How do I back up a Synology-NAS to my WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra - with My Cloud OS5?

Since OS5 I have an issue to backup my Synology-NAS to the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra!

Before OS5 it worked perfectly with Synology’s Hyper Backup.

Username and password with:
ssh sshd@wd
cat /etc/rsyncd.secrets

Port Forwarding 873+22 is OK.

hi karia. i have the same problem. wd support said its an synology issue.
have you found a solution?

It seems like you’re facing issues with backing up your Synology NAS to the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra after upgrading to DSM 5 (DiskStation Manager 5). If you were using Hyper Backup before and it was working fine, but now you’re encountering problems, there are a few things you can check and troubleshoot:

1. Compatibility Issues: Ensure that the version of Hyper Backup on your Synology NAS is compatible with DSM 5. Check the Synology website or support forums for any updates or patches related to DSM 5 compatibility.
  2. Rsync Configuration on WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra: Double-check the rsync configuration on the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra. Ensure that the rsync daemon is running and configured correctly. Verify the content of the /etc/rsyncd.secrets file and make sure the username and password are accurate.

bashCopy code

ssh sshd@wd
cat /etc/rsyncd.secrets
  1. Firewall Settings: Confirm that there are no firewall settings on either the Synology NAS or the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra that could be blocking the backup process. Check the firewall settings in DSM 5 on your Synology NAS and any security settings on the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra.
  2. SSH Connection: Ensure that SSH is properly configured on both devices. You’ve mentioned that port forwarding for SSH (port 22) is okay, but verify that you can establish an SSH connection between the Synology NAS and the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra using the specified credentials.

bashCopy code

ssh sshd@wd
  1. Logs and Error Messages: Check the logs on both the Synology NAS and the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra for any error messages or warnings related to the backup process. The logs can provide valuable information about what might be going wrong.
  2. Update Firmware/Software: Ensure that both the Synology NAS and the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra have the latest firmware/software updates installed. Sometimes, compatibility issues are resolved with newer releases.
  3. Alternative Backup Solutions: If the issue persists, consider using alternative backup solutions or tools that are compatible with DSM 5. You might explore other backup methods or third-party applications that work well with both your Synology NAS and the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra.

If the problem persists after checking these aspects, you may want to reach out to the support forums for both Synology and WD My Cloud for more specific assistance or consult their official documentation for DSM 5 compatibility and troubleshooting tips.

If you’re using RSYNC in Dameon mode on WDMyCloud, go back to version 5.26.300 because version 5.27.157 is full of errors, one particularly with RSYNC version.

I own DS 720+ with DSM 7.2.1 and I can connect locally to my old WDMyCloud OS5 (gen2) with Hyperbackup