[HowTo] Airport Express + MyCloud + remote access via Finder [Mac OS X]

Hi guys,

I am looking for an answer in many threads and forums but without any good result.

Basically I want to have the connection from my university to my MyCloud at my home. Airport Express is the router. Let’s say, I have IP (from provider) 1.2.3.4.

I went to set up in MyCloud the HTTP as port 80, and HTTPS as port 443.

I went to Airport Express and made:

Router Mode: DHCP and NAT

[DHCP Reservations]
Reserved Adress by: MAC Adress
MAC Adress: adress from wdmycloud.local
IPv4 Adress: let’s say 10.0.1.2

[Port settings]
Public IDP Ports: 80,443
Private IP Adress: (the one from above: 10.0.1.2)
Private IDP Ports: 80,443

So I am going to Finder and I am trying Go → Connect to server…, and I am typing: afp://1.2.3.4. and Finder canot connect. What am I missing?

PS. Because I am a noob in the network matter, please use words for describing the solution like you were talking to a baby :smiley:

FYI. Your title is a bit misleading. Normally when someone puts something in brackets like [HowTo] it means their post is a how to do something. Not a post that simply asks questions on how to do something.

Officially without using the; WD apps/software, or the MyCloud.com web portal, FTP, or using a link generated by one of the WD apps/software, it is not possible to officially create a remote connection to the single bay My Cloud.

Unofficially, and which may/will void the My Cloud warranty, there are several methods to create a remote connection to the My Cloud, all of them involve using SSH to modify or edit the My Cloud firmware to allow remote access connections. Do a form search using terms like: “remote access”

Here is one such unofficial method of remote access that allows one to remote map a Share which would then allow one to stream, limited by the upload speed of the My Cloud broadband connection, media at a remote location.

https://community.wd.com/t/app-clouddavmod-v1-0-for-firmware-v4-05-2016/161543

Oh, I am so sorry, I didn’t know about the brackets system - thank you for your information :).

Wait, by why forwarding port is illegal? It is just the same as working in the company with two different networks.

Who said port forwarding was illegal?

The issue is the My Cloud is limited (officially) on how it can be accessed remotely. For example, the My Cloud will typically reject web browsing requests to the Dashboard from outside the local network. The problem you are experiencing is the My Cloud is rejecting the (unencrypted) mapping assignment your trying to make. WD officially removed the ability to remote map a drive (which is what you are trying to do) last year and has no plans to restore it.

As indicated above, unofficially there is a way to modify the My Cloud firmware to allow for remote drive mapping that will allow you to do what you want (map the My Cloud remotely).

Eh… :(. I don’t want to touch the firmware at all. I am happy with MyCloud but when I bought I really thought that I will be able to use it also remotely from the Finder. The reason for this is that I am usually working with files that are using other files around in the same time…

If you step back and look at how you were trying to access the My Cloud remotely using the Mac Finder you’d realize that your My Cloud, if it was configured to allow that type of remote access, would be wide open for anyone and everyone to access.

Hence the reason why remote access to the My Cloud is officially locked down and uses encryption through the various WD apps/software/web portal. You could use FTP by enabling the FTP option through the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Network. However, FTP is NOT a secure service.

Installing the CloudDAVMod mentioned above is actually very easy and straight forward. One issues three or four lines of command using SSH and the CloudDAVMod installs automatically and explains how to access the My Cloud remotely both via a web browser and via mapping the My Cloud. Removing it is also just as easy, either update the firmware or run the command indicated in that thread to disable/remove CloudDAVMod.

But in this case, installing CloudDAVMod would make a risk that everyone could access it?

No. One would need to enter their My Cloud User name and password, just like they do with mapping a Private Share on the My Cloud locally, to access the CloudDAVMod web portal on the My Cloud and or when mapping a Share through the CloudDAVMod. From the CloudDAVMod help file:

For obvious security and safety reasons, only users with passwords are allowed to use CloudDAVMod or map network drives and users are not allowed to copy or modify the top parent level structures. The WebDAV permissions exclusively inherits from the existing accounts setup in the WD Dashboard. Folder contents in the top parent level, unless explicitly limited by permissions in the WD Dashboard, have read/write access to all users.

I just finally figured out how to do this for my MyCloud Mirror - might work same for you.

On a locally connected Mac, you need to bring up the Dashboard, then access Settings, and then Network and make sure AFP is turned on - Apple File Protocol.

Next you need to set up Port Forwarding on your router Airport Express to Port 548 - if you have other AFP servers on the same network, you can setup to have it map another address, like 8548 to 548.

Then you can connect remotely by using the Finder Connect to Server… command. You’ll need to know your IP address, so might want to use NoIP or similar DynamicDNS service to assign a nice domain name to your network like MyDevice.noip.com. If you setup to map the port, then you might connect with a Server Address like afp://MyDevice.noip.com:8548 and hit the + sign to save it to your Favorite Servers list for next time.