MKV file not recognised. So, convert it to another format?

I’ve used several WD Media Players over 6-7 years (currently WD TV Live) and I’m familiar with the occasional problems of files not being recognized.

My question isn’t about that, per se, but rather about a possible solution.

It’s this: Would converting the offending file allow it to be recognized? Like changing it from MKV to AVI or MP4?

Maybe the file is defective.

Maybe it’s H.265/HEVC or 4K or 10-Bit ? … provide a mediainfo output log

all of which the WDTV’s don’t, and will never support.

@zobrdroll

MKV, AVI and MP4 are “Containers” … if any of them contain the above mentioned Codecs or Resolution … then you need to do a complete Re-Encode of the file to meet the WDTV’s outdated specs.eg. H.264, 1080p Max, 8-Bit Only.

Thanks guys.
Mike27Oct: File defective? Don’t think so, it runs in Pot Player on the computer.

JoeySmyth: Good call, I knew WDTV didn’t like certain file types but wasn’t sure which ones. I’ve got MediaInfo somewhere in my archives - how do I use it to check the MKV file?

Re your remark about the re-encode, wouldn’t converting the file to say, MP4, do this?

example here …

depends on your definition of “converting” … if you mean re-muxing, re-packing or renaming then no, that doesn’t change the codecs, resolution or bits of the file.

only re-encoding the file from scratch, can fix any non supported attritbutes.

Oops, my bad :frowning:
I’ve just checked the file with Media Info so I could upload the file data, and there was nothing much there other than the filename and size. So I ran it again though Pot Player and was told that ‘there’s no video, pal!’

It must have got damaged during some recent file shifting.

So, sorry about the false alarm and thanks for the comments, very helpful. Next time I get a dud run on my WDTV, I’ll check it with Media Info.

PS: Anyone know where I might find BlueBloods7-E9?
Cheers
:blush: