Share access

I’ve created an additional user for e.g,  External. I’ve created a share for this user called External_Media and given him full access rights to that share. Now, when I launch the MBL drive, I can see the public folder which I can obviously access ok and I can see  the new ‘External_Media’ folder. However, when I attempt to open it, it asks me for a UN and passwork (which is what I expected). If I use the ‘External’ username and the password I created for it, it fails. If I use the admin username and it’s password, it also fails. I’ve no idea why, can anyone help please ? I’ve tried deleting/recreating, rebootin etc… but no change. If I edit the ‘external’ username to not use a password, it still asks me for one. So I’m thinkning it’s an issue with my pc and not the MBL. I’m running xp

WINDOWS will only allow you to access a NAS with a SINGLE USER ID.

So if you’ve already accessed the PUBLIC share, it will not let you access the PRIVATE share because it has a different USER ID.

You must force windows to fully disconnect and discard the credentials for the MBL so that you can use a different one.

Open a CMD window in Windows and issue the command

net use * /delete

That will log you out of *ALL* NAS devices.

Now, Log into the PRIVATE share.

After that, the PUBLIC should still work.

1 Like

Thanks Tony :slight_smile:

I have had similar problems when the Public share was “mapped”. Once I removed the mapped drive I was able to access the private shares.

How did you remove the mapping drive to allow login to “private user”.  I swear I have tried everything.

Go to “My Computer” and look for the MBL. It will show up there, if it is mapped, and will have a drive letter.

Right click on it, and choose “Disconnect”. This will drop the mapping. After doing that log off or reboot, then try accessing your private share.