iTunes Server Capabilities

Very exhaustive information about video and other capabilities of this unit and I’m satisfied that it can do everything I want in the video realm, but I’m hoping someone can help me with the iTunes Server part of this. Forgive me if the questions are newb-ish. I’ll try to explain.

1. How does the iTunes Server work? The way I assume it works is that I can have my iTunes library stored on the Hub, and can access songs, playlists, radio stations etc via the UI on the Hub. Is this assumption correct?

2. Since it’s called a Server, can I store my iTunes library (files, playlists, etc) on the Hub and then access it from other computers on my network via sharing?  Also, will it act on the Hub like it acts in iTunes (ie can browse music intelligently, not just in folders etc).  Does album art get displayed if it’s present in the mp3 tag?

3. If I keep my library on the Hub (using a drive letter, not home sharing) and control my library from my laptop, how does it work when downloading podcasts and adding new music to the library and then updating devices like iPods and iPhones? Would the podcasts and new music be downloaded directly to the Hub, and then when devices sync they’d be copied over the network, through the computer and then onto the device? Or am I way off?

4. If I have an AirPort Express set up in my home to stream my iTunes library wirelessly to speakers, can I stream it from the Hub to the speakers using the Apple Remote on my iPhone? Is there a way to enter that access code on the Hub that the Remote needs to validate the connection (know what I mean?)  Or would I always have to access the library through a computer, and then control the library through iTunes on the computer?

In a nutshell, there’s little documentation I can find on how the iTunes Server works and I want to know more. I want to know how best to incorporate my music collection throughout my house. I want to have access to my iTunes library through a combination of the Hub and Airport Express / Remote without leaving my computer on all the time.

Hope someone can help me understand this functionality. Thanks.

Hi I also need help with the same stuff anyone.?

Bueller?

1. How does the iTunes Server work? The way I assume it works is that I can have my iTunes library stored on the Hub, and can access songs, playlists, radio stations etc via the UI on the Hub. Is this assumption correct?

<<>>

1. Since it’s called a Server, can I store my iTunes library (files, playlists, etc) on the Hub and then access it from other computers on my network via sharing?

<<>>

Also, will it act on the Hub like it acts in iTunes (ie can browse music intelligently, not just in folders etc).

<<<YES w/caveats, can FILTER by album, artist, title, but don’t set your expectation to think that there’s a one-to-one map of all iTunes functionality in the WDTVLH.  Fair?>>>

Does album art get displayed if it’s present in the mp3 tag?

<<>>.

1. If I keep my library on the Hub (using a drive letter, not home sharing) and control my library from my laptop, how does it work when downloading podcasts and adding new music to the library and then updating devices like iPods and iPhones? Would the podcasts and new music be downloaded directly to the Hub, and then when devices sync they’d be copied over the network, through the computer and then onto the device? Or am I way off?

<<<No, you’re spot on.  Your iTunes doesn’t care if your library is local or remote.  Your Apple (et. al.) devices will continue to sync through iTunes and your WDTVLH will do what is referred to as “(Re)Compiling the library” to ensure your library - as seen through the WDTVLH UI -  is up to date.  A library on the WDTVLH is generally device and location agnostic; if you tell the WDTVLH about it (the device) and it’s got media on it then it’s in your library.  The Recompilation of the library is the source of much discussion on these boards, but the designers at WD choose good function/simplicity over the - at times - molasses like speed of recompilation depending on how big your media universe is.>>>

1. If I have an AirPort Express set up in my home to stream my iTunes library wirelessly to speakers, can I stream it from the Hub to the speakers using the Apple Remote on my iPhone? Is there a way to enter that access code on the Hub that the Remote needs to validate the connection (know what I mean?)  Or would I always have to access the library through a computer, and then control the library through iTunes on the computer?

<<<I do not know the answer to this question for certain, but I’m willing to guess no here.  I’ve been through every menu option/selection on the WDTVLH and didn’t see anything related to this.  Doesn’t mean I didn’t overlook it.  Looks like it’s time for me to sit back, hush and get educated here :slight_smile:  >>>

Cheers!!!

Jim

Regarding my non-specific answer of YES on question #1, I do not know about ‘radio stations’.  If this turns out not to be possible, please accept my apology for the inadvertent misinformation.

Cheers!!!

Jim

well… trying to add to the confusion :wink:

having the itunes library hosted on the hub is not the same as the itunes server function of the hub. If you create an itunes library and just move it on the hub, that’s just hosting your library there. The itunes server function means that the hub can present its own library to itunes on computer from the same network. what is the point of that I am not sure, so if anyone can shed any light I would appreciate it. 

When the Itunes server is enabled you will see the hub in itunes as a separate library. The hub’s name will appeare in itunes under “SHARED” and all the music in the hub’s library is available to play in itunes. 

The problem is that you can’t see album art and all views under the “view” menu are disabled - you can’t see the nice wall of album covers and forget about cover shuffle. You just see the list view. 

Probably it makes more sense just to move the music files and the itunes library on the hub, but, again, that is not what the itunes server functionality is about. If you don’t want to share the library with other computers you can move just the files so they are in a central location and add them to an itunes library that is stored locally (on the computer running itunes). 

Regarding airport express, unfortunately the itunes server does not do that - not on the hub or on any device that has an itunes server; I researched this extensively and it appears that only itunes itself is able to push music to airport express. that’s why you cannot have a computerless system if your final music playback device is the airport express. 

Hi All,

Lots of good info here, best I’ve found on this topic.

I’m still a little confused, and this is the one issue deciding if I will buy the WD TV Live Hub: 

I want to be able to use the Apple “Remote” program from my iPhone to control the library on the WDTVLH.  I found to do so, on the iPhone, I need to “Add an iTunes Library”.  It then gives me a 4 digit passcode I need to enter into iTunes on my ‘computer’ in order to control that library.

Is this functionality availble on the WDTVLH?  Can I enter that code to control my library w/ my iPhone?

Really appreciate any info.

Is this functionality availble on the WDTVLH?

No, it’s not.