How do I Power On the Drive after performing a Shut Down?

There is no physical power button on the drive so how do you power it back up after shutting it down through the console?  Do you have to physically unplug it and plug it back in?

I am also eager to know this. 

See my question here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/How-to-automate-shutdown-and-start-up-of-MyCloud/td-p/632259

GenXer wrote:

There is no physical power button on the drive so how do you power it back up after shutting it down through the console?  Do you have to physically unplug it and plug it back in?

Not necessarily.  As long as voltage goes away and comes back, that will restart it.

The console has an option to shutdown not startup or restart.  So the only way I can see that you can power it up again is to unplug the power cord and then plug it back in.  Of course, voltage will go away and come back because of this but it seems kind of primitive.

GenXer wrote:

The console has an option to shutdown not startup or restart. 

Well, uh, yeah, how would you expect it to even present the UI screen if there’s no power?

^ That’s a point :slight_smile:

It could have had something line a LAN wake-up or so. 

1 Like

And that’s the point.  There’s no LAN once the NAS is shutdown, so how do you suppose you would be able to wake on LAN.

Once the NAS is shutdown it’s completely shutdown so there is no way to communicate with it.

But they should have put a simple button on the back for “rebooting”… for both reboot and power up.

I guess it’s a matter of opinion, but, Why?   NASes are intended to be left on 24x7. 

Tinwarble wrote:

And that’s the point.  There’s no LAN once the NAS is shutdown, so how do you suppose you would be able to wake on LAN.

Once the NAS is shutdown it’s completely shutdown so there is no way to communicate with it.

It would have been possible, if the unit was desinged like that - the network interface can listen to the magic packet on a low power consuming mode, like how Wake-on-LAN starts-up a computer.

Since a MyCloud device that’s shut down still has the power adapter connected to it, all it needs is such a soft wake mechanism… I wouldn’t mind if the network interface consumes like 2W or so, while listening to the wake-up packet.

GenXer wrote:

The console has an option to shutdown not startup or restart.   So the only way I can see that you can power it up again is to unplug the power cord and then plug it back in.  Of course, voltage will go away and come back because of this but it seems kind of primitive.

there is a reboot option in utilities-devices maintenance.

An S5 state will be perfect in this device but we get what we paid…:smiley:

All the serious problems out there and this stupid concern gets so much attention.  So who cares that you selected shutdown rather tha restart.  Big deal

This is a user to user forum and people can discuss what they want.

I note that you consider your backup problem to be so big that you have made multiple posts about it, not good forum ediquette.

Thanks for the advice