My Book encrypted files

Can i recover the data on my external HD my book, which is encrypted, without the case???

If the encryption was done in hardware by the bridge IC inside the enclosure (as is the case for current My Book Essentials models), then the answer is no.

thanx for your reply.

do i have to activate this encryption or its default???

if i get a different case, same specifications, model etc… can i replace the drive??

the model of my case is ’ Western Digital My Book Essential 2 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive"

WDBACW0020HBK-NESN

Your data will be encrypted by default, whether or not you have set a password. Users have reported that they were able to recover their data by using a compatible replacement enclosure, so you may be lucky.

If you still have the original board, even if it is faulty, then this will make the job a lot easier.

I too am in a situation where I am trying to recover the data on my 3TB mybook live.  I pulled the drive from the case and connected it to a SATA-USB adaptor cable, but the SATA light on the adaptor would not light. Upon powering up with the adaptor, the drive spins for a couple of minutes then powers down on it’s own.  It did the same in the case.

Does the adaptor not “see” the drive (noted by it’s SATA light) because the data is encripted?  I actually have another mybook live new in the box; I COULD put the drive into that new case, but I am not enthusiastic about taking apart a brand new unit!