My Book World Edition and OS X Lion (10.7) and Time Machine

I did manage to get the process working I linked to here

No compiling necessary, just install the two ipkg and move a few files around, and netatalk is updated to 2.2, and time machine with lion works!  Backing up right now :slight_smile:

cvknage wrote:

xocolate wrote:

oh yeah ?

On February 24, 2011, the first developer’s preview of Lion (11A390) was released to subscribers.

Today: August 2, 2011

half of year!!!  a lot of time to compile & test & qa & release new firmware.

WD - jut lazy **bleep** who sell unsupported devices.

Hmm… did you read any of the links I provided? The source for Netatalk 2.2.0 wasn’t released until July 23’rd, (if I remember correctly 3 days after the release of Lion) which is about one week ago. 

Also it seems like the MyBook Live users will have the update by tomorrow or so… ( Read this page)

Just be happy that WD still makes updates for a product then has two years on its back. Apple usually quit updating the iPhones around that time frame. 

For the record: The product is still being sold by WD - I would expect them to support it.

prisonnet wrote:

I did manage to get the process working I linked to here

No compiling necessary, just install the two ipkg and move a few files around, and netatalk is updated to 2.2, and time machine with lion works!  Backing up right now :slight_smile:

Hey! Wow! Thanks, that was a breeze to do, and I’m finally backing up again. Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

Well I read the fix but its slightly over my head I’m afraid.

I have only had a Mac for a few months now and I’m still getting to grips to how the OS works nevermind anything else. :wink:

I guess I’ll have to wait for WD to release the firmware update, my backups arent that critical, assuming my Macbook Pro doesnt go BANG…

I had to say it…

Here’s hoping for the firmware update soon then

Any word on a firmware update? Don’t like using my computer without backups. 

Guys, any updates today?

I am away on vacation from next Tuesday and would love to make a back-up before I go to be on the safe side!

Please advise.

Cheers,

Simon

Gentelmen … Any good news about new Firmware?

nothing so far :frowning:

I’m not bothered about this issue - I only post to offer my take on this.

Before I start I should mention that I don’t own one WD NAS device - but own 6 :slight_smile: 1 WD ShareSpace 8TB and 5 Mybookworld white light editions consisting of 2 MybookWorld 2TB, 2 MybookWorld 1TB, 1 MybookWorld 2 - 2TB RAID nas’.

I use OS X (ten) version 10.7 (lion) and have no problems to speak of.  The only problem I have (as you do) is with the AFP and using these devices as Time Machine backup devices.  What upset me the most was the fact that I was not made aware of the issue before I upgraded to Lion, I don’t care who should have done it - either Apple or Western Digital, perhaps both but either way it was a cockup.

My solution was simple, I already had an Airport Extreme, so I bought a Seagate GOFLEX 250GB drive for 30 quid (sorry WD) but the shop did not have any WD USB drives.  Plugged in to the Airport Extreme it turned it into a usable Time Machine device (much quicker backups as a result) plus I no longer get ‘Time Machine Failed Errors’ which I did get with the NAS solution.

Now AFP - simple I turned it off, and I simply mount the device with the GO > Connect to server, all permissions work as should, just as fast. Sure the bonjour side panel did not work for the devices but after I mount the drives all 5 MBW’s are all there and working fine.  SO SMB is the way to go !!!
If I could find a way of auto mounting my drives at log-on I’ll be 100% happy.  As you have guessed I am happy with my NAS’ I just wont ever upgrade the Firmware on my ShareSpace because the last time I did it screwed the System up and I had to set a replacement - I lost DATA and that upset me a bunch.

Just to add - this is not WD’s fault - its Apples they changed the system and it affects just about all the NAS’s out there.

I’d be happy to help you out if you like.  It really isn’t as difficult as it sounds :slight_smile:

Am I the only one who does not want to mess with a system that I cannot restore if anything goes wrong? Still waiting for the Firmware update.

You actually can restore it if you need to.  Besides the fix really can’t make your system unusable, even if it doesn’t work restoring the WD firmware will erase any changes the fix made.

I’m in the same maind as you and prefer to wait for a firmware release.

I don’t want to mess my machine up so will gladly wait.

Regards 

^ If you could extend that offer to me that would be great?

I desperatly need to access my old back up to rescue some photos!

Super… They launched a firmware update for the MyBook Live… 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfmb_live

But nothing yet for MyBook World. 

5feet7 wrote:

Super… They launched a firmware update for the MyBook Live… 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfmb_live

But nothing yet for MyBook World. 

I saw that on the day they released it… kind of bummed me out. Still waiting WD…

Prisonnet - if you were talking to me then that would be great, if your going to advise me to add the shares to login items - please be aware that it will only work for 1 nas, it wont work for all because they have the same share name and Lion gets confused.  OS X is rubbish with network drives (just my opinion).

Just sent you a message.  Would be happy to help.

Alright, what is taking SO long for a firmware upgrade?? I will NEVER and I mean NEVER purchase another WD product again, don’t care if it is free, will not do it. It is a shame that it is taken this long! Been using a USB drive for TM, but it **bleep** to have spent the $$ that I have in WD drives to have them not work. Also, not to mention how often the My book world whit light disconnects and the reboots.

ARUGH!! 

2 Likes

FYI:  If you still have ftp services running on your NAS, then you can connect to the MyBookWorld that way.  Just enter mybookworld.local as the URL in your FTP client.  You’ll need to include username and password as well.

A