MyBook Duo three red lights

Hi guys, my MyBook Duo 8TB (4TB x2) external HDD suddenly stop working and showing both 3 red lights. I tried unplug & plug in cable, reboot, and also pull out & insert back the HDD but still doesn’t works… It was expired warranty, may I know what should I do?

Btw, I heard that the HDD inside MyBook Duo will automatically “lock” and unable to read / move out my files through other external casing… Is it real? If like that how can I copy all my important data inside?

Its very urgent to me. Hope to receive your feedback ASAP. Thanks!

1st thing to check, power off the device and remove the hard drives. Remember with hdd go in which slot. Power on the device and check your computer Device manager for Windows, Mac go to System info - USB to see if you computer detect the device.

If your computer can see the device then power off the device and insert one hard drive back to it original slot. Power on the device and see if your computer still see it. You can use WD Utilities to check the device status. If it see the device and the hard drive. Then power off the device and insert the last hard drive.

1 Like

Hi Jebusx, thanks for your reply!
I following your direction to removed both 2 HDD and connect to computer, but unfortunately my MBP still unable to detect it in SYSTEM REPORT > USB…

Was called WD technical people in my country, was told the only thing I can do is “find another MyBook Duo RAID enclosure to insert my HDD”. But since my MyBook was 5 years old version, when I double check if newer version (with later chips, maybe) works, the answer is “You may try but we cannot confirm”…

Now I have no idea what can I do to save my data…Really pissed off to the WD so called “Hardware Encryption”.

Maybe you can send me a picture or link what your model look like. I might able to help you out.

2 Likes

Thanks bro!
My model is WDBLWE0080JCH. My Book Duo 8TB, Metallic Gray version.1441

Btw I found someone selling just enclosure on eBay, but the model is WDBLWE0160JCH-00. Any idea if it works to acmes my HDD?

if the picture in the front and rear look the same then it should be fine. I believed 0160JCH is just the hard drive size in the enclosure. Like yours has 8TB so the one on ebay probably 16TB total. The PCB inside the enclosure should take any hard drive size from 2TB to 8TB.

2 Likes

Just received feedback from WD support team:

We have just confirmed with developing team. They confirmed that the new model WDBFBEJBK will also able to read the drives replaced from older model WDBLWEJCH.

However, we have not identify the drive condition for now. If the drives into new enclosure still cannot be accessed, more likely the drives are also having problems.

In the worst case, if the drives still unable to access, data recovery will be the very last option.

Seems like all I can do is purchase an enclosure and try my luck now…

I still have to say, the Hardware Encryption by WD is really, really a bad marketing decision.

Hi, did you manage to fix this? I am also thinking about buying a new enclosure.
Regards

Hello jctang. About the problem you mentioned, you can resolve it ? That WDBFBEJBK model is compatible ?

Hi yes problem solved after i change a new enclosure. But I think this will be the last WD ext HDD i will purchase in future…

I have the same problem 3 red lights blinking,
I have followed jebusx instructions.
If I insert only 1 drive, WD Drive Utilities and Mac Diskutil can see either one that I insert.
It says RAID is degraded.
I have 2 x 4TB WD40EFRX in RAID1 mode.

How do I know which drive is in defect since I have the same symptoms when only 1 drive is inserted ( either drive 1 or drive 2) ?

Thanks
JM

Now once I installed both drives it isn’t recognized by Mac.

WD Drive Utilities - RAID Management - RAID Status … reports:

• Current configuration: RAID 1 (Mirrored)
  • RAID Status: Annot access data
  • Drive 1 status: Online
  • Drive 2 status: Online

JM

Hi jctang, I am having 3 stable red light too and need your help… Thanks !!
Did you replace to the newer version enclosure? Are you running raid 1 or raid 0? Some say it is hardware encrypted, and reformat is required when new enclosure are replaced…
Please help ! Million thanks !!

Pat

Hi there, yea end up i buy a new enclosure from eBay and it detected without reformatting. Problem solved for me but still don’t agree with how WD truss up their customers…
Hope it helps.

thanks jctang!! TOTALLY DISAGREE TOO! Will move all my data to other HDD once i have access…
Btw, are you using RAID 1 or 0 when before the enclosure malfunction? I just scare they have hardware encryption on the original enclosure…
Also, did you get the newer version instead of the original grey color casing?

thanks!
Pat

I use RAID 1 to mirroring data to both HDD.
I get the same grey casing, not sure if it come with newer firmware or actually same with previous one.

Im pretty sure WD did hardware encryption on both HDD. After doing so many research i guess changing enclosure is the only way to settle issue. Pls correct me if someone got others solutions.

GOOD NEWS! I received the new MY BOOK DUO enclosure today! After plugging both HDDs in, it works!
Thanks JCTANG!!!

BTW, After i move all my files to my NAS, I will never USE WD products AGAIN!

Hi people, thank you so much for sharing about this incredible nasty WD issue!
I have the same problem with model WDBLWE0080 JCH-00, purchased July 2016.
So far the only solution seems a newer enclosure, model WDBFBE JBK ?
Can you tell me what type/model you bought exactly ?
Thanks J-J

The same thing happened to me My Book Duo bought about 5 years ago. I just did the same thing, bought new case, and the drive is identified but I am getting prompt for a password but I never had a password on my drives. ? How can that happen? thanks for any help or thoughts to point me in the right direction.

jctang or jebusx or patrickchai, are you still available? I just had this happen to my WD MyBook Duo, two solid red lights and a red blinking power light. I don’t see it on my Windows drive list. I am desparate for help. I’m a senior and not too techical but the files are so important to me. In the Windows list, it shows the folders but I’m not able to copy them to a separate backup drive. Thank you!