks worked for me as you can read in that thread.

End users should file a support case with WD before going further. WD does not warrant against data loss and does not support end user DYI data recovery. Be aware of spam posts touting paid software that will recover data. All working recovery software can be downloaded and used for free.

Data Recovery Service Providers

Disclaimer

If you utilize data recovery services, Western Digital will not void the warranty associated with the disk drive you purchased from a Western Digital reseller or distributor. To retain the warranty status of your drive, you should ensure that the service provider you use provides you with written verification, on its company letterhead, that it has performed data recovery or other services on your hard drive. In all other instances, Western Digital’s warranty is void if a returned disk drive exhibits a defect attributable to misuse or tampering, improper installation, alteration or to other causes as specified in our warranty policy