My Book World Edition and OS X Lion (10.7) and Time Machine

Same problem here. Really really waiting for the firmware update! 

At least I’m glad to see it’s a problem with the new OS.

First I thought my discs had crashed or become corrupted somehow.

Please, WD, please.  Hurry.

Me too. Please fix it ASAP otherwise you’re going to start losing future customers…

Dave

As has been said over and over again, we have a fix and we will release it as soon as possible.  Threatening us won’t move the process any faster.  And in case you didn’t know, we’re not the only ones dealing with this. 

Boy you sound like you work for them, They should have had this fixed (no excuess) You sound like one of my CO’s in Vietman.  At 61 years  old I get sick of all this sorry **bleep** excuses. Mine World (or not so World) is only 7 weeks old I am calling my credit card company and have them take off the charge, do all the time with crappy software and even App store ■■■■. 

We know that, but posting a comment on this forum keeps us up to date by mail. So when the fix comes out, a very desired mail will let us know right away!

@ droe900

I do work for them.  You don’t see my WD icon?  And, by the way, I wasn’t making any excuses.  I was just reporting the facts.  So, do whatever you think you gotta do.  On a side note, I barely missed Vietnam, but I had my house full of Marines from 29 Palms every weekend for years when I was a young teenager.  So, I can relate a little.

Look, Bill, you must understand that people are upset. Some are without backups, some can’t access their files or daily work. Me? I bought my disk three weeks ago. One week ago I installed Lion. 

If you, as you say, “have a fix”, explain what is taking time. Putting it on a server couldn’t take more than a minute.

fredrik9 wrote:

Look, Bill, you must understand that people are upset. Some are without backups, some can’t access their files or daily work. Me? I bought my disk three weeks ago. One week ago I installed Lion. 

If you, as you say, “have a fix”, explain what is taking time. Putting it on a server couldn’t take more than a minute.

I apologize if my directness makes it look like I don’t care.  But I thoroughly do understand that people are upset.  If I was using Lion, I would be myself.  We do have the fix, but it is not just a matter of throwing it on a server.  I’m sorry that that’s the case, but it should be out soon.  We will post it as soon as it is released.

2 Likes

@Bill, they are a bunch of whiny people huh? i have 3 laptops just incase stuff like this happens just find another computer and hook it up to that…geez! if you own a mac book im sure u have some other computer within 5 miles of you lol

I am effected by this to but like he said threatening them wont help anything. Be patient and it will come and you guys will still buy WD products so stop threatening. Seagate and the others are ■■■■, one little mess up and everybody jumps ship. 

P.S. Please release soon I need my music library for work lol

I’m sure I must be missing something here.   Today I have downloaded and installed the new firmware but the Time Machine can still not be accessed.   Would I be right in thinking that this is just a firmware update that was in the pipeline anyway but there will be another update sometime in August that will fix the Time Machine problem?   If this was the Time Machine update, why can I still not access my backups?

Since I am not seeing a firmware update, I’d go for the pipeline explanation. 

Seriously, how long is this gonna take? TM was the only reason for me to buy the My Book…

Folks, stop begging these idiots. 

Go to  http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/ and fix the problem.

and think next time when you buy WD products.

Hugs

1 Like

That workaround does not seem to fix time machine Backups. Still getting errors. That is the Problem.

THERE IS A FIX GO HERE AND READ THE **bleep** DIRECTIONS WORKED FOR ME! 

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15671577#15671577

gents, whene this issue gonna end !!!

i am really suffering to browes my files through Admin user … WD not allowed me to browes the files with registered user !! only guest user can browes with access-less on some files !!!

are WD team working on an update ?? it’s almost 12 days from Lion OS realsed and they are still not showing up !!!

you may say there is a workaround, but i prefer to use built in firmware functionality  

FYI, another broken user.

Normal access to My Book World Edition is fine, however, my Time Machine is busted. :cry:

Contemplating a usb solution temporarily.

http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.2/ReleaseNotes2.2.0.html

netatalk 2.2.0 released

• AFP 3.3 support (necessary for TimeMachine and Lion)

wd update your **bleep** asap.  

oh yeah ?

On February 24, 2011, the first developer’s preview of Lion (11A390) was released to subscribers.

Today: August 2, 2011

half of year!!!  a lot of time to compile & test & qa & release new firmware.

WD - jut lazy **bleep** who sell unsupported devices.

Since that guide is for MyBook Live (which uses Debian), it can’t really be applied to the MyBook World.  For the MBW you’d have to manually recompile glibc with threads just to build netatalk, which is a huge headache because of issues with glibc-ports for the ARM architecture.  And don’t get me started on trying to get nptl working (you have to recompile OpenSSL for that).  But if you want to install Debian on the MBW, that guide would be appropriate.  That’s probably overkill for something WD is working on fixing (eventually) anyway.