My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

@Bartaholic

To check the HDD Temperatures, on the Dashboard home screen, in the Device box, click the grey arrow in Diagnostics (where it says Healthy), this will popup more info, including the temps.

If you reboot, the indexing just continues, it doesn’t start from the beginning. If you’ve excluded shares from the cloud/indexing, it could be worth a reboot; doing this seemed to get things moving for me.

Check for firmware updates too (this will reboot if one is required anyway).

How come i can’t update my MCMirror yet, I keep getting the message telling me that I am up today ( 5.07.115 ). ?

Could this be because I live in the UK ?

Its the 10th here in the afternoon !

Steve

@Steve09 they slowly roll out the updates. You could download the firmware file and update manually in the settings.

Btw I’m now stuck on generating thumbnails (they could have give us a percentage on that one too…). Hopefully this won’t take forever as I have as a sports photographer approx 500k image files (raw and jpg) on the NAS :rofl::weary::sleepy:

Drives won’t sleep probably because of the thumbnails… so bad sleep for me too.

do you have a link for the Update so I can install manually ?

Its ok I’ve found it it just downloaded, let see what happens ?

To give all you guys out there a light in the tunnel, I gotta say here that I’m very happy with OS 5.06.115, it took only 3 weeks of of indexing and thumbnail generating, but everything works faster and having thumbnails access to all the pictures is really nice!! WD next time maybe start from designing a PROGRESS BAR , those hard drives all quite often people’s life you can’t limit access to that data for weeks on without any indication of what’s going on

So I have two EX4100s being used for storage of research and photos, but also have a large FLAC format music database. finally, I backup my family’s phones (4 count). I have been using Smartware to backup my Windows 10 boot drive for my desktop too. I have about 9TB of data files and I use RAID 10, so that is about doubled. I use iOS MyCloud app to access photos, videos, and the music on my iPad and phone when I’m remote from my wifi.

Both My Clouds are currently still using OS3. I read the compatibility issues with OS5, and hesitated to upgrade because I didn’t feel like configuring a new Smartware replacement Then I looked on here for replacement backup (Acronis seems to be WD recommendation), and saw ALL the issues with OS5. So much frustration, that people left WD products for competitors and someone figured how to go back to OS3. But then I see some people have liked the OS5.

If you’re still reading and posting here (rather than in another manufacturer’s forum) what is your recommendation for my situation? Stay with OS3 or brave OS5?

@mdhokie I upgraded my PR4100 and EX4100 to OS5 at laaunch and my strong recommendation is to stick with OS3. OS5 has glaring functionality deprecation and bugs. To WD’s credit, things have been on the right track since launch with each firmware update. I understand there won’t be major updates for OS3 going forward but it’s going to take some time for OS5 to even catch up with OS3 from a functionality perspective so you won’t be missing much for a while.

1 Like

Tengo un EX2 ULTRA desde 2018 y me ha funcionado digamos que aprobadito funcionando con OS3
Me he pasado hace unos dias a OS5 Y ES LA MAYOR CAGADA QUE HE VISTO!!

Como WD ha lanzado ESTA MIERDA DE FIRMWARE???

ENCIMA EL BOT ME CENSURA. EN EL ANTERIOR COMENTARIO ME HAN BORRADO/QUITADO DOS PALABRAS ESCATOLOGICAS “… ES LA MAYOR…” a continuacion escribi COGODO (por favor cambien la O por la A

Tambien han quitado la palabra MEIRDA (cambiar el orden de la e y la i)

Valiente manada de h de la gran P !!!

I see honestly no benefit to OS5 whatever except the hardened security.
In your situation I would definitely stay with OS3 as long as possible

1 Like

By the way - I just want to add to that. I had OS5 pretty much functionally working by using Docker and Nextcloud (the main problem for me is the lost cloud functionality especially but not only the 5GB upload limit and inability to copy across shares).
But then I had occasion to take a drive out of the unit and noticed it was actually almost red hot. And then I just thought, Ive had enough of this. How can WD put my expensive drives through this.
So I honestly think for 99% of people if OS3 is working and if you have your data backed up and router / firewall set up OK with hard passwords etc etc, which everybody should do anyway, just stick with OS3 until WD take it away.

Well I’ve sat back and waited. 111 came along then 118. I can’t remember when this topic started, but I do certainly remember it When OS5 came along many many weeks ago.
My PR4100 used to spend most of it’s time in standby, with activity from backup software or files I needed.
Since the upgrade to OS5 I don’t have a single recollection of it ever not having the blue lights flashing on the drives, Certainly not seen a standby.
I’m worried that the wear and tear on the actual drives is damaging. Probably not covered by any guarantee for the drives…
Mentioned above was the use of a Fan. Mine regularly get to 40 My fan goes on and they will reduce to what used to be the normal temp of 33/32.
Don’t get me wrong, I am a great fan of the PR4100, but wish I had not updated to OS5.
Since moving to the 118 firmware it used to be indexing that was keeping it going, but now I find a different message. CONNECTED (Generating Previews.)I’ve asked what these previews are, but nothing, can I switch them of, no answer. If it’s making previews of every photo on the system then it’s going to be a long time 30,000+ photos on one folder/sub folders.
WD don’t seem to be taking this seriously, it really needs sorting asap
Regards
Princy557

1 Like

Hi. Short term PR4100 owner here. This is my first and likely last post.
Just got a PR4100 3 days ago. Looked nice, very excited, replacing a WD NAS I have had for 14(!!) years that worked quite well.
I got a new WD mainly on that basis.
I researched on YouT, reviews, everywhere. Got a PR4100 with 4 x 4TB WD HD.
So I started the install, and accepted the “upgrade” to OS5 not knowing the repercussions. I read all the WD info to make sure I did it right.
Loaded 2 TB of data then activated Cloud Access because that is a selling point and very useful. The system got very loud, and quite hot.
After 1 full day, 24% of indexing, I am saying “WTF is going on here?”. Can’t find hardly any files visible on the cloud access app. Is it broken? I am getting concerned. Have I done something wrong? Screwed this up somehow? I was careful, followed all the instructions. I put in an incident to the WD site.
Completely confused, I started to look around for more info, and found this forum. Sadly not soon enough.
So, I have been indexing for one day and got about 1/4 of 2 TB. I have 6TB to add still. Another 15 DAYS of indexing!!! more or less.
I stopped indexing for a while to stop the noise.
When I restarted, now down to 15% and thrashing the drives again. I stopped it for good. See attached pic, hopefully this worked.
index after stopping now 15% sm|690x423
Decided life is WAY too short for this cr@p and will send it back as I am fortunately inside the return window.
So, thanks to all who posted very good info here. Sadly I did not find it in time to stop my initial purchase, but I will learn from my mistakes.
Have ordered a similar spec Synology, hopefully it is better. Could hardly be worse.
This WD firmware OS5 is not fit for purpose, totally unacceptable. WD have lost a long term customer if it matters to them at all.

1 Like

I agree with everything you have said Gerryw , what i don’t understand with WD, they don’t seem to have taken any notice with all the comments which have gone before and sorted it out.

OS 5 is not fit for purpose, they ( WD ) just have not done 'due-diligence '. It ( OS 5 ) just needs to be pulled and completely re built from scratch . Listern to their customers ( That’s us by the way WD ) , admit OS 5 is a failure , not fit for purpose in its present guise and give everyone the ability to ‘Down grade’ back to OS 3 which works fine.

I have a single My Cloud on OS 3 it works not only that, one the the main issues I have with OS 5 is that using the App ( on my iPad ) connecting to the drive , go to my share ‘movies’ , choose a movie ( which is a MKV file ) and it doesn’t play, won’t even recognise it or give me the option to choose a different App ( VLC ). Just rubbish, yet ( and I tried this yesterday ) with OS 3 it straight away gives me the option to open the MKV file in VLC, no problem.

So here is the question WD ‘Why’ haven’t you checked all of this out first before releasing OS 5 ??

As Gerryw stated - " This WD firmware OS5 is not fit for purpose, totally unacceptable "

Steve ( rant over )

1 Like

Hi all,

Just heads up as well I have a PR2100 I think & if you have raid 1 & have a lot of media the indexing process duplicates on both drives so essentially if indexing takes 200GB it will actually be 400GB in total this happened to me & have felt cheated they did this. Managed to get another device sent to me under warranty.

OS5 does work for some foke but I’m just putting it out there the whole indexing/thumbnail issue is a big flaw in this new software update as it did not do anything like this was os3. I have turned automatic updates off on my new device for this purpose & I have all my space back after just copying my data from the os5 device to the new os3 one.

@gerryw1000,

Try turning off the Mobile & Web app access for the network share that you don’t need remote access. Here are a couple articles that may help.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30021/kw/indexing

@jchen WDStaff
I am very happy to report that since my last post I have totally resolved the problem with this defective firmware and I need no further “support”.

I have returned the NAS and I am no longer an owner.

Since it seems someone from WD does read the forums, it would be useful if you acted upon it instead of blaming users. Those who value the cloud access feature of a device actually called “My Cloud” have been left high and dry by WD.

It is completely unreasonable to expect users to wait weeks to get cloud access to large shares. Just saying “turn off the feature” is not really a good solution.

4 Likes

I love this repli ! Well done !
What a shame from WD support to propose such solutions… they do not take care of their customers… which are now their concurrent customers.