My Cloud not compatible with macOS High Sierra

In my New MacBook Pro withs APFS don’t work!!!

Hi, same issue. I can’t select any file or folder. MacBook Pro High Sierra

Same issue here. In just two months my ‘WD My Cloud’ device got obsolete – a new software was released for newer devices and no support/updates from WD to My Cloud series.

Completely regret my choice.

Same issue with MacBook Pro and High Sierra.

Maybe I am missing the point, but why are you even bothering with the WD Sync software? Maybe I am thinking old school, but only use my WD MyCloud for the files I want to have shared. I also can use my WD in place of my Timemachine for the backup purpose, but in reality, I can’t see that the ability to map your WD MyCloud device as a drive would have went away.

I guess my question is what efficiency is gained by the sync software that can’t be overcome by simply mapping the drive and opening the files that you are worried about from the WD MyCloud device and saving it on the device? I have the similar problems with Microsoft Sharepoint and 365 items. It normally ends badly with corrupt files sync issues, etc.

The main advantage with WD Sync was the ability to sync remotely and to have “versioning” so one could recover a change/deleted file. Otherwise for local network access to a My Cloud one doesn’t need to use any WD software. Plus there are a number of third party sync and backup programs (some free) that offer more features/capability than those offered for free by WD.

Since WD introduced OS 3 (around 2015) for the My Cloud they removed the capability to remote map a My Cloud.

Unless used in a small business environment, I still don’t see the advantage, even with versioning, which can be accomplished, like you said, with other third party tools or by the actual parent application that the person is using.

While I can’t remote map from outside my network, I can still map to a local machine (Mac or Windows) and share that local machine. Of course security concerns might keep folks from doing such things.

I guess because I have never relied on the WD Sync for remote use I am not missing anything. You said they removed the ability to remote map a My Cloud? Not internally on your host network they didn’t.

Yes, they did. Being able to map a MyCloud when remote from the betwork was a very nice feature, allowing you to access your device like a locally-connected drive, and use it with any program you wished. it was a very sad loss.

I’m mapped to mine still on my Mac on the same network. That stated, it is just a matter of a technical solution to be able to do the same if you are able to reach that network that the WD device is attached to. It goes beyond a standard user, but still something that can be accomplished.

Yes. WD removed in late 2015 the ability to remotely map a My Cloud through the WD2Go.com (now MyCloud.com) web portal (using WebDAV apparently). this was separate from the ability to locally map the My Cloud while on the same local network as the My Cloud.

https://community.wd.com/t/re-enable-remote-drive-mapping-through-mycloud-com/134944

Here is an example of what WD2Go.com used to look like. If one selected “Open in Explorer” it would “map” the My Cloud and one could access their My Cloud while in a remote location:

But the same functionality really still exists, it is just the interface. It wouldn’t automatically reattach the drive, in a true mapped drive sense, so the feature is still there if you know the external IP address.

We are going a bit off topic from the High Sierra issue, but no the feature is not still there even if you know the external IP address of the single bay/single drive My Cloud. While the more expensive multi bay My Cloud models apparently do support WebDAV, the entry level single bay/single drive My Cloud models have been nutered to the point that one has to use either an unofficial mod for first gen v4.x single bay My Cloud units or supposedly hack the firmware of the second gen v2.x single bay My Clouds to re-enable it. There are several past discussions elsewhere in this subforum on attempting to bring back this “feature” that WD removed in late 2015.

Point being to bring this back on track, WD has taken away features even if not part of the marketing materials, and has added features (like WD Sync) over the years. WD is a hardware company and the free software they include is often bare bones and as some have discovered can be buggy.

1 Like

No, it really doesn’t. Remote mapping and local mapping were achieved by different means.

The local mapping still exists, using SMB, as part of your computer’s network file management (it’s mostly your OS doing the mapping, connecting to the SMB file server).

Remote mapping, using WebDAV, has been removed, and can only be achieved now by installing a replacement WebDAV module, or by using a VPN to access your local network remotely (using a VPN function in your router).

FTP is still available on the configuration, isn’t it? If yes, then the same functionality exists.

FTP is generally an insecure method of access. The remote mapping functionality was supposedly done through a secure connection. So while on the surface it may appear the same functionality exists, in reality using FTP is potentially less secure than other methods of remote access to the My Cloud. If one wants to use FTP they should look into the various discussions on trying to enable SFTP on the My Cloud in an attempt to have a more secure method of remote access.

Although I appreciate the high level of discussion re network backups, the bottom line is the following:

1. Apple updates its OS at the same time every year.
  2. High Sierra was in beta for months.
  3. It’s industry standard that third party developers whose products work and profit off this OS ensure that their product are compatible on day 1.
  4. WD is in the storage and backup business, which is essential to its customers.
  5. WD sold MyCloud advertising and including in its promo materials, manual and box, the ability to sync thru its own software. This is not “free” as some have alluded to in this forum, just like drivers not being “free” when purchasing a printer.
  6. WD has been made aware (although they should’ve known) of this incompatibility.
  7. WD continues to market and sell this product with the WD Sync feature.
  8. It has been over one month since High Sierra was released and WD has yet to acknowledge this issue!
  9. The countless calls. Personally have made to WD tech support have led to denial, or meaningless troubleshooting.

That’s the all in a nutshell. And we are still waiting on WD …

2 Likes

I guess, the bottom line is who do you think is responsible for making something work? Apple or WD? Technically speaking it appears that the MyCloud may be fairly popular with Apple users. Given that Apple does make a product that does most if not all of what the WD product does, I doubt that Apple would want to ensure other products are tested.

Hey…it’s the same stupid story since the advent of IT. Once it is working the way everyone wants, someone goes and makes an update causing an issue…if only to generate more revenue. I am mad at Apple right now because I can’t upgrade my iMac, even though it could technically handle the latest version.

WebDAV does not guarantee security either BTW.

My guess is that WD probably wants to push their home type users to the My Cloud Home line and support for the My Cloud devices will end soon anyhow. Right now My Cloud sits right between the average home user and the more robust offerings they have, though that would be rather stupid…I can see that happening.

Unfortunately, MyCloud Home is having High Sierra compatibility issues as well. As for who is responsible, the answer is simple: both MS and Apple create OS on which tech companies profit. It’s counterintuitive to expect Apple to ensure that WD products are compatible with its OS. That’s the third party’s job.

As for updates, I for one, believe that we can’t and would not want to stifle new developments because they might create problems for third parties who make money off this OS to begin with.

Frankly, this theoretical discussion about who is at fault is a bit strange. Just like everyone else, WD has an obligation to update its products so that they are compatible with each OS, especially when it continues to sell those products now.

1 Like

I have an interesting observation. I have a 5k iMac as well as a MacBook Pro.

The iMac is running macOS 10.13 and WD Sync seems to work although I had to uninstall and reinstall to get it working. I can select and add folders to the sync process.

The MacBook Pro is running macOS 10.13.1 beta 5 (probably the last beta before final release). I cannot get the WD Sync to work on the MacBook Pro. I have deleted and reinstalled with no luck. I have the same issue as others that the folder selection is grayed out.

The key difference between the 2 devices is that the MacBook Pro has the SSD formatted with the new APFS formatting. The iMac is standard formatting as APFS does not support a fusion drive (probably lucky for me). I do not believe running macOS 10.13.1 is the cause.

Curious if there is anybody with a MacBook Pro, macOS 10.13, and selected not to convert the SSD to APFS during the upgrade process. Are they having any issues?

1 Like