Locked myself out of ssh, is there a .deb I can use?

I was trying to enable a second user so I could disable root login, so of course I made a mistake in the sshd_config file and I am now locked out.

I tried to do a system only restore, after calling support and being told that this would replace sshd_config and other settings files in /etc.  I sort of got the impression the CS rep was just saying yes but not because he knew the answer. It did not work, anyway.

I saw a .deb file someone had created for another WD product, which was made to do exactly this.  Can I use the same .deb file on a MPW, or is there one made specifically for it, or, failing all else, how can I create one?

You can probably do the firmware recovery.

Power the device on.  Wait until it’s “Steady” – fully booted.

Hold BOTH buttons for ten seconds.   The unit will reboot – install an older version of firmware (including the config files) and come back up.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

You can probably do the firmware recovery.

Power the device on.  Wait until it’s “Steady” – fully booted.

Hold BOTH buttons for ten seconds.   The unit will reboot – install an older version of firmware (including the config files) and come back up.

Isn’t that the same as selecting ‘system only’ restore in the web admin page?  Because I tried that already, did not work.

Somebody created a .deb ‘firmware update’ file for another device. I am guessing It specifically and only writes over the ssh config files in /etc and nothing else, it does not touch the rest of the ‘firmware’.  If so, I should be able to use it or something similar to overwrite the one  I messed up with one exactly like the file from the factory.

Updating firmware fixed the problem.  It replaced /etc/sshd_config and reset root pwd to welc0me.  I was able to ssh into the MPW again.

Seems like everything else is unchanged, all the wifi settings, all of my data, nothing else is different or reset to default.  Seemed like a last ditch effort, but it did the trick without too much pain or effort.