My Passport Pro: Change it from Thunderbolt to USB-C?

The geniuses at the Apple Store said that there’s not a dongle or adapter that will let me use my 4TB My Passport Pro with my new USB-C only MacBook Pro. Questions for the community:

1. Is it possible to prise off or otherwise remove the seemingly hard-wired Thunderbolt connector on the drive so I can switch it to USB-C [thinking it’s a USB-B hidden in there?] or…

2. Is there a third party adapter that will let me use this will at least most of its speed intact?

Thanks!

DaveT

Isn’t the Pro Thunderbolt, not FireWire?

You’re right, it is indeed Thunderbolt. [changed original post for clarity] But same question, same dilemma!

But thunderbolt and usb-c are completely compatible.
And Apple certainly makes an adapter for that.
Other companies make adapters, too.

You would think so, but the Apple folk said that the adapter won’t work. Hence my question. To be fair, I haven’t purchased one and tested it out, Tony. I’d still MUCH rather replace the cable on my 4TB drive than have yet another $#$@ adapter to tote around and rely on.

Update: I bought the Thunderbolt → USB-C adapter from Apple - $49! - and it works pretty well. Seems like I’m getting a big performance hit on read/write but haven’t run any disk performance tests to measure it. Still would love to be able to snap off the Thunderbolt cable from the drive itself and replace it with a USB-C one, if that’s possible. WDC? Any update on this?

Hi, Could u pls put here a link to Amazon from the adapter.