My Passport Ultra 3TB - Too many bad sectors detected

Hi,

I bought My Passport Ultra 3TB from Amazon, in order to take backup from my old HD, I copied some folders to the new MP 3TB HD, later I came back to copy some more folders, then I noticed that some of my old folders disappeared. I got scared I didn’t proceed further I called WD Customer service, they ask me to do a WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Extended test. I did that test, the test failed and I got the Too many bad sectors detected. I called the WD customer support again and reported the test results, the shipped a new hard drive to me immediately.

As soon I received the WD MP 3tb HD, out of the box I ran the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Extended test on Win 7 again, the the test failed and I got the Too many bad sectors detected. I repeated the same test on a different machine with the OS Win 7 I got the same results too. I reported the same problem again to the WD Customer support. I sent them a detailed report with the screenshots of my results. They agreed to send the third HD once they receive the previous HD. Will keep you posted once I receive the third HD.

I have been using these WD HD’s since past 8 years never had any issues. I am surprised to see the issues with My Passport Ultra.

Thanks

Hello there, welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems with the My Passport ultra 3 TB, have you tried writing Zeros before/after running the tests?

Thank you for your response,

No, I haven’t tried writing zeros before/after running the tests, WD Customer service rep didn’t suggest anything like this. How to write zeros before/after running the tests.

Thanks