My Book Studio Edition II no power, what are my options?

Hi,

I have two My Book Studio Edition II each 2*1TB . I like the design and they are pretty quiet. Sadly though one seems to have a power issue on the inside. I tried swapping the power cable since I thought that would be the issue but the other drive starts up without an issue. 

The drive isn’t that old but I am worried about the data. Of course it’s a drive of which there is no backup. I know I know. It was a conscious decision at the time and now I have to figure out what to do.

I would like to have someone (preferably WD) look at the drive and most likely replace something with the power on the inside. Is this an option, can this be done? How much would I roughly have to expect? Crucial with this option is that they keep the drives with the data.

Option II: Can I open the drives and connect them in another enclosure? I also have read about a cable which has most connection options so that I could retrieve the data and move to a new drive. 

An important part of these questions is that I comined the drives to create one large drive. This probably was stupid and might create problems?

Option III: Can I open my other My Book Studio Edition II take out those drives, put in the drives from the broken enclosure, copy the data and then put it the orignal disks.

Are there other options/ideas? FYI I’m not the most handy person in the world. I have taken out HDs from computers and put them in external enclosures. Installed a fan kit on a g4 tower and upgraded ram on a couple of mac systems over the last 15 years.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,

Phillyman

phillyman, maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Regards,