MS wireless kb/mouse inactive when MyPassport plugged in

I have two systems as follows:
HP Desktop computer 32GB RAM AMD-A8 processor 1Tb WD SSD – WIN 10
-and-
HP Laptop computer 32GB RAM AMD Athlon 3150 1TB WD SSD – WIN 11
I use the same monitor / Kb/mouse with both systems when at home, built in kb when out.
HP 27xw monitor
MS wireless keyboard / mouse, I also have a wireless TeckNet mouse normally used on the laptop.

I have two Passport 4TB drives; partitioned into 4 1TB logical drives.

If neither drive is plugged into either computer the mouse and keyboard work as expected, when either drive is plugged into either computer the keyboard becomes non-op and the mouse may just slow down or become non-op as well. Either drive in either computer causes the mouse/kb to come to a virtual standstill. Same thing happens with the TeckNet mouse.

The computers are up to date (according to Windows Update), drivers have been checked and are up to date.

Anyone have any ideas why I’m seeing what I’m seeing?

I have a similar issue. My wireless keyboard loses sometimes the connection after a while when I plug in my WD MyPasswort USB drive. This does not happen immediately. Unplugging an re-plugging the bluetooth USB dongle for the keyboard solves the issue for some time but eventually it returns. Keyboard and drive are not connected directly to my laptop but via a USB docking station which connects via USB 3.0 tp my laptop. There is nothing that can be done afaik. When I plug the drive directly to my laptop the problem does not occur (but this then only a USB2 port)