Lip sync issues

Hi all,

When playing DVD5 folers (VIDEO_TS) I am facing lip sync issues. The movie has a lag of about half a second compared to the sound. This is not just with one movie, but with all. Remaster the movie before copying to the mediaplayer should not be a solution for this issue.

My setup:

WD TV Live hub Firmware 2.08.13  Connected to TV with HDMI 1.4 cable and to reveicer with Digital cable

LG LW4200

Onkyo SR505E (does not have lip sync feature)

I do not have this problem when watching movies via my blu-ray player. So the problem must be the WD TV live hub.

I’ve read that multiple messages about this issue, but unfortunately none with a clear solution for this problem.

Also a suggestion for a new feature was made in this topic:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware/Suggestion-For-Feature-Lip-Sync-Delay/td-p/170058

Is there any update if we can actually expect this in the near future? Or can anyone give me a good tip?

It can’t be true that we actually pay that much money for a media player which cannot sync sound and movie…

Kind regards

I’ve read issues regarding that with media OTHER than DVD media…

The new Live has an Audio Sync adjustment, but it’s not available for DVD media.  DVD media is just rock solid;  I have over 500 DVD rips (but they’re DVD9, not compressed to DVD5) and have never encountered an audio sync issue on any of them.

A half-second of delay is extreme…  My 1st guess is that the LG TV adds a substantial amount of delay, and the delay information made in the EDID data is beyond the Hub’s ability to compensate.  In fact, the maximum amount of delay that EDID can indicate is 500ms, or a half-second.

But if it’s ONLY affecting DVD media, that wouldn’t be the case; it would affect ALL media.

I would guess that the Lip Sync function will make it to the hub pretty soon, but again, it won’t help you since you’re using DVD media…

Remaster the movie before copying to the mediaplayer should not be a solution for this issue.

Well, that’s certainly a reasonable opinion, but if your rips are bad, then that MUST be the solution.

How did you make these rips?  And why did you compress them to DVD5 instead of leaving them as DVD9?

Hi Tony,

With DVD5 media, i mean a copy with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder. I did not make these rips myself. But I do not have this issue when playing from a DVD itself with the blu-ray player. Therefore I cannot imagine that the TV is the source of the problem.

The 0,5 second delay is a bit exaggerated, but it sure is noticeable when watching a movie.

“I would guess that the Lip Sync function will make it to the hub pretty soon, but again, it won’t help you since you’re using DVD media…”

Why won’t this function help? If its possible to delay the sound a fraction of a second, sound and movie will be in sync.

Why won’t this function help?

…because Lip Sync function is available for all media EXCEPT DVD.

If you didn’t make the rips yourself, then how do you know the problem is not the rips?   

You’re comparing a RIP of unknown origin to actual physical DVD media played on a hardware player.  That’s not just apples & oranges, it’s apples and … cumquats.

I would take a physical disk that you own and rip it with a free ripper such as AnyDVD or DVDFab and see what results you get with that.