My Cloud Video sorting features

I am disapointed in teh lack of choices in sort and search with Shared Video files… Most of the time I prefer to search by Genre.

Is there a way of adding additional Search functions?

Hum, what software are you talking about? The NAS doesn’t sort anything.

I am looking at the content of the Public Shared Video folder which then gave me several different search methods… Newest, most viewed, and a couple of other methods.  Each is then sorted by name.

If I had to put it technical terms… I am using DLNA to view, search, sort, the videos.

Phill

Still not enough info. You’re looking at the content … With what??

Squire_Dude wrote:

I had to put it technical terms… I am using DLNA to view, search, sort, the videos.

What DLNA client (or software program) are you using on your PC, tablet/smartphone or other to view the content on the My Cloud? Windows Media Player, iTunes, other?

Hi Bennor,

I am using my TV to view the DLNA list of videos.

I purchased the My Cloud as an exersize to see if I could sucessfully put my movie collection on a personal cloud so I can view it when I travel in my RV. 

I am very old school, my mobile phone is only for phone calls, and nothing else.  I do not use a tablet for anythign else but basic connectivity, email, and navigation.

I was a programmer for 35 years and to me the whole “Smartphone” is for idiots who don’t know how to communicate, spell, or function in society any longer. 

But there are uses for the computer and media storage is a viable one which Bill Gates has advocated for over 20 years, but no-one listerned back then…  So here we are trying to centralise my movie and music collection once again to see if the technology is tryly there yet.

Sorry for my ramblings…

I try to keep it simple for now… I use my laptop to manage the content and view it via one of my TV’s on the local WiFI using the built in DLNA (no additional software).

Thanks

Phill

Squire_Dude wrote:

I am using my TV to view the DLNA list of videos.

I purchased the My Cloud as an exersize to see if I could sucessfully put my movie collection on a personal cloud so I can view it when I travel in my RV. 

Generally the DLNA client on your TV is what typically does the sorting, if any, based on the data/media it received from the WD MY Cloud Twonky DLNA media server. The Twonky DLNA media server parses the metadata tag of the media content on the WD My Cloud and displays that data to the DLNA clients.

If you cannot sort the way you want to its typically the fault of the DLNA client or its coding, or the lack of proper metadata tag information in the media file for the DLNA client to use to sort and not the fault of the WD My Cloud. Genererally the smart TV apps do not have a whole lot of features. If possible see if the smart TV’s app can be updated (if possible) in case they’ve added new features to that particular app. And make sure to have the media file metadata tags properly entered otherwise the search may be limited to just file name.

1 Like

I think the OP is using the confusing words.

Yes, the CLIENT is responsible for sorting, but TWONKY (the DLNA server) is responsible for filtering / categorization options.

And yes, it doesn’t have the option of filtering / selecting specific genres for VIDEOS though there is for music.

Apparently, yes, there’s ways to add filters, but I’ve never tried it.

Searching google led to threads like this:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-645624/modify-folders-shown-in-twonky-media-dlna

1 Like

Hi Tony,

You have gone further than I expected but thanks when I get that tired of the search/sort features I’ll give it a try as it does seem to be a solution.

For now I have gone teh old school method… created a folder for each Genre and moved the movies into that folder… although it is only s band-aid solution.

Thanks everyone

Phill

But there are uses for the computer and media storage is a viable one which Bill Gates has advocated for over 20 years, but no-one listerned back then

High capacity hard disks weren’t available then, so, whilst the concept was sound, it wasn’t practical.

Anyway, is that the same Bill Gates who couldn’t see why anyone would ever need more that 640kB of memory on a computer…?

Back to the topic…

If you go to the Twonky control panel, and select the ‘Settings|Sharing’ page, it will show a list of devices that are accessing the Twonky database. At the right had side, there is a column to select ‘Navigation Type’ (or something like that). This allows you to select what views Twonky will offer your when browsing media; ‘Advanced Navigation’ will produce the widest selection of views.

But, as Bennor says, it’s down to the DLNA client what views it chooses to present (or there may be some settings).

Smart TVs, IMHO, aren’t a good way of getting smart function into a TV, as the range of apps is often very limited, they don’t update very often, you often pay a significant premium for the ‘smart’ bit, and they often have an obscure front end. That why I chose a dumb TV and a cheap Android media box; I get app updates as soon as they’re available on the Play store, I get the unrestricted range of apps for my platform, and I get a familiar Android front end system. I can even add a HDD to my media box and make it into a media and file server…