How to automate shutdown and start-up of MyCloud?

I am soon going to place my WD MyCloud device in an area where there can be power outages often.

Will hook this up with a SmartUPS anyway,  but I would like to know what method(s) are available to trigger a shutdown of MyCloud when the power is out and the UPS reaches low battery.

When the power is back on, it needs to be stated up again. I know the it will automatically start-up when voltage appears on the adapter’s output after an outage but is there any other way to power on this device which is already connected to a live adapter?

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Sorry mate,

At the moment we don’t have any information about a utility that allows you to set that automatic.

But is it not possible to shutdown or restart via SSH?

Yes, you can shut down via SSH, but once it’s shut down, it’s offline.  So SSH won’t work.

I guess I’ll look for a cheap, programmable PDU to power this :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for the inputs!

I don’t think its a bright idea, since you force power OFF and back on again all the time, sooner or later you will brick your drive this way.

Shutdown could be down with by connecting an intelligent UPS and having the proper package installed. I’m also looking for instruction do do so. But in my humble opinion, it should be standard feature, instead of requiring hacking it.

As for start-up, it would need Wake-On-Lan, which the hardware probably doesn’t support it.

You can use a cron job to do the shutdown. For startup, maybe one of those timers that you plug into the outlet before the power adapter.