My Cloud disconneted itself from network

How do you disable ipv6? My device configured to use ipv4 (static).

AlexanderKrysko wrote:

How do you disable ipv6? My device configured to use ipv4 (static).

He already told you how.

My fault, need to use ssh…

I have the same problem about the disconnections and, as far as I know, none have a real or universal solution. Just guesses.

I wonder why is the WD Staff ignoring this subject… is this supposed to be a forum where we (users) discuss between us, or a forum where WD should be (at least trying) to help and give any feedback?

I am disappointed.

odamok wrote:

is this supposed to be a forum where we (users) discuss between us, or a forum where WD should be (at least trying) to help and give any feedback?

This is a user-to-user forum.  Not WD support.

So we post our issues to this forum and WD don’t read them? I find that strange? If WD were to read these forums and assist/provide input, they’d greatly reduce the individual support overheads. Casing point, if you had read and provided feedback to this discussion, there’s probably in excess of 50 WD customers that would not need to individually raise support cases.

Perhaps at the top of every page in a banner it needs to state that WD do not comment on issues raised in this forum. If you have an issue with your device, raise a support ticket, as discussing it in this forum will most likely not resolve anything.

Ok, you are right when you say this is a user-to-user forum. Sorry, but as a new member and looking at the saying “WD Community”, I thought it should be somehow related to WD itself.

Anyway, according to my experience and after reading other posts, a lot of people have tried to contact WD Support about this problem and they had no convincing answer.

What should we expect then?

Regarding:

Comment by TonyPh12345

This is a user-to-user forum.  Not WD support.

Sometimes WD does read this forum.

How do I know?     WD support contacted me specifically

about a post I made in this forum.

The contact was “by private message” so…  WD did not post in the forum.

Helpful?    Nope.     WD appeared to be gathering information about this problem.

No suggestions for fixing it were made.

No indication as to when or if it would be fixed.

Same thing in a different thread regarding safepoints.

WD contacted me, asked me to run short tests,

and took the results.   Two sessions with the same guy.

Same “no fix and don’t know when or if it would be fixed.”

Interesting to see Message 95.

Same problem on an entirely different model - the EX4

illiniwek wrote:

For novices like me…

So I originally reported several failures with my drive, including the familiar “drive disappearing from network”.  It’s been over 2 weeks now, and I can happily report that my drive has been up and running nonstop with no issues.  Static IP, sleep mode off, etc.  I have a couple recomendations and a theory…

…Okay, now to my theory… Once I finally got the drive up and running, I copied about 700GB worth of data, using a wired connection.  Music, movies, documents, everything.  This was a long process, but I took my time.  I noticed that the “content scan” never seemed to finish and was bogging down the drive.  I assumed because i just moved thousands and thousands of files to the drive that it would eventually catch up after a few hours.  Not the case.  It took many many days.  And throughout that time the drive would frequently disappear from the network.  I tried resetting, factory restoring, etc.  Nothing helped.  To get the drive back i’d have to unplug and plug back in.  Then it would be up for a few hours before losing it again.  So I got frustrated and just let it alone…

After about 4 days of this the drive just… works.  Content scan is finished.  Files are all there, accessible, and no more disconnecting.  I assume this content scan is cataloging the files for faster file sharing, and if you throw a billion files at it all at once, it will take a LONG time to complete.  And in the meantime, the drive will be slow and possibly unresponsive. 

Maybe one of the more expert networking guys on this forum can comment on this?  The content scan seems to be at the root of the problem, unless you have a hardware failure of course (in which case you need to ruse that warranty).  Does this have something to do with the IPv6 thing someone discussed?  I thought I saw someone else mention something about a stopping a windows background process that conflicted with the drive’s content scan, can’t seem to find that message now…

Good luck everyone!

You might be on to something since I too had disconnects after copying 700+ GB last thursday and now the last 2 days i have not had any disconnects. The only setting i did change was to put this NAS as a static IP of 192.168.1.2.  With a dual core scanning the media should not cause an unresponsive box, but for several days the light was blue but i could not connect without a reboot.  And now i can connect without issues.  But 2 days is short so we will see if it continues to connect.

When bought it disconnected 3 times overnight.

Applied ipv6 disable “patch” haven’t disconnected yet. 4 days so far.

Here’s some interesting tidbits.

I didn’t have it disconnect for a couple of days. The only change I did was turn off sleep, but I don’t think that’s the reason.

It could be because I had a process started that had files open on it, so that the network never timed out.

However, today I lost connection to it several times in a quick row. I have been able to verify that what triggers this was that I connected an external drive to it. It’s hard to say what happened, because even the crontab logging I set up fails. It doesn’t stop *completely*, it just doesn’t log very often or very much, often I get just a timestamp with a few minutes inbetween, but not output from the actual log processes.

The WDMyCloud *did* respond to pings though, so the network was not completely down. I didn’t try if it responded to pings before, so I don’t know if that is a difference or not.

I think what happens is that when I connect the external drive, the WDMyCloud start using upp all resources, including processor power and perhaps internal memory, in trying to analyze the drive.

I connected the drive so that I could copy the files over without using the network, as I assumed this would be faster. But the minute or two that I had to copy files after connecting the drive only copied a few files, the copying was not particularily fast at all.

regebro wrote:

I connected the drive so that I could copy the files over without using the network, as I assumed this would be faster. But the minute or two that I had to copy files after connecting the drive only copied a few files, the copying was not particularily fast at all.

Connecting a drive directly to the mycloud will not make a transfer quicker as the data has to transfer around the network to get to the nas and does not go directly. In fact if you connect the drive to the computer and transfer you may find it quicker.

I copied from the SSH command line with rsync. No network transfer were involved in that. However, it wasn’t faster. It was if anything slower than rsyncing over the Wifi.

“In fact if you connect the drive to the computer”

I don’t know what you mean.

So I disabled the ipv6 - will see how it will be.

But now i see “convert” command that is eating up to 99% of CPU. Dashboard shows “Idle” in Content Scan section. Is it OK?

Screenshot 2013-12-19 23.11.32.png

I added “net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6=1” to sysctl.conf then reboot and left on. Today’s morning it is unaccessible, again… 

Screenshot 2013-12-20 08.34.42.png

[UPDATE]

I updated firmware to the latest one [v03.01.04-139]. Started to monitor /var/log/wdmcserver.log and find out a lot of transcoder Errors. It seems that it has difficulties processing hi-res photos ex. panoramas

Dec 16 02:30:19 WDMyCloud wdmcserver: [6500:0x42095460] Error  IMConvert failed for ‘/shares/Public/Shared Pictures/JOBS/SysIQ/2013 WINTER (Dragobrat, snowboarding)/panorama1.jpg’

also it gives an error in case dicectories and files are non utf-8:

Dec 16 22:34:25 WDMyCloud wdmcserver: [6402:0x41e81460] Error IMConvert failed for ‘/shares/Public/Shared Pictures/TRIPS/UKRAINE/2011 SUMMER (я-.п¦п¦я¦пҐп¦, п¦п¦п¦я-я-п¦п+п¦п¦я¦ п¦п¦п¦пTя+п¦)/Panorama/Saltykovaya Devitsa left.jpg’
Dec 16 22:34:26 WDMyCloud wdmcserver: [6402:0x41e81460] Error IMConvert failed for ‘/shares/Public/Shared Pictures/TRIPS/UKRAINE/2011 SUMMER (я-.п¦п¦я¦пҐп¦, п¦п¦п¦я-я-п¦п+п¦п¦я¦ п¦п¦п¦пTя+п¦)/Panorama/Saltykovaya Devitsa.jpg’
Dec 16 22:35:23 WDMyCloud wdmcserver: [6402:0x41e81460] Error IMConvert failed for ‘/shares/Public/Shared Pictures/TRIPS/UKRAINE/2011 SUMMER (п=я-п¦п¦п¦п¦п¦ пҐп¦ п·п¦п+п¦п+пҐпҐп¦)/Panorama/п?п+я-п¦ пҐп¦ п+пЇп¦я-п¦ п¦ п·п¦п+п¦п+пҐпҐп¦.jpg’

another interesting thing from /var/log/kern.log:

Dec 20 10:03:43 WDMyCloud kernel: [4411.590627] Memory cgroup out of memory: Kill process 14543 (convert) score 978 or sacrifice child
Dec 20 10:03:43 WDMyCloud kernel: [4411.599638] Killed process 14543 (convert) total-vm:113656kB, anon-rss:81772kB, file-rss:668kB
Dec 20 10:03:43 WDMyCloud kernel: [4412.186012] convert invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0xd0, order=0, oom_adj=0, oom_score_adj=0

Dec 20 10:03:44 WDMyCloud kernel: [4412.618881] [pid] uid tgid total_vm rss cpu oom_adj oom_score_adj name
Dec 20 10:03:44 WDMyCloud kernel: [4412.626420] [14544] 0 14544 25891 20637 0 0 0 convert
Dec 20 10:03:44 WDMyCloud kernel: [4412.634148] Memory cgroup out of memory: Kill process 14544 (convert) score 980 or sacrifice child
Dec 20 10:03:44 WDMyCloud kernel: [4412.643176] Killed process 14544 (convert) total-vm:103564kB, anon-rss:81880kB, file-rss:668kB

and finally deamon.log

Dec 20 08:40:31 WDMyCloud afpd[5267]: AFP Server shutting down
Dec 20 08:40:31 WDMyCloud cnid_metad[5268]: shutting down on SIGTERM
Dec 20 08:40:32 WDMyCloud netatalk[5263]: Netatalk AFP server exiting
Dec 20 08:40:36 WDMyCloud rpc.mountd[5147]: Caught signal 15, un-registering and exiting.

can anyone from WD expand on the mentioned points?

Hello WD Mycloud unhappy users,

I have the same problem, more or less; my internet connection at home often fails (at least once a day) and after that happens I cannot access wd mycloud from the outside (pc in my work) or even from my own pc in the same network/router, at home.

Led stays steady blue, but no access to dashboard or folders thru windows explorer, although I can ping it thru cmd by ip… this is a situation that cannot happen to me, since i usally loose isp connection thru the day I’m condemned not ever accessing mycloud from exterior, and while at home always having to unplug/plug it??

Any more ideas about this? I’ve not tried to use static ip option but I think that will do nothing…?

Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem , so i replaced the network card and the problem is solved .

After disable ipv6, please unplug and plug to restart the device.  

So far, my box has been working for over 72 hours without problem.   

soaptrail wrote:

illiniwek wrote:

For novices like me…

So I originally reported several failures with my drive, including the familiar “drive disappearing from network”.  It’s been over 2 weeks now, and I can happily report that my drive has been up and running nonstop with no issues.  Static IP, sleep mode off, etc.  I have a couple recomendations and a theory…

…Okay, now to my theory… Once I finally got the drive up and running, I copied about 700GB worth of data, using a wired connection.  Music, movies, documents, everything.  This was a long process, but I took my time.  I noticed that the “content scan” never seemed to finish and was bogging down the drive.  I assumed because i just moved thousands and thousands of files to the drive that it would eventually catch up after a few hours.  Not the case.  It took many many days.  And throughout that time the drive would frequently disappear from the network.  I tried resetting, factory restoring, etc.  Nothing helped.  To get the drive back i’d have to unplug and plug back in.  Then it would be up for a few hours before losing it again.  So I got frustrated and just let it alone…

After about 4 days of this the drive just… works.  Content scan is finished.  Files are all there, accessible, and no more disconnecting.  I assume this content scan is cataloging the files for faster file sharing, and if you throw a billion files at it all at once, it will take a LONG time to complete.  And in the meantime, the drive will be slow and possibly unresponsive. 

Maybe one of the more expert networking guys on this forum can comment on this?  The content scan seems to be at the root of the problem, unless you have a hardware failure of course (in which case you need to ruse that warranty).  Does this have something to do with the IPv6 thing someone discussed?  I thought I saw someone else mention something about a stopping a windows background process that conflicted with the drive’s content scan, can’t seem to find that message now…

Good luck everyone!

You might be on to something since I too had disconnects after copying 700+ GB last thursday and now the last 2 days i have not had any disconnects. The only setting i did change was to put this NAS as a static IP of 192.168.1.2.  With a dual core scanning the media should not cause an unresponsive box, but for several days the light was blue but i could not connect without a reboot.  And now i can connect without issues.  But 2 days is short so we will see if it continues to connect.

3 days later and I still have not had it disconnect, so I think for my instance it had to do with twonky scanning the drive after copying an enormous amount of data.

I have tried almost all proposed solutions outlined in this thread. 

Nothing resolves the problem. MyCloud 3TB frequently disconnects itself from the network and enters “deep sleep”. IP v6 is off, Drive Sleep is off, it has a static IP, even content scan is reported as finished now.