How to access WDMCEX4100 (behind router) from the internet without WD Webclient?

Hi guys,

so I am desperate,confused and very angry right now.
I have got a WD MyCloud EX4100 device which has all my files I need for university on it. I do not want to use any web based Cloud-Service like OneDrive, Dropbox or the WD WebAccess to access my files.

So I thought since my NAS sits behind my router I can easily access it over the internet by typing “\routerpublicIP\mySharedFolder”. Haha nope. I even tried putting the local IP which is 192.168.178.27 for the NAS in between. Didn’t help either, what a surprise.

Then I tried to connect via VPN. So I got my client running, connection established, used “\192.168.178.27\mySharedFolder” and didn’t work. What do I have to type in?

I forwarded every imaginable port from my router to the NAS including 21, 22, 80, 443 and 445.

I even tried giving the NAS its own public IP (see how desperate I am?!) which didn’t work either.

So what [[EDITED - PROFANITY]] am I doing wrong? Is there something wrong with the way I type in the network share to Windows 10? What is the exact configuration I have to run when I have the following scenario:

I am sitting in the lecture hall of my university connected to their WiFi. I want to connect a network drive in Windows 10 which is my NAS which is sitting behind my router (with DDNS) at home?

I really want to have the NAS connected as a network drive to Windows and not transfer files via ftp or scp every time.

Thank you for helping I appreciate it. Feel free to ask and answer professionally because I am not a newbie (though I feel like one right now).

Greetings

Steve

FTP needs to be manually enabled before it can be used. It’s disabled by default.

http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=2680

Enable FTP but use SFTP and map it to your Windows as a drive letter. That way it act like a local drive. Or you can setup VPN to act like you are sitting at home.

Thank you for the reply but I have mapped it as a “drive letter” when I’m at home. It’s “\ xxx.xxx.xxx.xx\share” but logically that doesn’t work from outside even on a running VPN. So how would I have to mount that drive to gain access from far away when the NAS sits behind my router? FTP, SSH, Telnet, SMB every protocol I could think of is forwarded in my router and sent to the NAS. I have every single service the NAS’ web dashboard allows enabled. I bet there is something wrong with the way I try to mount the drive in Windows 10.

You can not remotely enable FTP access. You need to log into the unit’s Dashboard admin page.