My BRAND NEW WD Elements is Read Only on MAC

All the instructions show plug and play, so that’s a joke. It is a BRAND NEW out of box 12TB Elements. I plugged it in and 2 options for software come up. I installed the MAC software and that was successful but the drive is showing read-only and no other instructions are provided. I tried to drag something into the folder just to test and it won’t write. What is going on???

1 Like

Hi @Coldpoutine,

Please refer to the below article to check to reformat required for Mac OS Compatibility:

When your external drive or any storage drive shows up as “Read Only” on your mac, then you might be encountering a very common problem with the hard drive. In such a situation, the user can open and view the files on a drive but cannot copy or move files to the storage drive. The possible reasons for this issue could be:

1. External drive is NTFS formatted
  2. Disk permission changed as “Read Only”
  3. External drive is corrupted

However, the issue can be fixed using below DIY methods:

1. Reformat the external drive
  2. Change/Ignore permissions on an external drive
  3. Repair external drive with disk utility’s first aid

Hope this will help you fix the issue!

I get a message that my Passport drive can not be reformatted !! This is a joke. No support! I just bought this brand new WD Passport external drive to back up my Mac and it says it’s read only. I tried reformatting it and it says it can not be reformatted. HELP ! This support forum has no answers and no response from WD. It also says in a message when you open the WD software that the produce “is not supported” !! Why are they selling products at full price that are supposedly new and not supported??? HELP

I am not a programmer and do not know who to change permissions on the drive. I tried step 1 and it says this drive can not be reformatted !! HELP.

that article is for the PC!! i have Passport for Mac !