Incompatibility with OS 5.27.157 and RSYNC

Yesterday night I updated my WDMyCloud to 5.27.127…Everything went well, but when I intented to use RSYNC in daemon mode, it seems to be incompatible with Synology Hyperbackup or manual scripting because it reports RSYNC is not running in the server…it seems with this new version RSYNC was updated to version 3.2.3-4 and seems to be incompatible with Synology DSM7 latest OS.

Today I downgraded WDMyCloud to previous OS 5.26.300 and RSYNC running in daemon mode work again with my new Synology.-

I just checked, and rsync doesn’t report a proper version number, which means that WD messed with the code, then recompiled it.

rsync --version
rsync version FW_5.27.105-149-gbfc7d29a protocol version 31

Ths is how it should look.

rsync --version
rsync version 3.2.3 protocol version 31

Sure enough, a quick check of the GPL source code for My Cloud OS5 version 5.27.157 revealed that WD has indeed messed with the original rsync code, and screwed something up in the process.

• 0001-GZA-590-revise-the-rsync-original-behavior-to-wd-nas.patch
  • 0002-GZA-383-add-rsync-dump-size.patch
  • 0003_GZA-382-add-rsync-source-path-to-job-name-file.patch
  • 0004_GZA-378-fixed-progress-bar-issues.patch
  • 0005-GZA-380-increase-array-size.patch
  • 0006-GZA-381-fix-bug-for-du-command-path-with-special-character.patch
  • 0007-GZA-379-avoid-to-create-the-file-_un-in-the-remote-server.patch
  • 0008-GZA-377-fixed-backup-2nd-time-failed-issue.patch
  • 0009-GZA-376-set-timeout-in-rsync.patch

I am facing the same prolbem. Is there anything we can do about this? Can we reinstall properly rsync on our own?

I’m currently working with previous firmware. I think user Cerberus has a sort of work around for this.

It’s NOT a workaround, it’s an unmodified version of rsync taken directly from the Debian Bullseye repository, with a user interface to make it easy to use.

It’s possible, but only if you know what you’re doing, and detailed knowledge about My Cloud hardware is required.

There’s an app for that.

1 Like

I was testing a bit your Rsync Server app for OS5…but I don’t figure out the syntax I have to user from the other side. I use rsync -rav /volume1/homes/XXX/ORIGIN admin@192.168.1.9::shares/DESTINATION --password-file /volume1/NetBackup/rsync.pwd

How should I use it with your new app?.

You’ve done an interesting work, Cerberus

rsync(1) — rsync — Debian bullseye — Debian Manpages

1 Like

Excellent job Cerberus!. I could use HyperBackup to WDMyCloud using rsync protocol with your app Rsync Server!. You’ve done more than WD support!

Once again, Thank you!

I’m glad you find it useful.

All things considered, I’m actually surprised that there have been zero complaints about any of my apps, likely because I test them extensively prior to release.

It’s a lesson that WD Support never seemed to learn.