My Cloud is constantly on offline?

I hav ebeen trying with WD company to resolve the issue and must say the guy i was dealing has been really good , he spend a lot of time and sharing to assist , we even share screen to try to resolved and was very hopeful to see a positive end but when finally everything was starting to b ein place an dworkin gI started to ling my Iphone to the machine to synchronise my pictures (main purpose of the machine to save me space in cloud and on my phone) after downloading 40% the machine started to hang and tried to reset so many time that after a while I let it run with blue light flashing but been now 3 weeks and nothing improved. I dont know if it is the upgrade to O5 or the pictures which kind of block the machine as for weeks I managed to make the machine run without the pictures synchronisation as soon as I started the pictures issue booom all gone. WD guy told me in few words nothing much he can do other than change which is not right as machine not very old and never used previously. Now looking at other option in market.

I got this issue last week. After couple months upgrade to OS5 with out any problem. I use both Twonky and Plex app. Today I will try to disable Twonky rescan as @Bennor said. If it’s not working, I will look for Synology replacement.

I found out. Plex run scheduled task for maintenance. Turn it of and NAS works. I change to Emby for my media server.

Hey todasson. I have been unable to even send the support my logs, they could not see them on the botttom of the support ticket. So i have been trying to get them to look at my logs since 8/11. Meanwhile I had to reboot the device with a smart plug every day to keep accessing my files. That caused a SMART error. I gave up, told them I don’t need any help now and bought a Synology. Good luck everybody with OS5!

Similar here. I updated to the os5 and have had nothing but problems. The drives go offline, say they’re failing, or that there is a volume issue. I reset, everything goes back to good and healthy.

Maybe they don’t understand the words that everyone is saying - the device is offline. Maybe a few other words to better understand the problem - It is not visible. It is not accessible. I cannot access the drive. The drive does not show up as a device in Windows Explorer. The WD Dashboard states “OFFLINE”.

I agree with you. I’ve had absolutely no problems for year while using OS3. I installed OS5 and now My Cloud is OFFLINE. Really? The drive suddenly crapped out or the OS screwed the drive up. I assume the later over the former. So instead of testing this internally, WD decided to test out this OS5 on the end users that purchased their drives and stored GBs and GBs of data. If and when I get my data off the My Cloud I am DUMPING ALL WD DRIVES THAT I HAVE. This is inexcusable!!

1 Like

Hi,
Has there been an update to this please?
Thank you.

SO - - - when going from OS/3 to OS/5 all the user accounts are “reset”.

All the shares are there. . . .all the data is there. . . .it’s just not assigned to users.

To assign users (even the admin) to shares; one needs to complete the setup process by logging into the device dashboard. This is done by typing in the IP address (or device name) into a browser (WEB BROWSWER address bar. Once you do that. . .you will be directed to the dashboard.
I am sure there FAQs for “OS/5 setup” somewhere on the site.

I am also having this problem. Did the upgrade to OS5. It never stays connected to the network. Always offline. Anyone have a solution?

I did this when I moved from OS3 to OS5. I set up the new admin account with a new password. Does not seem to help. Can’t get it to stay online. No matter how often I try to get to the dashboard by putting in the ip address, nothing. Just churns.

1 Like

Can you please point me to the Linux solution?

I just bought a USB to SATA adapter, but have yet to try it. The basic process is as follows (stolen from one of these threads):

1. Open up the device
  2. Remove HDD
  3. Place HDD in a USB HDD enclosure (or install in a PC)
  4. Get a program that can read Linux EXT4 disks. (Windows won’t do this natively)
  5. Attach USB enclosure to PC, and use reader program to get the data.
  6. Recognize that you have learned an important lesson regarding backup to a 5+ year old mechanical HDD

See if one of these threads helps with details. I know there are many more threads describing the process bc ive stumbled upon them in an angry search:

Sounds like it is still indexing. . . What device is this EXACTLY. . .how much data on the drive?
Indexing on an EX2 ultra can take a few days. On a MyCloud Gen2. . .could take a week or two.

If it is indexing. . .you may want to think about getting some extra cooling on it.

The NAS drive is formatted in Linux EXT4 format. If you have freed the drive from the enclosure and the network requirement (circuit board), use the SATA to connect the NAS drive to a Linux machine (USB).
I took mine to a local computer repair shop (since I know little about Linux) and they just transferred the data to a portable drive I provided. You don’t need full scale data recovery, just transfer of the data.

Hi everyone,
I tried all methods posted here, (except the one where we open the My cloud device and take out the hard disk as am still keen on using it the way its supposed to be used), but sadly nothing worked out.
Whatever I do, it keeps blinking fast (blue light).
Is there someone who can connect with me personally to help me out please 
 or please suggest me where i can get some online help to get me this WD piece of C**p up and running which has stopped working post OS5 update.

Thanks a ton in advance.

I abdicated I worked hard with someone at WD who was really helpful but after long evening trying I end up stopping all try and purchase a Synology system and touch wood no issue so far and less headache . WD has some serious issue and sadly no one at WD level take it seriously to resolve them ! sorry WD was a waste of money and time !

One possible fix for a fast blinking blue front LED on a second gen single bay My Cloud was posted in another discussion:

Run a disk check via SSH or Telnet:
e2fsck /dev/sda3

Putty: https://www.putty.org/
usbrecovery.tar.gz: https://wd.hides.su/fox_exe/WDMyCloud-Gen2/usbrecovery.tar.gz