Is new WD my passport 4TB smr drive?

Hi, all. I read several articles that the new WD my passport 4TB is smr drive. Is it true? If yes, I should wait till they release another product which is not smr type.

Hello,

At the moment, I don’t have that information available. Perhaps, you can try contacting WD support directly.

WD Contact info:

What is your aversion to SMR (shingled magnetic recording)? It is the newest way to pack lots of recording capacity in a smaller space. Seagate also makes SMR drives. That is how a small Passport can hold 4TB of data.

Anyway, I am confident that WD has well researched and tested SMR technology before coming out with drives with SMR. It also has a nice warranty, so take the plunge if you want 4TB in a small space.

Not a lot of articles about this yet, but I did find this one:

Yes, i read the article as well. Some people complained about its read/write speed. The same issue happened from Seagate backup plus 4TB. I noticed the smr technology is as if the magentic tape one. When i read it, i thought it sounds unworthy to buy for backup my all important files. I have bought wd only to backup, but i should consider about it this time. Of course, smr technology sounds good for archive backup, but i use them for real usage occasionally.

None of these portable drives have great read/write speed. Really best for archive. Most spin at 5400 rpm. If you want speed, get a desk model that runs at 7200 rpm.

i can 100% confirm the My Passport Ultra 4TB is indeed a SMR drive … and the Read / Write speeds are comparable to a conventional hard disk.