My Book World Edition and OS X Lion (10.7) and Time Machine

Please WD. Let us know what is going on.

I bought my World Edition a couple of weeks before Lion came out.

This is not good business. 

What is happening? A while ago someone from WD said on thread a fix was ready. 

I agree with fredrik9 and many others. I’ve waited patiently for a firmware update - and there has been very little communication from WD.

I am beginning to doubt that WD are actually going to release a fix at all. Perhaps revenues for this product are low. Perhaps the work is at the bottom of long list of other priorities. So, WD please provide an approximate ETA for a fix so that your ‘valued’ customers can decide what to do.

Right now, I’m thinking that I just give up, buy another drive and never darken WD’s doors again.

1 Like

I was previously commenting on the “Live” thread about this issue. A WD poster let us know there that a fix for the World Edition (White Light) was expected by the end of August. I sure hope my computer runs smoothly between now and then. 

Interestingly the WD feedback on that thread was much more frenquent.

Well, this was the last time I bought any product from WD.

Delay for a fix is ok, as long as they’re working hard on it. But not answering questions from customers who spend hundreds or even thousand of dollars on their products. That’s very far from being ok.

No, thank you. And I will take any opportunity I get to advice people against WD products.

I think the truth is they’re not even working on a fix. I think they don’t have the decency to give support for products they plan to phase out.

how long is lion out now? this upgrade strategy is not from a serious vendor, this was a short experience with WD products, next time I will go for another product.

I tried the script from yagi_ for being able to backup temporarily while waiting for the official FW update from WE

Ok, everyone. I get it. You’re frustrated – like me. And you want the fix, and in most cases you need the fix as soon as possible. And WD could have handled the communication much, much better. I agree. WD _ are _ working on a fix to this issue, and they are testing it well to ensure that once they put it out, they will not have to patch it days later. And I know this gives little comfort to some. 

But seriously, Chill.

It will be ready when it’s ready to be confidently used by WD’s customers and not a minute later and not a minute earlier.

Let the flames begin, but remember, I seriously share your pain and frustration on this issue. (And no, I’m not a WD employee, affiliate, associate, or whatever! I’m just a customer who knows very well first-hand what it’s like to have customers waiting on one’s software development efforts!)

still no firmware update… that’s not serious… and a shame…

1 Like

All we are asking for is just ONE posting on this thread from WD to confirm that a fix is being developed and to provide an ETA for it’s availability. We have nothing. Other products have been fixed - but this does not guarantee a fix for this one.

I understand that organisations such as WD may need to take some tough decisions in terms of fixing an old product or developing new ones. If WD were to say that they are not going to make a fix  then sure I would be annoyed - but at least I could make alternative plans.

The current radio silence is not the way to run a customer service operation. For me and probably many other customers WD may have left it too late to recover their credibility.

1 Like

WD are you sleeping? YOUR CUSTOMERS need an update! NOW! And yes, i still think you are … let me say “not the fastest cats on earth”. The new OS was announced, developer versions could be found on every street corner and you did nothing but fold your hands and wait for a third party to deliver the problem solver???

Wake up!

And WHY could other companys provide the full lion compatibility right from the official launch of the OS? Are they a little bit smarter? Are they professionals? I would be big fun for me, to go to the big warehouses and ask for lion/tm compatible NAS drives, telling all the salesman that WD is still behind the moon.

There ia an official answer:
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7081

@nilsnils @j9woo:  a WD support representative has posted numerous times in this thread to say that a fix is “in the works.”  Now I’m not defending the length of time it’s taking for them to release an official firmware update, but at least: 1) they told us they’re working on it and 2) there’s a 100% working “unofficial” update that really can’t be any simpler to install, thanks to yagi.

Could you link to yagi’s script?  I can’t seem to find it in the thread.

I’ve tried several variations of this  this but I haven’t been able to get it to work… 

If some-one has moved it to a script (that I can’t mess up), that would be great…

here you go…

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/netatalk2-2-on-whitelight

I Have a very simple fix to access your files you can get into your hard drive but it still wont work with time machine so no backup but atleast you can get your files.

Heres What You Do

1.From the top bar  Click the “Go” Tab

2.Click on “Connect To Server on the very Bottom”

3.for The Server Address type :     smb:// Your Drives name    and hit connect

for example if your external hard drives name was “my files”

you would type smb://myfiles in the server address slot

hope it helps you guys

I am attempting to follow this link to repair my MyBookWorld White Light edition.  I am a novice at using the Mac Terminal.  How do you log in to the MBW drive from the terminal?  The directions said something about logging in as “root” then using password welc0me.  I do not know which commands to use to do this.

I assume you already enabled SSH on the mybook world?  Assuming you did…> Open terminal and type “ssh root@mybookworld.local” (without the " "'s)> When it asked for pasword “welc0me” (use ZERO instead of O)> Then, just copy and paste the script shown on Yagi’s site (both lines)> I did it about 2 hours ago and it works great so far.  You will have to read the questions that it asks carefully to make some choices, but I just went all-out and said yes to everything and so far so good.> * * *
garyham58 wrote:

I am attempting to follow this link to repair my MyBookWorld White Light edition.  I am a novice at using the Mac Terminal.  How do you log in to the MBW drive from the terminal?  The directions said something about logging in as “root” then using password welc0me.  I do not know which commands to use to do this.

Great! the ssh and wget automatic script is fabulous. Back to my timemachine…

Dear WD,

Could you let me know when an update for Lion OS X,  WD My Book Whilte LED,  will be out.  Lion has been out a while now and it is resonanble to expect WD would have this update sorted by now. If this delay goes on much longer I will have to replace my WD drives with another make to ensure my systems are backed up.

Many thanks

I followed the directions as closely as I could. I’m still having the same issuse.  I must be missing something somewhere.  This is the message I get after I tried to log on to TM.

“There was a problem connecting to the server 192.168.1.10”

“The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again”

I suppose I should mention that I am using this drive for both my MAC and 3 pc’s. The pc’s are working fine, it’s just the mac side that is not.  Both were working fine before the Lion install.

Thanks – yagi’s script to install netatalk2.2 worked great – I’m now backed-up with lion.

Also a security note for anyone installing yagi’s script that he doesn’t mention is make sure that AFTER you get it installed, you should DISABLE the ssh-acces (un-checking the box in the web-iterface).  One thing you do NOT want to do is leave root-access wide open via ssh, especially since the pasword is hard-coded to a specific string.