Mapping Drives in XP - Will not recognise ID/Password

I have set up users and folders in the admin software, but now cannot access the drives in XP as it will not let me map the drive…  I can log into the software fine, so I assume it is the user name? - I have tried a few - but it just fails each time…  I am not very impressed with this product so far.  It seems overly complicated for what is required, and fatally flawed.  If I just wanted to let the Public have my data - then no problem - I can use the public drive which is non-removable… - Is this the intention of the device? - Or is there a capability to create nested private mapable folders?

Thanks!

Rev.F wrote:

I have set up users and folders in the admin software, but now cannot access the drives in XP as it will not let me map the drive…  I can log into the software fine, so I assume it is the user name? - I have tried a few - but it just fails each time…  I am not very impressed with this product so far.  It seems overly complicated for what is required, and fatally flawed.  If I just wanted to let the Public have my data - then no problem - I can use the public drive which is non-removable… - Is this the intention of the device? - Or is there a capability to create nested private mapable folders?

Thanks!

If you have problems with this drive, you’ll have problems with all NAS drives as they all handle authentication the same way.

This NAS is actually “entry level.”  It’s not complicated at all, relatively speaking.  

Yes, any folder within a share is separtely mapable.   But the credentials belong to the SHARE, not the FOLDER.   So all folders within the share would have the same credentials.

What error is your PC giving you when trying to connect to private shares?

Thanks for your reply.

It doesn’t give any error message. - It just hangs until I hit cancel. 
There are many ways to try to attach the network drive, either through the menu in Explorer, or clicking on the visible drive under my Network places, or by using the WD link software. 
However they all seem to say that I do not know my password (or ID possibly.)  Yet I can log into the WD software to change the settings and shares on the drive. - I don’t know what ID and password it may be asking for other than the one I use to access the drive software.  
I have tried removing the password but this doesn’t help either. It still will not let me access the shares I have created.

XP still asks for a password to access the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Your custom shares will be under “admin” account by default. The password for the “admin” account is the password you use to access the GUI for the drive.

As youve set up remote access, then you must know the password as you cant do anything in the backend of the MBL without the drive password. 

When XP asks you for the username/password, simply enter the username as “admin” and enter your device password as the password. If it doesnt, then if my memory serves me correctly, there is an option when mapping drives in XP to login using different credentials. Click this button and enter the username & password as explained above. 

The “Public” share is only “public” on your Network, (ie anybody who can access your Wifi/LAN will have access to this folder). People from the outside world (on the internet) etc cannot access this folder. Your router will block all traffic to your MBL unless you set up specific rules on your router to allow it. 

You can set up an almost unlmited amount of “Private” shares (shares that will require any user to login with a username/password). See sections 8/9 in the User Manual here for information on Users/Shares.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

Sure - Understood (but thanks for the confirmation) that only people accessing my WiFi can see the Public drive.

Ideally though, I would like to prevent my wife, kids, and their friends from deleting my data! :open_mouth:

The Public drive doesn’t give this control, and the private drives do not work with PCs.  - They only seem to work through WD2Go on my phone. - This actually works well on Android, as it acceses the drive automatically without any further pw needed each time.  If only the product worked with PCs…

If I just use the product for mobile devices, then this also appears to exclude the TV from using DNLA directly, as it would need the PC " Samung AllShare" host to access it.  I need to do some more investigating of this, as I have not found a WD2go app on the Samsung site that the TV can access.

It seems to be a product of compromises which render it ultimatly flawed for overall use unfortunately. 
I would need to keep my old Belkin USB-NAS hub to restrict access to anything I don’t want on public view to anyone in the house, and just regard the WD NAS as a back-up for music/video for tablets/phones use, which I would update regularly to fix any effects of the people using it.

Ideally what I wanted was a NAS drive easily accessed by phones, tablets, PC’s, laptops, and the TV, with passworded access needed just the once to map it, and ideally the tools to restrict who could delete stuff.  Although the product appears to sell this, it doesn’t actually work well enough to provide it unfortunately. (Apart from on the Android phones/tablets where it works well.)

I wonder if this is something which could be fixed with a sw or fw update so it could work well with XP PC’s?

It would be good if they could put DW2Go on the Samsung app site for the TV’s also.

Also - How come private shares are limited to 60GB when viewed on the PC through WD2Go?   - That is a tiny amount for media a 3TB Drive and again renders the product flawed for use with anything apart from the Public drive…

A huge amount of people use “private” shares, including me. As far as im aware, the protocols used by the MBL work with ALL PC’s/Mac’s and even Linux.

I very much doubt there is an issue with compatibility with Windows XP, it might be there is an issue with your specific setup. The fact that the only way you can access the drive is through WD2Go.com is wrong, very wrong. 

Have you actually read the manual on how to set up users etc? This guide pretty much walks you through it. 

The issue you are seeding with the drive limited to 60GB is because of a known issue with WebDAV.  PLease see here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WebDAV-Primer-Microsoft-vs-WD-My-Book-Live-etc/m-p/576975#M23535

You’ll probably also notice that 60GB is the size of your C:? Is this correct?

Thanks for your reply.

Roughly same size - Yes.

Following the WebDAV link -

I tried the “net use” command in the cmd.exe box, but the system just said

“System error 1734 hass occurred”

“The array bounds are invalid”

I will try disabling the Webclient in Services, but I do not know what other effects this will have. - Maybe I can do this temporarily to map the drives.

your computer is probably connecting to the public share first, and then using those credentials when you attempt to contact the private folder.

At elast for now, disconnect any mapping to any public drives.  log off and log back in to windows, and then try to map to a private share. 

there is also a box to use alternate credentials when creating a map, you might want to check that so that mapping will always use specific user/pw, in case it mounts the public share first again.

You’re getting WebDAV connections because your PC’s Client Network is broken.

That’s also the reason for the “Array Out of Bounds” issue.

Here’s info from Microsoft Technet on the issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/xp-error-wshnetworkenumnetworkdrives-caused-by/28bc2814-319e-446d-97b4-fd164c4e4d9a

The context of that article is with respect to VBScript, but the same issue references exactly what you’re describing about five posts down with the “net use” error.

Most of the information revolves around a faulty Windows Update, specifically KB982802.