Issues with Time Machine - new backup must be created

I don’t want to scream total victory yet but, admittedly, since redoing a full backup AND upgrading to 10.7.2, I seem to be holding out. It’s been three days and Time Machine is rolling smoothly.

I still have not encountered the problem.  I am also now on 10.7.2 as of Friday.  The only thing I am noticing is that my MacBook Air and iMac - (which are backing up to the Time Capsule) - begin the backup within 3 minutes of waking from sleep - yet the MacBook Pro - (which is backing up to the MyBook Live) - waits 20 to 30 minutes before beginning the backup after waking from sleep.  I don’t know if this is something with the MacBook Pro - or something with the MyBook Live.  I won’t know until I switch back to the Time Capsule.

I had this happen on my Lion MacBook Pro with a WD MyBook Live about 3 weeks ago.  I let it finish its new backup and hadn’t seen it again…until just now.  Its now doing the same thing again.  I’m running 10.7.2 with firmware MyBookLive 02.02.02-020 : Core F/W

Its not a space issue as I’m only using 244 GB out of 1.8 TB according to the MyBook live dashboard.  I don’t know what the deal is but its getting to be rather frustrating.  This NEVER happened using Snow Leopard…

I have only ever used the MyBook live on Mac’s that were already on Lion - 10.7.1 and 10.7.2.  I only tested the MyBook live Time Machine backup on my MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2010.  The time machine backup to the MyBook Live has always worked fine for the several weeks that I was testing it.  I never received the error indicating that it needed to start a new backup.  Normally I back these machines up to an Apple Time Capsule.

What I am noticing is that when I back up to the Apple Time Capsule (any of my Macs) - within 30 to 60 seconds after waking the Mac from sleep - a time machine backup will start (regardless of next backup time reported by the the time machine options.  For a MacBook Air/Pro running on battery - this is critical - as it guarantees that a backup is done before the Mac goes back to sleep.

When the MacBook Pro was backing up to the MyBook Live - after waking the Mac from sleep - the time machine backup would not start within 30 to 60 seconds (as it does with the Time Capsule).  It would often wait anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes before doing a new backup - usually before the expected time of next backup reported by the Time Machine options - however - it would regulary bypass that time and not backup for at least another hour after than.

In many cases (on battery specifically) my MacBook would go back to sleep - and many hours would pass before a backup would start on its own.  I belive this is a flaw of some sort - but can’t seem to understand why the Time Machine backup is differentiating between the Time Capsul and the MyBook Live - with regards to when the backup will begin after waking from sleep.

I will create a separate post for this.  I am now back to backing up the MacBook Pro on the Time Capsule - and the backup begins within 30-60 seconds after waking from sleep (or lifting the lid).

The MacBook Pro continues to backup within 30 to 60 seconds after waking from sleep or opening the lid - when the backup destination is a Time Capsule - consistent with the behavior on my MacBook Air and iMac when backing up to a Time Capsule.  The Time Machine backup is in-fact behaving differently when backing up to the MyBook Live.

I am also getting the error message, “Time Machine completed a verification of your backups. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.”  I backup my MacBook Pro wirelessly (except for the first backup) to a 2TB My Book Live and have been doing so for months without issue.  I got this message for the first time not long after I updated to the firmware fix for LIon (02.01.06-026).  I went ahead and just created at new copy of the backup.  Within a month, I was plagued with the same error.  That time I updated the firmware on my drive to 02.03.01-024 hoping to solve this problem
and did a full factory restore of the drive.  I created a new Time Machine backup hooked up directly to the drive via ethernet with subsequent backups over my wireless network.  That was back on Oct. 25th and everything seemed to be working fine until about 10:30 last night the same error message returned.  It’s only been a week!  I hooked the drive up directly to my computer via ethernet and I get the same message.  Smartware says drive condition and temperature are OK.  I am able to use Time Machine to successfully append the backup on secondary (WD) drive that I keep in my car. What is interesting to note separate from the above posts is that I am still running Mac OS 10.6.7.  I haven’t upgraded any of my other software (though I need to upgrade MS Office today).  This definitely seems to be a problem that traces back to the Snow Leopard firmware fix.  At any rate, I cannot trust this drive for backups until there is a fix.  I’ll have to switch to a different drive for now.

Also, since it was brought up in an earlier post I should note that my laptop is set to never sleep - I don’t why should it :wink:

Same issue here, I got this about 4 times since I installed Lion.

I’ve got a MyBook World with latest firmware installed.

At this point, it seems to be an incompatibility WD should consider and fix , since WD NAS are stated to be TM compatible.

After reading some of these posts a second time - I am seeing some references to “WD Smartware” - and references to drive temperatures being “OK”.  Can the people who are having the “Time Machine needs to create a new backup” error indicate here whether they have installed the WD Quick View on their Macs that are having this issue.  WD Smartware cannot be used on a Mac - and I am assuming that only the WD Quick View is being used - or the drive temperature is being checked from a Windows PC running WD Smartware/Quickview.

In any case - the WD Quick view caused the one Mac that I installed it on to become unstable and have issues with the Time Machine backup to my timecapsule - so I restored my Mac from the image backup that I made prior to installing WD Quick view.  Just wondering if WD Quick view is contributing to the “create a  new backup” error that this thread is addressing.  I don’t have WD Quick View installed and I don’t see this error on any of my 3 Lion Macs.

~Scott

I have exactley the same issue with this drive. I have contacted WD support and waiting for further support. I am considering asking for my money back. Screen shots of the error messages have been sent to support

+1

I seem to suffer this issue too

Im having the same with tim Machine backups

Mac 10.7.2

MyBookLive 02.10.09-124 : Core F/W

Had no problems on the version befor this update then now every 2-3 days fails the backup and wants to start again.

WD you need to fix this , as the update befre 20.10.09 was 100% ok for me, what have you broke@!!!

I’m having these issues also,  a backuo seems to last a week or two.   Then it shows as corrupted and I have to do a full backup and loose all the history.

Mac OS X 10.7.2  MyBookLive 02.10.09-124 : Core F/W

The TM backups have been very unreliabe since the upgrade to lion.

I have another clue to the theory that it is the FW 02.10.09-124 to blame:

Time Machine backup used to work perfectly for months with my MBA with Snow-Leopard and a previous MBL FW version. The I purchased a second Mac, now an iMac with Lion. Due to this I had to upgrade to FW 02.10.09-124. From that moment on, both Macs, even the MBA with Lion report this verification error message.

So from the MBA point of view there was no change but the FW version of the MBL.

WD should be able to narrow down this problem as it is quite obvious, and reproducible.

Does anybody know wheter WD is working on this?

Does anybody observe a slow down of the backup for large initial backups, starting fast, but getting slower and slower?

Richard - this thread was reporting the problem well prior to the 02.10.09-124 firmware upgrade.  I am not sure at what firmware version this thread started.

All of my Macs are on Lion 10.7.2 - and I have not ever had this particular problem, but I do notice the following behavior with the time Machine backups (and I have several MyBook Live drives - and the behavior is identical on all.

Basically - the Time Machine hourly backups will complete normally - if they run at least once daily.  The TimeMachine backup seems to take an unusally long time to mount the drive when the backup start - well beyond the 15 or so seconds it normally takes for the drive to spin up fully from sleep.  However, if I add a lot of files to the mac such as installing new software or copying a huge folder of files onto the Mac - after about 10 minutes into the backup - the backup starts to slow to a crawl - almost appearing to come to a complete stop - and then seems to keep moving - but at a very slow pace.  On some occasions the backup simply stops and gets hung up.

The slowdown/stalling of the backup occurs mostly with a wireless connection - but also happens on a wired connection on occasion.  I have never been able to complete a full backup of any of my Macs - wirelessly - regardless of which of my three access points I choose to connect to - the behavior is the same.  I have Wireless N 5Ghz, Wireless N 2.4Ghz, and two 54G access points at 2.4GHz.

I do not see this behavior when I back up wirelessly to an Apple TimeCapsule.  There should not be a need to do a full backup via a wired vs wireless connection.  Depending on the type of wireless connection - the backup may complete much slower than via an ethernet cable - however - it should move along at a pace consistent with the type of wireless connection in use - and this does not appear to be happening.

I am sure that WD is working on this.

~Scott

If WD is working on it, they should announce it instead of wasting our time in a hard attempt in resolving the problem.  

I have a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air.  

MBP can create a new Time Machine backup in 26 hours over WiFi (too long) or 8 hours over Gigabit Ethernet.  So I can start at evening then grab and go the next morning.

MBA has WiFi and a USB Ethernet.  Creation of a new backup is so painfully slow!  I’m considering to do a new back up of the MBA onto a USB harddrive and connect the USB harddrive to the router which connects the MBL.  Disastrous and still impractical, because the new backup must be created EVERY OTHER DAY!

Tony, you said " It may have something to do with your wireless connection causing the issue. "  I cannot agree.

I moved from My Book World Edition (White Light) to My Book Live 3TB.  Other things being the same!  No such problem on MBW, but this problem happen on the third day after migration.  It happens on both MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

Three issues I suspect:

1.  The MBL energy saving.  Time Machine does backup every hour, but MBL sleeps only after a few minutes of no activity.  When TM starts backup, TM just return no available.

2.  Router.  In MacWorld UK ( http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/reviews/?reviewid=3316285&sw)) the backup speed is summit at 28 MB/s.  Mine was only 5 MB/s on Gigabit Ethernet.  I’m using Belkin Play Max.  Any settings problem, I can’t be sure.

3. OS X 10.7.2 Time Machine software problem.  Initial backup was created successfully but later failed in the verification process after a day or two.  During the day or two, there were hourly backups.  If they failed, I would be notified.  

I tried Wireless N 2.8 GHz and 5 GHz, 20/40 MHz on channels with +/- two without interference.  

Is WD working on the fix?

I am getting the same problem weekly with Lion using MBW Firnware 01.02.12 with MioNet 4.3.1.13. This is rendering the backups entirely useless. Is WD working on this? Do you need further information - log extracts for example - to help resolve? 

I’m having the same problems with my iMac and Lion. I suppose this is a bug in the Netatalk open-source implementation of the AppleTalk protocol. WD relies on this library and in the past often WD firmware updates were published when a new version of Netatalk has been released that fixed several TimeMachine-related issues (such as the general MacOSX Lion TimeMachine compatibility with your device).

@WD Staff: Do you use the most recent version of Netatalk for the current WD Live etc. firmwares? Or should we issue a bug in the Netatalk bug tracker for that? Or have you located the bug by yourself ? Many users are reporting this issue. Thanks, Sombrero

This thread is now 4 months old. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I find four months to be of geological proportions when it comes to modern day debugging. Clearly, we are not a priority or we are being considered marginal or even maybe irrational. The point is that there are evidently many expert users who are suffering the same issue. What is most lame is that many of us, perhaps most of us, bought this unit precisely because of its Time Machine claims. I for one would gladly accept a refund for the unit. It is sitting on the shelf, green light flashing, awaiting that fateful day when WD deems it useful to communicate their finding or, as an alternate, their inability to find the problem. Speak up WD, we’re listening.

Respectfully,

A mere client.