All the instructions show plug and play, so that’s a joke. It is a BRAND NEW out of box 12TB Elements. I plugged it in and 2 options for software come up. I installed the MAC software and that was successful but the drive is showing read-only and no other instructions are provided. I tried to drag something into the folder just to test and it won’t write. What is going on???
Please refer to the below article to check to reformat required for Mac OS Compatibility:
When your external drive or any storage drive shows up as “Read Only” on your mac, then you might be encountering a very common problem with the hard drive. In such a situation, the user can open and view the files on a drive but cannot copy or move files to the storage drive. The possible reasons for this issue could be:
- External drive is NTFS formatted
- Disk permission changed as “Read Only”
- External drive is corrupted
However, the issue can be fixed using below DIY methods:
- Reformat the external drive
- Change/Ignore permissions on an external drive
- Repair external drive with disk utility’s first aid
Hope this will help you fix the issue!