How to configure webdav?

Hello,

Does someone know how webdav works with EX2 ?

How should I connect to myCloud with WebDAV from the outside ?

Which adress ? with port ? with ending to a specific folder (ex : /Public) ?

Is it like " http://0.0.0.0:8080/Public" ? or " http://login.password@0.0.0.0:8080/Public" ?

I’m trying to connect ios iworks app to MyCloud with webdav protocol…

Regards,

You can connect to WebDAV using the following:

Via Finder, type in the IP address of the EX2 (see example below), followed by either 8080 or 4443 (Http or Https). If you want to access this outside of your network, you will need to open these ports up in your router.

http://2.66.69.2:8080/Public

Https://2.66.69.2:4443/Public

On Windows 7+

You have to install tools to support this, such as NetDrive. ( http://www.netdrive.net/)

Novice when it comes to configuring my router.

When you say open up port 8080, is that the same as port forwarding?  I have a ASUS router and have never configured port forwarding before.

I want to be able to access my EX2 NAS when working remotely.  For example, on my MBP, I’d like to use Aperture and access the Aperture photo library I have moved over to the NAS.  I’ve used WebDAV while back on my Windows PC and assuming I can do the same on my MBZP with the EX2.  I essentially want to mount the EX2 and be able access it through my local apps and Finder.

I talked to WD tech support and the person never heard of WebDAV and couldn’t provide me any more info.

Thanks.

DP

dypdyp wrote:

When you say open up port 8080, is that the same as port forwarding?  I have a ASUS router and have never configured port forwarding before.

I want to be able to access my EX2 NAS when working remotely.  For example, on my MBP, I’d like to use Aperture and access the Aperture photo library I have moved over to the NAS.  I’ve used WebDAV while back on my Windows PC and assuming I can do the same on my MBZP with the EX2.  I essentially want to mount the EX2 and be able access it through my local apps and Finder.

I talked to WD tech support and the person never heard of WebDAV and couldn’t provide me any more info.

Thanks.

DP

Yes, open up port 8080 = port forwarding.

You need to consult your router’s manual to see how to set up port forwarding. If the Asus router is not the first router in your home/office, then it gets a bit more complicated but still the same idea. The idea is that traffic from outside arrives on your router at a certain port - say port 8080. Now your router needs to know where to forward this traffic to - and that’s what you confgure in a port forwarding - telling the router that all data (usally on TCP) on port X should be forwarded to the internal IP of your EX2 on port X. It works best if you first setup a static IP for your EX2 (if you haven’t already done so) by giving it a a fixed IP from the DHCP IP range based on the MAC address of your EX2 (every network device has a unique and permanent MAC address). This way, when you setup the port forwarding rule, you know what IP to send the port forwarded traffice to. Google stuff if you need more info - we all learnt things that way.

You have a Mac so I am not sure what special limitations you may (or may not) face with WebDAV clients on Macs…but Windows has an issue with secure WebDAV. Just for your reference, though it is for acessing WebDAV securely (i.e. over an encrypted connection) using Windows’ built-in WebDAV client and not from a Mac, you can see this thread…probably won’t be of much use to you from a Mac →   http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/Secure-WEBDAV/m-p/764830

If this post answers your question, please click on the star under my username to the left of this post to give me a kudo.

1 Like

Cybernut1 wrote:

dypdyp wrote:

Thanks.

DP

Yes, open up port 8080 = port forwarding.

You need to consult your router’s manual to see how to set up port forwarding. If the Asus router is not the first router in your home/office, then it gets a bit more complicated but still the same idea. The idea is that traffic from outside arrives on your router at a certain port - say port 8080. Now your router needs to know where to forward this traffic to - and that’s what you confgure in a port forwarding - telling the router that all data (usally on TCP) on port X should be forwarded to the internal IP of your EX2 on port X. It works best if you first setup a static IP for your EX2 (if you haven’t already done so) by giving it a a fixed IP from the DHCP IP range based on the MAC address of your EX2 (every network device has a unique and permanent MAC address). This way, when you setup the port forwarding rule, you know what IP to send the port forwarded traffice to. Google stuff if you need more info - we all learnt things that way.

You have a Mac so I am not sure what special limitations you may (or may not) face with WebDAV clients on Macs…but Windows has an issue with secure WebDAV. Just for your reference, though it is for acessing WebDAV securely (i.e. over an encrypted connection) using Windows’ built-in WebDAV client and not from a Mac, you can see this thread…probably won’t be of much use to you from a Mac →   http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/Secure-WEBDAV/m-p/764830

If this post answers your question, please click on the star under my username to the left of this post to give me a kudo.

Still trying to get this working with my MBP.

My goal is to be able to mount the EX2 as a drive when away from my home network so I can access my files directly from my applications.  For example, I just moved my Aperture library from my local drive to EX2 which works fine at home but the photo library is inaccessible when I am away.  I have used WebDAV in the past with Windows as far as Win98 but open to other ways to make it seamless to access the EX2 away from home.

Here’s my set up:

I have a Verizon FIOS Actiontec router which is in my closet with Wireless turned-off.  

I have a ASUS RT-AC56U wireless router connected to the Verizon router acting as my main router.  

To the ASUS router, I have the EX2 attached.

Can anyone walk me through how to set up the EX2 so it can be accessed seamlessly when away from my home network?

Thank you!!!

dypdyp wrote:

Still trying to get this working with my MBP.

My goal is to be able to mount the EX2 as a drive when away from my home network so I can access my files directly from my applications.  For example, I just moved my Aperture library from my local drive to EX2 which works fine at home but the photo library is inaccessible when I am away.  I have used WebDAV in the past with Windows as far as Win98 but open to other ways to make it seamless to access the EX2 away from home.

Here’s my set up:

I have a Verizon FIOS Actiontec router which is in my closet with Wireless turned-off.  

I have a ASUS RT-AC56U wireless router connected to the Verizon router acting as my main router.  

To the ASUS router, I have the EX2 attached.

Can anyone walk me through how to set up the EX2 so it can be accessed seamlessly when away from my home network?

Thank you!!!

This doesn’t tell me certain things unfortunately - but fortunately my setup is very similar to yours - I too have a FiOS Actiontec router and then a second Netgear router attached to it. My EX2 is connected to the Netgear router.

What I don’t know is if your ASUS router is acting as a bridge or is acting as a router (ie. DHCP and NAT server)? How will you know - well, Google is always there for situations like these (and your ASUS router’s manual)…but since your setup is close to mine, I’ll help you a bit.

Depending on whether the ASUS is acting as a bridge or as a second router it will make the difference for the second step. But regardless of that, you need to setup port forwardng on the first router - as I already mentioned in my previous post. To do that log on to the Fios router’s web setup at http://192.168.1.1 - userid is admin - password is whatever you set it up as. From the login page look to lower left and click port forwarding - then setup the port forwarding rules. I think if you want just regular WebDAV, port 80 should be forwarded, not 8080 as told to you above.

But before you forward the port you’ll need to find out what the IP address of your ASUS router is as assigned by your FiOS router (i.e. Fios router forms the outer network and has it’s IP addresses in 192.168.1.x address space). So before you even go to port forwarding screen, go to the My Network tab from the different tabs on top (see pic below) and find out what the IP is for the router. In my case, it is the ONLY thing connected to the FiOS router - and since wireless is turned off - it is the only device there.

Also, note how my router is called NetgearRouter - this was not automatic. Even though I know the setup of my home network, it helps to give it an user-friendly name like ASUSRouter in your case. In order to do so, just click the link Rename this Device and give it an user-friendly name rather than some name based on the router’s model number.

Ok, once you are done jump back to Main page (first tab) and then go to Port Forwarding page. Once there, setup your port forwarded rule as follows - I have given the guided numbers in what order to proceed - obviously replace Asus router with where NetgearRouter is in the pic. Once you go through the steps 1 through 4 (see pic below) as labeled in the pic, final (5th) step is to click Apply.

At this point you have setup the port forwarding on your FiOS router - normally you should have consulted the FioS router’s PDF manual on how to do this - but I helped you out as I happened to have the same router as you. Now confirm that the port forwarding rule has been setup by looking at the entries on that page - it should have one just like the one in the pic below (IP may vary depending on your ASUS router’s IP assigned by your FiOS router - may or may not be same as the one in pic below).

Basically what you did above was setup a rule on your FiOS router to direct all data traffic to be sent to your Asus router anytime data arrives on port 80 of your FioS router. If you want to enable secure WebDAV (on port 443, you have to do the same thing but just change port number 80 in step 4 with 443.

Now, depending on how your ASUS router is setup it will vary. If it is setup like mine - as a second router with it’s own DHCP and NAT server and NOT as a mere bridge then the IP address on your EX2 will not begin with 192.168 (it could be 10.0.something.something or something else altogether and it is easily available from web dashboard → Settings → Network → Network Profile → IPv4 IP Address). Regardless of how the ASUS router is setup, you will have to setup a similar port forwarding rule on the ASUS router to go to your EX2’s IP on port 80. To find out how to do that, dig up the router’s PDF manual from the manufacturer’s support site and look for port forwarding instructions there - the user interface varies from router brand to router brand and even within same brands but the pieces of info to setup should be about the same as you did on your FiOS router - except this time you have to give it the EX2’s IP. Once that is done, what’ll happen is data arriving on port 80 on FiOS router gets sent to the ASUS router, which then forwards to the EX2. Now when you connect via a WebDAV client from your MBP, you will be connecting to your EX2 from outside on port 80 (or port 443 if you choose to use secure WebDAV connection).

How to setup the WebDAV client on a Mac should be searchable on Google.

Please click on the star under my username to the left of this post to give me a kudo if this post helps you - spent a lot of time writing this.

1 Like

I’m now trying to acces to my EX2 from at home with WebDAV.
I use this adress " https://192.168.0.27:443/Public" and the result is “The requested URL /Public was not found on this server”.

What could I do ?

*Bumb*

:neutral_face:

Following the above advice as best I could I now seem to have accidently solved the issue I had with not being able to access the dashbooard remotely.  However, I still can’t access any folders shared via WebDev (assuming addres should be [my.ip]:443/[shared folder name]).  I think the potential issue is that my router options are quite different from the instructions given above.  Please see attached screenshot for the options available to me.  I can specify source ports but not target ports - just an internal IP address they should be forwarded to.  

Edit: FIXED IT!  Port as stated earlier should actually be 8080 not 80.  If you have a router similar to mine just put start and end ports to 8080 and IP address set to local address for your NAS.  Also for anyone interested  http://www.directnet-drive.net/index.php is free software that lets you map your Webdav folder as a local drive.  NetDrive2 recommended above only have a 30 day free trial.

Just as an update - I was originally only able to get webdav to work through using third party software such as DirectNet Drive.  However, without changing any settings it started to intermittantly work through setting it up via windows file explorer - as in they would work for 2 minutes before losing connection and always failed to reconnect on restart.  This would only work locally with it absolutely refusing to connect remotely.  

WD Support (who to be fair were very nice) after a few email exchanges concluded that the issue was windows related and therefore nothing to do with them.  However, as a test I decided to setup webdav shares on my raspberry pi and surpirse surprise it works without issue and just tested connection to it from my office PC on my lunch break and again works perfectly fine.  So back to trying to figure out what’s wrong with the EX2 — or mounting the shares to the raspberry pi and then using it to setup the webdav folders *rolls eyes*.

i tried to configure but i not able to reslove it. i tried almost all the solution that mention here,But i failed,. Finally I visit netgear router support to fixed it.

Try using port 4443 and lower case when typing public, as in https://192.168.0.27:4443/public