Re-Enable Remote Drive Mapping Through MyCloud.com

Probably already been complained about here but please add back the ability to the online web portal MyCloud.com (formerly WD2Go.com) to “map” a drive while connected remotely. There are many complaints in the My Cloud forum about this feature being removed when the WD2Go.com site was revamped. Please listen to these complaints rather than blowing these complaints off with excuses about how it is no longer supported. There has to be a way to re-enable this feature either in the new online portal or via a software app or by adding it to the WD My Cloud Desktop software.

18 Likes

1 Like

“Please listen to these complaints rather than blowing these complaints off with excuses about how it is no longer supported.”

I’d even go one further and say that the removal of this feature has rendered this device as good as useless to me. I purchased this for the exact reason that I was able to access my files remotely outside my own wifi-network, in a way that would mimic a normal drive (like dropbox, for instance). You know, like a Cloud.
Now that this is no longer possible this device is basically no longer a cloud device. For a product that’s called MyCloud, it’s a mistake beyond words.
In all honesty, this is such a dealbreaker that, if it won’t be fixed, I’d want to get my money back as the product doesn’t function at all anymore as promised / advertised.
It’s unbelievable how such a straightforward cloud-function is canned. Unbelievable.

9 Likes

I recently bought a my cloud to be able to access my files from a remote network. I think it’s obvious one should be able to map this as a regular hdd instead of using an extra software package. As I understand this is a function that used to be available and has been removed!?! That’s ridiculous!

2 Likes

Just to add my voice here. I would LOVE to see remote mapping re-enabled. It was by far the most usable feature of my 6 MyCloud devices.

2 Likes

Ha ha; I didn’t know either that this used to be supported.

I’m using VPN from my PC to the router on my MyCloucMirror Network so that I can then map drives again.

At least my way doesn’t rely on any WD servers…

I agree with those who have voiced their concern and even distress about the loss of mounting the shares as drives when accessing remotely. Many of the phrases I have read exactly mirror my own thoughts: “there has to be a way”, “the removal of this feature has rendered this device as good as useless to me” (for me it is uniquely useful now only as a toy -I can use any hard drive as a backup and dropbox to share files, etc.), “dealbreaker” (yes, I wouldn’t have bought it), “it’s obvious one should be able to map this as a regular hdd”, "It was by far the most usable feature of my 6 MyCloud devices ".

I will say however that I think the MyCloud has enormous potential. WD has a great idea but its potential must be used, to be great.

2 Likes

I just sent a suggestion on this: http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=2676… and suggested they title it “How to map a LOCAL My Cloud or NAS device on a Windows PC” and then create another one called, “How to map a REMOTE My Cloud or NAS device on a Windows PC.”

Bump because the thought of having to create a cloud using a VPN tunnel to remotely map something I purchased called “MyCloud” is asinine.

As I don’t see much feedback, I am not sure what WD is asking their developers to provide focus. Hopefully we can steer that…
I just set this up on co-funded:
http://co-f.co/Pz

I agree, they need to re-enable this function…

I second that… I was actually going to create a post.
WE NEED, the availability to access remotely mapped drive…

An easy fix would be the implementation of a free DDNS that would take the IP to a domain… and then we could map that DDNS instead and therefore have access remotely…

1 Like

I strongly agree. I really hope Western Digital decides to put back this feature.

I was able to re-enable it in the most recent MyCloud firmware (v04.04.01-112) by using SSH to make a simple modification to one of MyCloud’s web server configuration files. After making the change I can remotely map a folder using the following standard Windows 7 command:

net use z: \\device1234567-12345678.wd2go.com@SSL:443\Public_ /User:user_id password

(Note that the above host name, user_id, and password are a random example.)

To me this suggests that, from a technical stand point, it would not be difficult to put back this feature. I imagine it come down to whether there is enough demand to warrant the effort involved in documenting, supporting, and maintaining the feature.

2 Likes

What was that simple modification?

At this point I am hesitant to describe the change in detail for a few reasons:

1. I am a complete novice with regards to apache web servers. Therefore I do not feel qualified to asses any potential security issues that could be introduced by my modification.
  2. I am hoping that a lot of people will reply to this topic to express interest in this feature so Western Digital will put it back. If the instructions are here I suspect many people will just do it themselves and not reply to the thread.

That being said the basic idea is as follows… Remote folder mapping is accomplished using WebDAV. The MyCloud is running an apache web server and apache supports WebDAV. The current MyCloud firmware still enables the apache WebDAV module but removed the configuration that is needed to turn it on for each share. The configuration was previously located in the following text configuration file \root\etc\nas\apache2\auth\require.inc. I just added back the 15 or so lines of configuration required to turn on WebDAV for my public share.

Here are a few other details:

Unless you make further modifications to the configuration, the username and password that need to be used in the windows 7 command are actually a user id number assigned by the MyCloud and a hash of the users password. I learned about this in the following post: https://community.wd.com/t/enable-webdav/94727/3.

The hostname to use in the Windows 7 command is the hostname provided by the Western Digital DDNS service. You also need to make sure that windows considers the security certificate to be valid. This can be done by going to the webpage in internet explorer (for example https://device1234567-12345678.wd2go.com) and making sure there are no certificate warnings. If there is a warning the certificate will need to be accepted before Windows will allow a WebDAV connection.

Lastly the :443 in my Windows 7 command example assumes that port 443 is the port that has been forwarded.

If it becomes apparent that Western Digital is not going to add the feature back, it wouldn’t be too hard to write a complete step by step guide on how to do this.

1 Like

Thanks Damian21,

Thanks for your helpful information, but please try to write a complete step by step guide on how to do this.

More than acknowledged it must be fixed asap. This is an integral part of the drive. There is a whole section on its manual on how to remote access through wd2go. Surely I could argue that, now that a standard feature is unavailable, under the warranty the drive is now faulty! Please get this back asap.

3 Likes

I fully agree with the above posts. I purchased two WD mycloud to mirror between two remote sites. It is not achievable with the web interface. So please put back the functionality asap.

1 Like

What can I say that hasn’t been already stated … I agree this feature needs to be re-instated.

3 Likes

This has now rendered what was a good and useful piece of kit into nothing more than a cardboard box. I purchased this due to its ease of use and that files could be connected to via a mapping function on remote computers. I feel like I have been tricked into buying something thats not fit for purpose. Would love to think I’d be covered by the sale of goods act but I highly doubt it as there will be some mumbo jumbo nonsense in paperwork somewhere, that said I will still have a read through everything to see if there is a loophole somewhere. Might as well have come with a disclaimer saying WD reserve the right to enter your property and rip out the electrical components from your WD Cloud box!

A very annoyed customer

2 Likes