How to replace the Hard Drive in My Cloud 4.0TB

How to replace the Hard Drive in My Cloud 4.0TB. Can any new Hard Drive work?

Hello,

Replacing the internal drive of a WD My cloud is not supported and will void the warranty on it. If the drive failed you can get the My Cloud replaced.

How to get an RMA, (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty 

Edit: Thanks  TonyPh12345 for the correction.

If you have the EX2 then you can replace the internal drives. Check the post from  TonyPh12345 for the list of compatible drives.

Hold on a sec…  the EX2 does have changable hard drives.

So first, please configure you have an EX2, and not the “My Cloud NAS” which is a sealed chassis that’s not field replaceable.

If you do have an EX2, the compatible drive listing is here:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1180#tab9

Ok, I’ve already voided the warranty …

I think I read that when I bought it …

I’ll give you both points for that one …

Now, my question is, if I put in a new hd, will the nas re-install the OS on it? Or does the nas come with the OS installed on the hd ???

The answer will tell me if I need to buy a new nas or just a new hd…

The story behind all this …

I have a Sony DNS-323 which I voided that warranty by installing DNSMasq on it. But I didn’t brick the nas.

I have my cloud, which by the way, really is faster. I bricked that one by doing an update, then upgrade. My goal was to install FOG, but I never made it that far. It’s a 4TB with almost 1/2 used. So, I’d like to mount that drive as a secondary and copy the stuff from it - to either a new nas or new hd DEPENDING on the answer to the question above.

Thanks for any answer or light any one can shed…

Aunt Elsie

The OS is on the drive.

Depending on how badly bricked it is, you might be able to do a firmware restore by holding the reset button in while plugging in the power, and holding the button for 40 seconds.

I considered doing the hard reset but questioned whether my stuff would be deleted?

elsiebuck - it’s unclear if you have the MyCloud EX2 or just the My Cloud product. Sounds like you have the My Cloud and not the My Cloud EX2. If so, then you are posting this and asking your questions in the wrong sub-forum…most of this forum is frequented by EX2 customers who probably don’t have the regular My Cloud product and asking some specifics about your product could possibly yield wrong answers as they may be answering for their EX2 which may or may not apply to the My Cloud regular product (EX2 and EX4 on the other hand share the same codebase so there will be a lot of overlap between those two products). But from the little I know and have seen from some threads in the My Cloud sub-forum, the My Cloud has a very different OS than what’s on the EX2.

As far as doing the hard reset (and it applies to EX2 - may or may not apply to the My Cloud regular), I was told by WD tech support that it won’t touch your data and will only re-install the OS. But you should confirm that with their tech support.

BTW, if you have the My Cloud EX2, then I know the OS at least for diskless model, which is what I have, comes with the firmware loaded onto the ROM of the chip and gets copied onto the drives once you plug in your drives. I suspect this to be true even for the EX2 models with pre-installed drives.

Cybernut1 wrote:

… Sounds like you have the My Cloud … asking your questions in the wrong sub-forum … I was told by WD tech support that it won’t touch your data and will only re-install the OS… the firmware loaded onto the ROM of the chip and gets copied onto the drives once you plug in your drives. I suspect this to be true even for the EX2 models with pre-installed drives.

This is what I originally thought, but didn’t know. And you’re right, I am obviously in the wrong sub. I only have one drive.

So, technically speaking, I should be able to just replace the drive and go…

However, I’m leaning toward adding a new nas to my configuration. And continue my goal / project with the voided warranty with this nas.

Thanks everyone for their input !

Aunt Elsie

similar problem, to a point, … but first (after reading) …

how do i tell what the drive format on the HDD for the mycloud WD30EFRX drive inside ???

already have a ticket for it, troubleshooting came to the conclusion the drive/unit needs to be replaced - not doing that without getting my data back

if it revokes warrenty, … so long as i get my data back, that’s important

Edit:

posting concern to more appropriate part of forum

Flear wrote:

similar problem, to a point, … but first (after reading) …

how do i tell what the drive format on the HDD for the mycloud WD30EFRX drive inside ???

already have a ticket for it, troubleshooting came to the conclusion the drive/unit needs to be replaced - not doing that without getting my data back

if it revokes warrenty, … so long as i get my data back, that’s important

Edit:

posting concern to more appropriate part of forum

Flear - It is unclear what product you have - My Cloud or the EX2. If it’s not EX2, then you again have posted this in the wrong forum - despite me telling the SAME thing to the original poster…sigh, wish people read before posting in a thread!! Also, it’d have been really helpful if you started a new thread with your question instead of opening an old thread, to which you aren’t exactly contributing any useful info to the original poster…but have your own question, that merits its own thread.

Anyway,  to answer your question…on the EX2, the filesystem format used is ext4. If you are asking about My Cloud, please ask in the right sub forum ( http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/bd-p/mycloud ) by opening a new thread there.

For security concern I dont plan to send my device anywhere … so It should be doable from an existing disk after a backup of the stock firmware …

I’ve done this and tried to move parts to a spare disk but it fails to boot

I am an advanced GNU/Linux user and what to install debian from scratch on it …