My Cloud disconneted itself from network

The only thing that prevent concurrent drive disconnecting (for now) is to disable several processes via ssh ( http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/wdphotodbmerger-process-on-WD-My-cloud/m-p/605609/highlight/true#M252) but in this case I suppose DLNA and WD Photos won’t work.

I have remained connected continously for a week using a modified version of the crontab posted by Pavel in Message 71.  Pavel’s original crontab did not work for me for some reason but since I modified it to run a command every minute (rather than at 5 minute intervals), I have experienced zero downtime. When I removed the crontab as a test, the device disconnected after 3 hours. I reinstalled the crontab and have had no disconnects since.  

SSH into the device

crontab -e

#*/5 * * * * { /bin/date; export COLUMNS=300; /usr/bin/top -b -c -n 1; } >>/DataVolume/shares/Public/top.txt 2>&1
#*/5 * * * * { /bin/date; /bin/ps -ef; } >>/DataVolume/shares/Public/ps.txt 2>&1
#*/5 * * * * { /bin/date; /bin/netstat -a; } >>/DataVolume/shares/Public/netstat.txt 2>&1
*/1 * * * * { /bin/date; /sbin/ifconfig; } >>/DataVolume/shares/Public/ifconfig.txt 2>&1

I simply commented out 3 of the 4 lines of Pavel’s original crontab, then changed the timing of the last line to run every minute. 

Just wanted to add my experience. I purchased a My Cloud about a week ago, and had the same issue. In my case, when the My Cloud did show up on my network it was by IP address only. So in Windows Explorer I could only browse to it by IP. I started moving files to it, and it would disappear from the network after about an hour.

After reading this forum, I gave the device a static IP on my router (Netgear WNDR3700v3) and reset the router and power cycled the MyCloud. Since then, I’ve been up for about 36 hours now without disconnecting. I can also browse to the drive by name now instead of just IP.

I also disabled IPV6 on my desktop machine. I doubt this had anything to do with fixing the issue, but thought I would include this just in case.

This seems similar to a problem I had with a Samsung wireless laser printer that kept disappearing from my network. I gave it a static IP and that solved its problem as well.

I hope everyone else is finding a fix for this issue on their network. I did log a ticket with WD, and then told them I was able to fix my issue by browsing here.

Yesterday I returned after being away for 4 days, with all computers on the network turned off. The WD was still connected. For me the problem seems adequately resolved. Now onto figuring out how to get direct remote access. :slight_smile:

The changes I have made since it last disconnected is:

1. Turn of the HD disk sleep.

2. Set up a once a minute crontab:

• { /bin/date; export COLUMNS=300; /usr/bin/top -b -c -n 1; } >>/DataVolume/shares/Public/top.txt 2>&1
            • { /bin/date; /bin/ps -ef; } >>/DataVolume/shares/Public/ps.txt 2>&1
            • { /bin/date; /bin/netstat -a; } >>/DataVolume/shares/Public/netstat.txt 2>&1
            • { /bin/date; /sbin/ifconfig; } >>/DataVolume/shares/Public/ifconfig.txt 2>&

I faced this issue as well and created a script that checks local connectivity and restarts networking if it looks down. Scheduled it to run every 2 minutes, and no problem since 48h. Let’s wait and see in the long run

#!/bin/bash
up=`ping -c 1 192.168.1.1|grep "1 recei"|wc -l`
if [$up -eq "1"]; then
echo up
else
echo down
/etc/init.d/networking restart
date >> /nfs/Down/restarts.txt
sleep 120
fi

Well, after a few days without problems, an hour ago, when copying files from my PC to mycloud, I got an error message in the middle of the process (copied about 5 gb of 40).

So I went and check and voilà no access to dashboard or folders thru win explorer. Rebooted drive by the plug and I now have access to dashboard BUT NO access thru win explorer… in the configurations settings it says “no internet connection”.

So… I can access mycloud by dashboard but cannot use it by any other way.

Bravo WD, I have to say that you have disappointed me very much and I’ll definitely not recommend you in the future.

PS: Went to sleep and left mycloud disconnected; today morning after 8hrs… It’s working like this never happened. This is just ridiculous. Oh and it can’t be a temperature issue since I have it in a room at 15ºC/59ºF and it’s on top of a a TV table with nothing covering it, so go figure.

I am having the same problem from a My Cloud 4TB which started 3 days ago.  It has stalled/gone to sleep twice since then and is not pingable on the network IP is static, DNS set with A record. Recovery is via unplug/replug.  This unit is only four days old.

Firmware:  v3.01.04-139

Sleep: Off

Network summary:

Cisco Cable Modem

Netgear Router

1 Windows 2008 R2 Server

1 Ubuntu 13.0.4

2 Netgear Gigabit switches

1 MyBook Live 2Tb

4 WD TV Live Plus

3 Dell Laptops (windows 8 and 7)

1 Mac Book Pro (OSX)

1 Homerun TV

2 Nexus 7

4 Android Phones.

oh, and 1 WD (4TB) My Cloud as the new addition.

Never had an issue with anything else.  Seriously considering returning this unit.

I just want to add that I tried the cron job solution with it running every 5 minutes or every 1 minute, it doesn’t work for me. If you did not load much data returning it is the best option.

I am disappointed that with such an obvious problem affecting so many people nobody from WD said anything, or indicate a future fix.

Yes, I am receiving emails about other WD devices are on sale, good marketing, but no more!!!

Every morning I wake up, I find MyCloud disappeared from my network. The only way to get it back is unplug the power cable, detach MyCloud from router and then plug and attach again. If I have to do this every morning then it is not really a ‘Cloud’, better I could have gone for a traditional hard drive which would atleast be accessible(not over the internet) if connected to my laptop. I have made it static ip and reserved that IP in router DHCP. Let’s see how it goes.

I am surprised on how can WD be not concerned about this issue even if so many users are facing this.

I was having the same daily network disconnect problem until I manually re-installed the latest firmware (the same version it was already running). The drive has now been up for over 2 weeks without any issues.

DHCP IP address.

Drive sleep on.

Firmware download link:

http://www.wd.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfmycloud_s

Update - 3 hours after static ip change, MyCloud disappeared again! WTH!!!

I had a my book world dropping from the network so I thought maybe it was getting old so I bought My cloud and now having same problem with it. Thinking of returning it and giving up on WD. Anyone have suggestions on a better network hard drive?

Thanks to you all, as I’ve had the same problem, and been following the posts. I spent the better part of 4 hours with WD help folks and I have to say they really hung in there to help me with the situation.

Bottom line, while they didn’t find anything in my network that was set incorrectly the “FIX” that has been working for me (the WD MyCloud hasn’t disconnected for more that 5 days) follows.

Determine the MAC address that shows for my cloud in your router settings (cmd prompt then type in arp -a. Find the IP for MyCloud IP and record the MAC address.)

Plug in your WDMyCoud direct to your computer…Not through the router.

Find out the assigned IP address (cmd prompt then type in arp -a will show the MAC address to compare and then look up the assigned IP address) the WDMyCloud is on and type that into a browser (It likely is a 169.x.x.x IP address). You can determine the IP by comparing the previosly recorded Mac address that showed on your router setting and seeing what IP has been assigned…something like 00  90  A9  X   X   X

After typing in the IP into the browser The MyCloud dashboard should come up.

Check and corrrect, if necessay, all the orginal set up intructions that were requested in the original set up instructions.

Go to the Settings tab; click on the Utilities box: Select Shutdown.

When the drive completly shuts down reconnect it to your router and unplug MyCloud. After a few seconds replug the drive back in and wait for it to start up and reboot (blue light comes on).

Hopefully this will be the complete fix as it was on my drive…

Let me know if this helps any of you out there that are having trouble.

1 Like

I noticed a new firmware update today that claims it “Resolved issue of drives randomly losing connection to the network.”

http://www.wd.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfmycloud_s

Anyone give it a try? Is this problem finally resolved?

I’d be facinated to know what the cause/fix was.

Today is the first day since I got the device (~1 week ago) that it stayed on the network beyond 24 hours and I thought I should comment.

I found that on my home LAN the router (netgear and 2nd netgear AP) was allowing two devices to get the same IP.  In my case it was an android phone and the WD MyCloud server.  I think the phone had it first, went to sleep and it got assigned to WD.  When the phone reconnected the server had trouble.

The change I made was to assign a fixed address to the WD server that was at the high end of the range  of DHCP addresses where the router basically never assigns to anything else.  Hopefully that will prevent the double assignment and avoid the problem.  I’m not sure anyone else’s disconnects were caused by this but it seems plausible.

I will update the firmware tonight as well.

It disconnected from the network after sleep just 1h after updating the firmware :frowning:

Got new firmware update last night

Following events are generated on your WDMyCloud .
Event title:Firmware update successful
Event description:The firmware update was successful.
Severity:Info
Event time:01-08-2014 03:14:12 AM
Firmware version: 03.03.01-156

Tried to access it from iPad and iPhone at work… Disconnected…new activation code needed… f*ck it!

oldlinuxguy wrote:

I’m not sure anyone else’s disconnects were caused by this but it seems plausible.

That’d be a severe bug in either your tablet or your router…

The router should not re-assign the IP address to anything else until after the lease expires.

The tablet should not have re-used the IP address if the lease had expired, it should have requested a new lease.

The only way what you’ve seen could happen is if the router did something wrong, or the tablet kept using an old IP address.

After updating to the latest firmware (Firmware Release 3.03.01 (1/7/2014), I’m still having the same connectivity issues :frowning:

Yesterday I was watching a movie via DLNA and two times I got disconnected!!! I’m starting to have seconds thoughts about this purchase. Can’t use the harddrive for what I wanted.

I am also having this problem. It’s really annoying. Defeats the whole purpose of the drive. Has anyone tried Whipp’s fix a couple of comments above??