Issue with Blu-ray rip in .m4v format with latest firmware

I have a movie on my home server that I ripped to .m4v format using Handbrake. Before the latest firmware update I was able to play the file without any issues at all. As of this update I have issues playing the file. If I try to access it by selecting Media Server as the content source it will play. If I try to play the file by selecting Network Share as the content source it tells me that it is an unsupported format. However, if I change the extension of the file to .mp4 I can play it selecting either content sources. 

This file played perfectly fine before this firmware update. Clearly there is an issue with this firmware and I really don’t feel that I should have to go through my entire media library and change all the .m4v filenames to .mp4, so please don’t suggest that.

edit: I rolled back to the prev firmare(1.12.14) and it’s working fine.

I can only find the 1.11.14 and can’t find 1.12.14.  Can you post a link?  Thanks in Advance.

I’m having the same issue. Very very very annoying. About half my .m4v’s won’t play now, and it’s not isolated to blu-ray rips. Some DVD .m4v won’t play as well. All were playing fine before the update.

brestelj wrote:

I can only find the 1.11.14 and can’t find 1.12.14.  Can you post a link?  Thanks in Advance.

I had to be sneaky about it actually.

I rolled back to 1.11.14 using this guide

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

After that I was able to manipulate the download link on the page for the current firmware. I noticed that the filename in the download link was just “wdtvlivegen3_1.13.18.zip” so I figured that the download lik for the previous version of the software would just be different with the firmware version and voila was able to download it using this address:

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivegen3_1.12.14.zip

Note that in order to upgrade from 1.11.14 to 1.12.14 you will have to do it via USB and disconnect your WD TV Live from the internet otherwise it will only see the 1.13.18 version of the firmware.

That’s what I did…but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone that isn’t comfortable with using this methiod.

That makes a ton of sense.  Thanks for the instructions.  By the way, why wouldn’t they put this link on their list of old firmware?  Great product, but frustrating support.

brestelj wrote:

That makes a ton of sense.  Thanks for the instructions.  By the way, why wouldn’t they put this link on their list of old firmware?  Great product, but frustrating support.

It’ll be there…  It usually takes them a few days to update the rollback page after a firmware update is released.