My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

Noticed a new update 5.09.115

If anyone tests it to see if the indexing problem was solved we appreciate your comments.

@RogerFx 5.09.115 resolved a specific issue indexing large TIFF and PSD files.

Only Too happy to oblige. The answer is no. Restsdk-Server is running and trashing the disks and ignores whether I turn cloud access off or on. It is a complete junkyard and the shabbiest piece of Software i have Seen in ages. The only thing that Works is open a ssh session and send ā€œrestsdk.sh stopā€ to dump it. Are there any developers working at WD? I guess there are only marketing guys left over?

1 Like

Maybe there are, and theyā€™ve been guided to trash the disks and make the users buy new ones. After all, what can be expected of a firm which released such a trashy OS with literally half of its predecessorā€™s functionality, and screwed the remaining half.

Does the indexing happen after installing My Cloud 5? Or is it after installed apps like twonky?

Things looked normal after the upgradel but Twonky it began churning when I configured the ā€œPublicā€ share (my media). The laptop went to sleep and now I canā€™t access the server and had to uninstall. Plex installed on a laptop a few years ago indexed all the music but also failed to connect after a short time. I like things that just work. :frowning:

I have no trouble streaming media files using VLC and am thinking I should stick to my simple tree structure to find things. (Videos > Exercise > Yoga ā€¦)

Both,
Unlike a newly purchased device that gets data added over time, the update to OS 5 must create a whole new index and generate previews for the content.

Twonky and Plex have their own indexes and thumbnail generation process and triggers.

The Update to 5.09.115 includes a new screen in the Migration Flow process that allows the end user to select which shares they want indexed and which ones they do not.

^- - - - -thatā€™s all well and good, but if the indexing function is going to be this paragon of efficiency, the end users still desperately need a way to index by directory, not share.

I canā€™t find migration flow - did I miss it when OS 5 was being installed?! I assume the entire drive is indexed - a name search with Agent Ransack found all the files in 2 seconds. Of course Windows search took ten times longer. :wink:

NO, absolutely.

Itā€™s this screen when updating from OS 3 to 5.09.115

Indexing for over a month. Even after turning of cloud access disks run smoking hot.

Yesterday I moved my new 12Tb disk to my old Synology NAS and it works perfect! Running at normal temperature even at full load.

Terrible WD! Never ever will I buy any Western Digital product again :frowning:

4 Likes

It was a great product from WD, but after upgrading to OS5, My Cloud EX Ultra became a completely useless piece of ā– ā– ā– ā– . To garbage. Shame on WD.

3 Likes

I honestly regret giving to this company 700ā‚¬ for my driveā€¦
Since the update its constantly making noise because of the fanā€¦
The indexing is over but its constantly ā€œindexingā€ things even if I do not add anything to it.
And obviously Iā€™m not going to disable web access or else why would I use this???
Iā€™m seriously disappointed. Any way around to stop the indexing but do not disable the web service?
I can stop the restsdk-server service via putty and it goes quiet but the web access gets disabled until I restart itā€¦
Thanks

Iā€™m just adding to the list, indexing for over 24 hours, updated to OS5 after putting it off. Wish I had stayed on 3, I guess I was feeling overzealous. Going to look into a new NAS box to drop my drives into, assuming they donā€™t get fried by the indexing in the meantime. I recommend using the ā€œprovide feedbackā€ option in the OS5 app on your phone and express your displeasure. The indexing is so absurd, I donā€™t want or need the ability to scroll through 10 years of pictures, all indexed with a ā€œpretty picture.ā€ as a photographer, Iā€™m using this to quickly share exports with friends and clients, not making a damned scrapbook.

oh and another thing, whatā€™s with the internet-facing address when logging into the device on my network? Why does this forward me to a device-local****.remotewd.com address? Why isnā€™t this being served from then as just like my router? This feels like the worse case scenario. I havenā€™t tried to connect to the NAS without internet access yet, Iā€™m curious if itā€™ll throw an error.

Here are the measured experiences I have captured for a PR2100.

PR2100 - 4GB RAM, 8TB Total NAS, 4TB Usable in RAID 1
Video - 2.58 TB, 3750 files
Indexing - 16 hrs
Generating Previews - 64 hrs
300 GB additional space used for Previews.

Keeping drives <=38 degrees C by blowing fan on front of unit while back of unit is facing a slightly open window with outside temps ranging from 20-36 degrees F.

I am in the process of doing same for a PR4100 (16GB RAM, 32GB NAS, 16GB Usable in RAID 10) that has more video in addition to music and photos. Will share those results upon completion.

@rwbii If youā€™re not using MyCloud.com Web and Mobile App to view your video content, you can disable ā€œOptimize Video Playbackā€ and save yourself some Generating Previews and Disk Space.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30085

Understood and thanks. I am aware of the features of the latest release.

I am using both the mycloud app and mycloud.com so I let the processes finish.

Just wanted to share my specific duration experiences with the group in the event another user wants to a basis from which to forecast.

Try this for your device fans to actually pick up speeds. For some reason, PR4100 fans are set not to speed up unless hard disk temperature rises to dangerous levels in my opinion, assuming its similar for PR2100.

https://community.wd.com/t/fan-speed-too-low/258861/18?u=mirge101

Thanks. Interesting.

My PR4100 fan speed has stayed constant at 540 rpm throughout the process.

My PR2100 fan speed seems to stay at 1080 rpm during normal use, but did rise to 1154 rpm during the indexing and thumbnail generating process.

However, I havenā€™t let the drives get really warm as they are getting cold fresh air directly.