My passport barely works in Mac but no problems with Windows

I bought a 2TB WD My Passport just several weeks ago and It worked perfectly until I started tinkering with its format. I formatted it to ExFat and It worked for a while but then my Mac just stopped detecting it. A popup suddenly appeared that the HD was disconnected and all my attempts to reconnect the disk failed. I was confused so I reformatted several times to NTFS, ExFat and HFS+ thinking it was a format problem, now it barely works at all when I plug it in my Mac (takes a lot of plugging in and out and the light lights up but doesn’t show up in Finder) yet it works flawlessly with my PC.

Was I too harsh with it? I usually leave it connected to my Mac all the time to download things while also playing media. What am I missing?
Mid-2014 MBP
OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Windows 7 Ultimate 2009

It could be a system or driver issue. How does your hard drive behave in other Mac computers? And what happens if you replace the Micro USB 3.0 cable with a standard Micro USB 2.0 cable in order to force legacy compatibility mode?

I tried connecting it to another Mac and it also doesn’t work, it looks like it’s not going to work on Macs anymore (although it still does work on my windows PC). I don’t have a standard USB cable so I haven’t tried changing the cables.