My Passport Ultra doesn't mount on Mac anymore

So,I  bought this WD My Passport Ultra HD back in September to use to archive my photography using my iMac. Worked fine until yesterday when I accidentally removed the cable while it was mounted on the desktop.

Now it doesn’t mount any more, and I can not access my irreplaceable archive. I have tried the various suggestions but it is not mounting. This seems to be a very common theme with these WD drives, they seem to be very delicate. I wouldn’t expect any product to react like this after a few months use.

So, any suggestions please?

Welcome to the Community.

Have you tried searching for clues using your Mac’s built-in Disk Utility diagnostic tool?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1362/

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have used Disk Utility and found the disc, though the part I need is not mounted. I have run diagnostics that suggest it’s ok. But it still doesn’t mount, and more importantly, it has files on it I need urgently.

I can’t believe that this seems to be such a common experience with these WD external drives used with Macs, and the official answer seems to be ‘the partition may have become corrupted’. if you pay money for a product, you expect it to do a job and be fit for purpose - this WD drive certainly hasn’t been that.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Support by Country
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

Hi there,

I’ve had this problem several times with my My Passport. It’s a different device, but the same solutions may apply.

1. Let it stay plugged in for a long time, possibly overnight. Sometimes, when the device is improperly ejected, it just takes a while to reestablish its connection with the mac somehow. I have no idea how this works, but in every instance the HD has eventually re-mounted on its own if I left it plugged in long enough.

2. Sometimes it appears that the device is not accessible, but in fact it just isn’t displaying in th left sidebar of finder windows for some unknown reason. In this case, if you go to disk utility and you do see it there, you may see at the bottom: "

Mount Point : /Volumes/MyPassport. If you click on the /Volumes/MyPassport link, it will take you to the files, and you can drag and drop the folder back into your favorites bar.

Hello, I have a similar issue…

My disk is not mounting and I do not know Why…

When I run an analysis It says the following:

“The volume My Passport Essential was formatted by hfs_convert (1412.101.1) and last modified by apfs_kext (1677.81.1)”

How could I fix it??? Please help!!

Hi, can you see your unmounted drive in the Disk Utility? Select the disk and press Mount.

I am having the same issues. AppleCare was unable to help me. Next is to contact WD. I, too, have items on the external drive that I urgently need! I am at a loss for what else to do.

Hi,

I tried to mount but it says: “Couldn’t mount “disk2s2”. (error com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter -119930868).”

I believe there is an issue between APFS and HFS but I have no idea about what to do…

Pleaseeee, helpppp :frowning:

I am trying with WD but they have no ideas…I believe it is better to find a solution thru the web…if you find a way, just let me know please…

The filesystem might have been corrupted. Do you have the backup of the contained files?

I have not another backup…that´s the issue…I need that info but I do not know what to do…:frowning:

You can recover the data from it and once recovery is done erase the drive with a new filesystem. However, the drive must be listed in Disk Utility for data recovery software to perform a scan.

No, I can’t mount the external hard drive…I think there is a conflict because it was partitioned and half was formatted with HFS and another half with APFS…but I have no idea how to solve it…:frowning:

As I mentioned above, try to get your data off the drive. Once the data is secured, erase this drive with a new filesystem as a single disk. Backup is must before you erase.