My Cloud crashed, no help from WDC

heads up to WDC My Cloud NAS drive users or those thinking of purchasing one. I purchased a 3T My Cloud about a year ago for home use, to, obviously, back up my personal data, that includes photos, home budget files, expnese tracking things like that. Over the year, I’ve accumulated about 1.5T of data. Ran a scheduled backup on Labor Day, then the drive stopped working. I noticed it was stuck in a constant spin/read mode - always constantly chattering. Initially I thought it was crunching another backup (other users in the home through network), but I noticed red LED. WD Smartware indicated no readable partitiion and My Cloud Dashboard could not read the drive. I went through recommended reset, power reset procedures to no avail. Unplugged and let sit overnight. Next day, it spun up, was recognized by Dashboard, but Smartware could not communicate with drive, and eventually after drive spun and warmed up, gave red no readable partition error again. I chalk this up to crashed drive. Initiated WDC support ticket. Only support offered was link to paid data recovery services (that I pay for). No other restitution from WDC. I’m stuck. Fortunately, I believe in redundancy and my SEAGATE NAS drive (that has been going for two years now with no issues) has another parallel backup that I ran the same day. So… what are the chances I’ll buy another WDC drive… I’ll leave that as open ended. You fill in the blank. :slight_smile: Be warned.

So, exactly the same service provided by every other hard disk manufacturer. Go and ask Seagate if they offer data recovery under warranty.

No-one offers data recovery as a warranty service; that’s why backups are essential. Warranty only covers device replacement.

There are plenty of threads here about recovering data, and red light conditions; get searching. You may be lucky and find that your data is still there. You will need to dismantle and connect the HDD to a linux machine to access the ext4 file system.

1 Like

maybe so but the WDC CS rep didn’t even offer to replace the drive. And who buys a backup solution really expecting to lose their data within a year ? Fortunately I run two backup schemes - but, food for thought about the whole backing up thing and security.

and I don’t have a Linux machine to access the ext4 file system. I shouldn’t have to do this. Thanks though.

I’m confused. Did you expect WD to recover your data for free?

As far as I know NO consumer grade hard drive manufacturer or consumer grade NAS manufacturer will recover the data for free from a hard drive that crashed or is unreadable.

What you purchased was a network attached storage device (NAS), not a service plan that would cover lost data from that NAS. Did you read the end user license agreements / warranty for the My Cloud?

Its pretty much standard that if a hard drive or NAS dies the end user is responsible for either recovering the data themselves or paying to have the data recovered.

Did you use Safepoint or Backup to backup the My Cloud to another location or external USB hard drive? If so then you can quickly recover or access that backup data. If not, then lesson learned on your part, always have multiple backup vectors for important data.

If one isn’t concerned about the My Cloud warranty then one could pull the hard drive from the My Cloud and attach it to another PC, typically one running Linux since the My Cloud runs a flavor of Linux. From there one can attempt to recover their data from the hard drive or run Linux data recover programs on the hard drive to attempt data recovery.

If the My Cloud hard drive really has died one can replace the hard drive with another SATA hard drive of their choice and run one of the various “unbricking” procedures that can be found in this subforum by running a forum search via the magnifying glass icon upper right.

[quote=“mtcoop, post:3, topic:177498, full:true”]
maybe so but the WDC CS rep didn’t even offer to replace the drive. [/quote]
If your My Cloud is still under warrenty then start an RMA to have WD replace the drive under warranty. If the My Cloud is out of warranty then sorry to say, you will pay out of pocket which is STANDARD and has been pretty much for ever when it comes to hard drive failures.

Obviously no one expects a hard drive to fail. I’ve had hard drives last more than 5 years of continuous use, and I’ve had some that failed right out of the box. Its the nature of the beast so to speak. Its why one always (as you indicated) has multiple backup vectors for their most important data. Fact is nothing is fail proof, hard drives can and do fail.

WD specifically included the capability (such as it is) to backup the My Cloud to an external USB hard drive or to another local network location.

You don’t need a dedicated Linux machine. One can use a Linux Live CD to boot an existing computer to Linux and provided one attaches the My Cloud hard drive to that PC (using a external USB enclosure/docking station) or a spare SATA cable/port on that computer), one can recover the the user data from the My Cloud hard drive provided the drive is readable. Here is one popular Linux Live CD (Ubuntu) that can be burned to a DVD or USB flash drive: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

1 Like

Look, I’ve probably been on this earth a lot longer than you - it’s the principle of the matter. Companies are in business to make money and that is through sales to customers. Customers are individuals like you and I and businesses. WD markets the My Cloud to Joe Shmuck consumers like me in retail venues so how they support their products speaks to the company. Regarding RMA, I opened a support ticket through the WDC support site. What else am I supposed to do. The CS rep never mentioned or offered RMA to at least replace the defective drive. And why would I tear open a drive and troubleshoot and debug it myself. I build my own PCs, but I am not going to buy a retail hard drive and tear into myself. Again, its the principle of the matter. WDC should stand by their products. If one has to go through so many hoops to make a NAS solution work, it tells me it’s not the right NAS solution. Lesson learned. I’ll just buy a cloud account.

the geek in me is intrigued and may make for an interesting project. But doesn’t solve my issue with WDC standing by their product.

Look we are just trying to help you and inform you of how things are, and how they have been for more than 30 years. I could be snarky as you were, but that doesn’t change the fact that you have unrealistic expectations from WD and other hard drive manufacturers.

Must of us here are users just like you, we are not employees by WD and are here on our own time and expense trying to help others. If you are dissatisfied with the My Cloud then by all means go find another NAS drive that suits your needs. Just don’t be offended or shocked to find out they won’t recover your data for free if the drive fails just like WD doesn’t do.

Know or find out what the warranty conditions are on the things you buy, and, if they fail, demand that the retailer or manufacturer meets their warranty obligations.

You clearly did neither of these.

Frankly, you are making yourself look foolish.

1 Like

frankly, my dear, I don’t give a dang. I clearly did both of those. I started by opening a service ticket with WDC. I know waht the warranty is. I choose not to take the position of having to teach customer service representatives how to service customers. If they don’t know that, they lose my business. I vote with my wallet.

You didn’t seem too familiar with the warranty terms yesterday:

Anyway, now that you are familiar with WD’s warranty conditions, and how to start the RMA process, I’m sure you’ll have more success.