My Cloud Home - App for Mac

I keep seeing references to a desktop app for Mycloud Home, but all I’m able to find is WD Discovery, which is simply offers WD updates and advertising. Is there an app for Macs, or is only the web-based software available?

1 Like

If you could please use the search function top right of the page, that could show similar links such as this one:

1 Like

I’ve downloaded and installed WD Discovery for the Mac, but it will not open - is seems pointless other than it apparently allows WD to update firmware and send info to “business partners.”

@domarb
Have you read the User Manual? Below is information that comes from the User Manual and below that is a link for the User Manual.

Desktop App
The My Cloud Home desktop app provides quick access through a Windows or Mac computer. To
install the desktop app, follow these steps:

1. Open the My Cloud Home mobile app on your mobile device.
  2. Select the 3-line menu in the upper left-hand corner.
  3. This will expand the menu system. Select the option Get desktop app.
  4. This will open the Get the desktop app box. Select the SEND option and an email will be
    sent to the email address used to create your My Cloud Home account.
  5. Once the email arrives, on your desktop select either the PC Desktop App or MAC Desktop
    App, depending on what operating system your personal computer uses.
  6. After clicking one of the selections, a web browser will open. Follow the onscreen
    prompt to save the file.
  7. Open the file that was downloaded and follow the onscreen prompts to install the My
    Cloud Home desktop app.
  8. After the desktop app installs the Allow Analytics screen will display. Select either Allow
    or Don’t Allow.
  9. Next, login with your My Cloud Home account information.
  10. When prompted, choose the OPEN IN EXPLORER (OPEN IN FINDER for macOS) or OPEN IN
    BROWSER option to view the My Cloud Home device.
    a. Depending on the operating system, the OPEN IN EXPLORER option will open the My
    Cloud Home device in Windows File Explorer or OPEN IN FINDER in macOS Finder.
    b. The OPEN IN BROWSER option will open the My Cloud Home device in the My Cloud
    Home web app.

User Manual: My Cloud Home and My Cloud Home Duo (westerndigital.com)

Yes - I’ve gone through that procedure at least three times.

@domarb
What version of Mac are you currently using?

WD My Cloud Home: Best Cloud Storage for Photos (2 TB - 8 TB) | Western Digital

Monterey 12.1

I also tried accessing Mycloud Home via Safari vs. Firefox - Didn’t make a difference.

If you are worry about WDC leaking user data, you should set up your own NAS from opensource. If you read some of the links from ‘monterey discovery’ in a My Cloud Home subforum search, you will see that a possible solution is to lower security setting as Monterey is preventing WDD from installing.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don’t have the M1 processor. I’m running with the 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5.

Since you mentioned security, I went to Security and Privacy and granted full disk access to WD Discovery - again, no difference.

I get no email using this procedure.

Is there still a desktop app for Mac? I have installed the app on my iPhone, opened the 3-line menu at the top left, and there is no “Get desktop app” option show, just “import photos,” “do more,” and “copy USB.” The only backup option I’m offered is for my phone, which I don’t need as I use iCloud for that. I want to set up a backup for my MacBook Pro, but I don’t see how to do that without the desktop app.

Support from WD My Cloud is the worst I’ve ever seen

Hi @jmmturner, we apologize for any inconvenience that our support has caused. Please let me know if you have opened up a support ticket before so that I can escalate your issue to the correct team. If not, please start a support ticket here: https://www.westerndigital.com/support, and we will do our best to resolve it. Thank you for your patience!

Was this intended for me? I have no idea who @jmmturner is…

David Born

Thanks DB,

I’m getting loads junk also,

Regards

JMMT

Hi @domarb, my apologies for missing you on the last post. If your issue is still unresolved, please start a support ticket here: https://www.westerndigital.com/support , and we will do our best to resolve it. If you’ve already started one, please let me know the case number so I can escalate it to the appropriate team. Thank you for your patience!