Is Dropbox supported or not?

I purchased a 6TB WD My Cloud EX2 to be used with Dropbox, in which I already have a large investment. I assumed since the My Cloud EX2 is supposed to look like a normal drive to OSX 10.9.4, this should be no problem. I installed it as a Plug & Play drive without any WD software. When I tried to use it with dropbox my brand new Mac Pro slowed down massively. (I pointed Dropbox to the Public share).

I installed all the WD software and tried again. Even worse things happened (see http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/Can-t-get-capacity-of-a-new-MD-My-Cloud-EX2-disk/td-p/794609).

The manual mentions some kind of mobile interface to Dropbox, but I’m working from desktops.

According to this mod message by Hamlet, remote backup is not supported.

So should I return my WD My Cloud EX2? Remote backup via Dropbox is a requirement here.

Thanks!

Hi tomcam, you can select Dropbox as a backup/restore destination using Smartware Pro. Using Smartware you can also backup the Dropbox local folder into the EX2. For more information follow the links below. 

How to create a backup to a Dropbox account using WD SmartWare Pro

How to backup the contents of a Dropbox account to an external hard drive using WD SmartWare Pro

Smartware File backup

1 Like