Sorting files by folder, rather than by file type?

Hey there, I’m using my 4TB My Cloud on my Mac 5,1 running Mojave (10.14.6) and am enjoying putting various family uploads from our phones onto the drives, so that we can watch them together on the TV.

However, I’m creating folders of “events” that we did that contain both photos and videos.

When i’m searching for them, only the videos will show up OR only the photos will show up, but not together in the same folder.

Is there a way to enable “files” of any kind to sit and stay in their partiular created folder to view?

FYI - I’m creating these new folders in the “Public” folder, (NOT the shared photos folder or shared videos folder) and each of those created folders have both photos and videos in them, however i’m unable to view all of the photo and video file types together.

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!

How are you searching for them? Using what app or program? Are you searching a local network My Cloud or a remote network My Cloud?

I’m searching on my Smart TV in the MyCloud app on the TV.

My Cloud app on the smartTV? Did you install the My Cloud app to the smartTV?

One might be able to select “All” in the WD My Cloud mobile app to display all the media in the selected folder.

What specific My Cloud model do you have? A single bay model or multi bay model? What firmware version is it running (V4.x, v2.x or v5.x)? Note the My Cloud Home is a completely different device that uses a different operating system and has different features than the My Cloud line of devices.

Sorry, i guess it’s not an “app” per say, but it’s on my Samsung Smart TV, and in the “source” section, the WDMYCloud “app”? is there, and that is how i can access the contents on my WDmyCloud Drive.

So to be clear, it’s when using this “app” on my Samsung Smart TV, i can access everything on the drive (for the most part), but when i do, any photos and videos in a particular folder in the “public” folder, only show one or the other. Not both together in the same folder.

So as a solution, i have to watch all the videos first, then exit and find that folder again in the photos section, and see all the pertaining photos in another folder.

It’s really stupid how it’s separated like that, and is totally hindering the fun of sharing personal family photos and videos in one go.

Likely what you are experiencing is the TV using DLNA to access the My Cloud’s media server (likely Twonky). If this is the case then the TV is likely operating as expected. You may want to review the TV’s user manual to see exactly what kind of local network access it supports (SMB or DLNA). The TV app may have settings that allow you to change what files it displays. Most times TV’s will use DLNA to access local network devices. DLNA generally doesn’t operate like a file manager (Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder) to display all the files in a folder. It typically only shows supported media files and then usually breaks it down into Photo, Music, Video categories. Certain DLNA clients might have additional options to display all the media it finds rather than by specific category of media type.

Because you haven’t indicated what specific My Cloud model and firmware you are using, I can only assume that you are using the default media server (Twonky) on the My Cloud. If so see the following Twonky FAQ which has some suggestions on how to make it work better including changing some settings that affect how the client side (your TV) might view the media content.

Hi Bennor,

I’m not sure how to log into my account to see the info, but scrolling through older convos on here with you, i see that reversed my firmware so i could have access to it.

It’s: 2.10.302

and the S/N ends in .10, so it’s a generation 2 MyCloud.

Thank you for the link and the detailed info about the DLNA and Twonky (haha…sounds funny), i will definitely read up on this and hopefully it will aid me in finding a solution.

Thank you very much again!