Hard drive replacement

Hello,

I have been unable to write to my WD My Cloud 2TB since the last firmware update (v04.05.00-320). The issue is I am able to copy from it, just not to it. I have been in contact with WD over email and phone, checked My Cloud permissions and Windows settings and we have established that there is an issue with the drive itself. I am out of warranty so I’m looking for an alternative.

I do not want to wipe the drive as I need the files on there. Initially I’m going to try accessing the old drive in a SATA enclosure. I have read on the forum that I will need to install ExtFS for Windows by Paragon (link). We have Windows 7 and Windows 10 laptops.

Would I be able to buy a replacement WD 2TB Red NAS hard drive, insert it in the casing and use that on my network? If so, do I need to change any settings or would it work straight away?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,
Michaela

When you have the disk connected to your PC and have backed up your files. See if you can write to the disk. Your problem could be that the partition is mounted read only.

1 Like

Hiya,

Thanks for replying. That is what I’m going to try in the SATA enclosure. If it is now “read only”, how do I change it back? I have no idea how it would have changed initially!

If you still have the disk in the My Cloud. Can you SSH int the device? If you can
you can SSH into the device and check the mount status. Check the logs.

1 Like

Sorry, I should have said originally that I only know basics re: networking so please forgive my ignorance!

The disk is still in the My Cloud. If you can direct me to any SSH instructions specifically for a WD My Cloud then I’d really appreciate it.

You need to enable SSH in the dashboard. You need to download putty from https://www.putty.org/
When you run putty you need to use the IP address of the My Cloud. Click the ssh button.
You will get a login prompt. Enter root. Then it will ask for a password. Use your password. Or use welc0me which is the default password. You will then get a # prompt.
From here you can type mount. The /dev/sda4 should have a (rw) for read/write on a gen1. On a gen2 it will be /dev/sda2.
You can also enter dmesg -T. Look for any errors. You can enter grep Error /var/log/*
or grep error /var/log/*
What you do next depends on what errors are displayed.

1 Like

Thanks for the instructions, below are some screenshots.

Here it says the folders are RO:

After running dmesg -T, these errors stood out:

For grep error /var/log/* I got this repeatedly:

If you’d like to see the full log then let me know, I saved it to Word. Thank you for your help so far!

The md1 error has nothing to do with the data partition being mounted read only. The dynamicconfig.ini is a common error most people get. The real problem is the errors on sd4. It seems that the sd4 partition has a problem with at least one inode. The only thing I can think of trying is to unmount all of the sda4 partitions using the command umount /CacheVolume after you have unmounted all of the partitions you could run /usr/sbin/fsck.ext4 /dev/sda4
But before you do this I would backup any data you don’t want to lose.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. Just to check, on the first screenshot it does say the folders are RO (folder names: Public, Michaela, Matt, TimeMachineBackup and SmartWare). Is there a way to change this to RW or is that where I should do as you suggested and unmount it? Sorry for any confusion, this is still new to me :slight_smile:

And re: backing up first, I also asked - Could I buy a replacement WD 2TB NAS hard drive, put it in the original WD casing and use it on my network? Would I need to configure it somehow or would it work straight away, do you know (or anyone)? Because I would like to robocopy onto that new drive (or a different one).

The reason that they are ro is because of the inode problem. You should be able to connect a USB disk to the My Cloud and copy files over.

1 Like

I will try a USB, thanks.

Would I be able to recycle the My Cloud casing though and inset a new WD Red NAS drive?

Yes you can use the unbrick procedures posted on the forum.

1 Like

Brilliant, thank you so much for all of your help. I really appreciate it :blush:

Before you replace the disk. Run smartctl -a /dev/sda and post the results. It should show if the drive is getting errors.

1 Like

Here are the results:

I’m not an expert on the smartctl output. But it shows in the last image errors on the same LBA.
If someone else could comment on this output it would help.

1 Like