My Passport Essential SE - Suddenly Crashed

I purchased a WD My Passport Essential SE 750 GB external drive about three and a half months ago and loaded all of my important files (photos, music, videos, software that I had purchased, documents) as I had run out of space on my laptop. This unit performed excellently until this evening - then when I connected it to my computer there was some clicking sound and then the computer did not recognize the drive. It shows up as a generic disk, and when I tried to access it, all that happens is I get a message saying “you need to format the disk in this drive before you can use it”. I tried connecting it to a different computer with the same result. Now I am unable to access these important files, hoping I have not lost them altogether. Has anyone else had this problem? I have never dropped it or misused it, only kept it connected to my computer when I was actually using it. I checked the internet for data recovery and the costs are unbelievable! Anyone have any ideas/recommendations?  Thanks!

Hello, 

Data has gotten corrupted on the drive, you’ll need to use a Data Recovery software to retrieve those files, once retrieved you can reformat and drive will work fine. You can search for Data Recovery software on Google and you’ll have plenty of options. Never trust your important data to just one drive , always keep backups , at least two copies . 

Hope you can get your files back.

1 Like

Thank you - I downloaded Data Lifeguard from WD and am running it now - is this the type of software you are referring to?

You can try TestDisk  http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk it may repair the partition info that is corrupt.

Joe

Data Life Guard will only test the drive for problems, Joel S suggested one that can repair the partition. 

To recover the data search for Data Recovery. I just found one free  here , haven’t used it. But you can try it

Thanks to both of you, I will give them a try. Ironically I had only recently transferred all of my important files to this drive as my backup as I am in the process of switching computers - if this had happened a few days ago I would still have most of these files still stored on my computer as well. I thought I could trust a WD product.

WITZER - THANKS! I tried the free Mini Tool Power Data Recovery and I got nearly all of my files back! Out of over 31,000 files I had on this drive I lost maybe 150 and none of them were important/vital files. Thanks for referring me to this software and this saved me hundreds or more with a data recovery service. Next step - get a new external drinve, NOT a WD drive!

I’m Glad it worked  :smiley: , Any Time

Please notify me if there is anyway ican get warranty replacement from Kenya

the hdd is faulty and the hdd is still under warranty its my passport 1 tera

Stressin wrote:

Please notify me if there is anyway ican get warranty replacement from Kenya

the hdd is faulty and the hdd is still under warranty its my passport 1 tera

Please contact  WD , they will provide you with more information, the link bellow has the contact info

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?wdc_lang=en